Our 19th Annual Photo Contest is now open for entries. You can submit your best images HERE

King Charles Cavalier Spaniel

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Our little Chester is 5 years old and presenting with problems described as syringomayalia. (sp). We live in the metroplex of Dallas/Ft.Worth and would you believe it......there is only 1 clinic that knows anything about this condition. Internet is very discouraging.....no cure, no treatment. Only way to diagnose is MRI and it is super expensive. Nothing to help even when you are sure this is the problem. Needless to say, we are distraught. He is such a sweet and accommodating little friend.

Is anyone familiar with this malady?

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I only know that it is a genetic condition and reputable breeders screen their dogs for the gene before they breed them. It's a pity because they are such precious little beauties.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

The CKC websites are saying well over 50% are afflicted with numerous genetic problems. We are so sad. Sometimes it is obvious he could be suffering and I cannot bear that.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I know, I saw one a few years ago, and just fell in love with the breed. The only dog I would have considered having, as I have a houseful of cats. My DD who is a vet tech, and a Golden Retriever breeder said, don't do it, and explained all the problems these beautiful little dogs have. I feel so bad for you.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Now that I know so many of the symptoms, it is obvious he has been dealing with this for a long time. He is outside at this moment barking at the squirrels.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Oh, that is so sad. Sometimes, we have to put our own feelings aside and consider theirs. I will pray for you to have the strength to make the right decision. Hugs, Jo

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Poor baby - we dealt with Wobblers (our mastiff), another genetic condition and hydrocephalus (similar to what he's got) - unfortunately it's poor breeding/breeders and puppy mills :( - when the time came, we knew

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

My sister got the bright idea to breed them. She got a male and a female. Resulting in 3 pups. Chester was the runt and super shy from the very beginning. She sold the other two and against our will left the baby with us. Shortly after she sold the breeding pair. At the time we had a
West Highland Terrier and a Schi-tzu. The Westy was already 16 years old and we finally allowed her to go over the Rainbow Bridge. The Schi-Tzu developed diabetes about 9 months ago and was so ill, we took her to the bridge, leaving Chester. He grieved as much as we did.
We have kept him very close to us ever since. He is so sensitive. At almost 52 years of marriage, we have had to endure the pain of loosing several animals. From the beginning they are always treated like one of our children. We get very attached.

I pray God to lead us in the care of this sweetheart. I try not to build mountains but some of his actions leave no doubt.

Thank all of you for your empathy. KayJones has already been through the Valley with me that was so much worse.

Christi, you went through it with ME first - I wish I hadn't had to go through it with you - I pray for you every day, Sweet Friend! I love you so much!

Loudonville , OH(Zone 5b)

There is a lot of excellent information at www.cavalierhealth.org. They give excellent information on progression and treatment of SM.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

thank you for the link, slvrwilo. Actually, that is one of the first places I looked. Many of the other websites link back to that one as well. We have a pet door and he has been house trained forever. Now he has started to urinate inside. Still trying to get in touch with a knowledgable vet.

Christi, try asking Palmbob, here on DG, about your fur baby - he's a vet - I'll see if I can get an email address for you.

Edited to add Palmbob's member page - you can dmail him from here:

http://davesgarden.com/tools/mail/pmail.php?q=palmbob

This message was edited Mar 9, 2013 12:00 PM

This message was edited Mar 9, 2013 3:18 PM

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Kay, you are a sweetheart. Going to ask him now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.