An entrance arbor made from a hodge-podge of found things...

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

My neighbors next door had a set of fence panels that had been attached around their porch to keep the dogs from tearing out the screens. When they took them off to glass enclose the porch they were going to throw them away and they still looked new! I quickly slid them behind my workshed on blocks where they sat for 6 months.

My friend Sue had two twin ladder like steel frames from something, and asked me if I wanted them, and I used them as cucumber trellis' the first year.

When I came across a batch of excellent 8ft. 4x4 posts another sat by the roadside for pick-up?!!!,... the idea came to my head that it was time to do something with those fench panels,... and with mostly leftover wood from past projects; this is what came of all that stuff.
The wire panels at the bottom are old small closet shelving for interest. I have Muscadines growing on it and the first picture shows how it looked in July 2012.

The last pictures show how it looks now after Winter as of a couple of days ago. Last Summer I added the stretched Polyrope bridge over the sidewalk stretching to the door arch. I hope to train the grapes over the walk and think it would be fun to have the grapes continue forward and shade the whole walk. If that happens I will eventually have to sink some posts and real framing down the walk for support. That could be fun too!

This message was edited Mar 12, 2013 1:31 PM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That is a great project. I have two old metal storm/security doors that were replaced with new ones. I saved the old ones and think I will remove the glass (very heavy) and put them together as some sort of trellis (or something).

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

It's nice hearing from you Cville and Thank You.

What you've said about those old storm doors got me thinking.... (Its a gray drizzly day here)...

When a home that was being renovated a few blocks up the street; The work guys set 2 smoked panels of thick smoked glass 6ft. x 2.5 ft out by the construction dumpster. I pulled them in and had no idea what I was going to do with them for several months as they sat by my shed. This is not a true T2T story as all the lumber was bought.
I grow succulents and had this one box garde tha was getting too much direct rain during our Summer daily Monsoons here,... and knew they needed cover. I built this arbor using the smoked glass as a cover last June and plan to sand the rough edges and paint it to match the arbor this Spring. It worked great keeping the succulents from rotting from too much water;....and All I had to do was pull clear plastic around the sides and clamp for freeze protection. I think the two twin glass shower doors I have been saving will likely be used similarly. Storm doors are cool too!

If I ever built a greenhouse from scratch and using old windows similarly to the house built out of old windows you have shared with us in your thread,....I think the stormdoors built with the lower slide-up window like mine have with the screen,...would be great at the top for ventilation in that type greenhouse. Just fun thoughts!

David

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Here are the pictures Cville,......I forgot to send them....Ha!

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Wonderful ideas, David, and beautiful execution of the projects. It's great to solve problems with things we find.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes Arlene!

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I have not had an arbour since I sold my house in 2004. I had one welded of rebar that my Dad made me and I had a piece of scuplture welded to the top corner. It supported a wisteria and made a beautiful entry into my shed. I'll have to see if I have any pictures on Dave's garden of it. I know I don't have any saved on this computer.

This is the only picture I think I have and it really does not show up. The "ladder" up both side is welded lengths of rebar. Then, across the top is another ladder constructed of Rebar. I wanted it high enough to put the wisteria on it and still not block entry into the shed. Last time I went by my old house, whoever the newest owner is, took out ALL the rock border, the picket fence, the shed. I can't see into behind the house from the road but I'd bet my 35 foot flower island etc is all gone. Oh well.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4074462

I friend mailed me over 300 tulips etc that I planted late. (On November 1st, she decided she was living WA and didn't want to leave all those bulbs at a rental house!). I am so excited to see they are starting to come up!!! I planted shades of pink tulips, and white, with some other pink or white bulbs in a semi-circle that I just created this past year. It had been a raised bed with cement landscaping blocks, very cute but I could NOT keep the wasps out of the block wall. Besides, on BAD days, my husband needed to park the car close enough to the front porch to reach the hand rail.

It's looking like we may have another move in our near future. OH well.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I was so busy looking at the beautiful green grass and gardens in that photo Pat,...that It took me a while to see the arbor! Great looking garden that year! I wonder what will happen to all my gardening efforts will turn into someday too when I am no longer here. I know that feeling.

What a gift of those Tulip and other bulbs! Send us some pics when you can. I would love to see them growing!

I hope you won't think me nosy for asking;...however I will. Why will you be needing to move again? I wish you well and am thinking it would be not fun to leave those bulbs and beds in the ground that you are developing before you can enjoy them. Hopefully not that soon...

Wishing you and yours well...

David

It is what it is and I just have to trust it will work out. Maybe the perfect renter is out there for the studio we are finishing. (We converted a portion of our home to a studio apartment to help with expenses).

This message was edited Mar 15, 2013 2:11 AM

Newark, DE

Hi David!

I had a few minutes and thought I'd stop in and see what's new and say "Hi" - awesome job on the arbor and recycling dude! I love it!!

Last weekend was so nice - it was sunny, up in the 60's and felt like spring. We were walking up and down our driveway (about 175' feet long) talking and laughing enjoying the warmth and DH's ability to do more walking, post back surgery. I couldn't help but keep looking at stuff in the yard and thinking....... I need to do this and I ought to do that... the whole time. I'm bad I know but it's the way I was raised, when there is work to do, you do it. That idea gets harder the more screwed up I get, but I try when I can. I don't really have a place for an arbor but I have always like them. :-(

I do have some ideas from other people on here for some yard art. It's cold and windy again so not for a while yet but I have to start with cleaning the yard. I have a lot of trees, and between the normal winter and spring storms, we had Hurricane Sandy come through. I have a lot of downed limbs that need cleared and to be honest, I have more limbs currently just raked up under a big tree from the last couple years that need to be removed. I can no longer fake the "mulch look" with them. LOL I think that place under that tree needs a makeover. I have some ideas - now time, energy and some less pain would be nice. Before I get started I'll get a picture, so maybe I'll have a before/after post at some point.

Anyway - I've been busy with everyone else all week and not I have housework to catch up on. Just wanted to say howdy and compliment you're continued excellent work!!

Great job!

Debbei

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Your photography is you're art it seems Debbi,

Just send some new pic's of your world when you can and we'll share idea's like two old artists over the fence!

David

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Pat,

It sounds like you have a lot on your table now, and hope to see you stay right where you are!;...find a great renter;...and am looking forward to seeing pic's of those bulbs in action soon!

Newark, DE

Thanks David. I do love photography and painting. I am sure whatever I decide to do with that under the tree spot will have some painting on something done. I don't think photography will be a part of it though.....but you never know. Honestly, I haven't decided what to do yet beyond cleaning out the piles of twigs gathered below it in the last few years. The dirt is mostly clay and hardpack and completley shaded so growing anything is limited, unless I add a raised bed. That's money and work for a place I intend to move from as soon as possible. So I think it will likely be something enjoyable, and probably by recycling something. Snow, sleet and rain are expected today, so I am miserable. Since I thankfully do not have to go anywhere today I am staying in where it is warm. I won't be dealing with it for a while, until the weather is better. For now, I am just thinking......

I will take a picture of the twig pile I have to deal with. The only photo I have in the computer at the moment doesn't show the pile I speak of, but the location. It was a day last fall when I had washed my 16 year old truck and the Maple leaves had fallen making a nice color contrast. I pulled the truck over there and took some pictures before putting it in the garage. As you can see (looking at the left side) the Maple tree is in the front yard and is seen from the road. At first the small twigs just looked like mulch from a distance, but now, it's obvious it is a twig-branch pile. I need to get rid of them and do something to make a better curb appeal. There was a bird bath under it "once upon a time" but it has broken and only a base remains (the white thing barely seen peaking over the hood). So yeah I want to make it look better but not require a lot of maintenance. I'm not looking for more work. I'm playing with the idea of some concrete something or other. LOL The girls in Clean and Clutter Free forum have been talking about flowers made from dishes which looks pretty cool. Maybe some large toadstools or mushrooms from concrete or dishes. I like the benches made from headboards too. Yup. Lots of ideas all of which might bring some much needed (seldom have) fun and make the yard look better too. Time will tell.

Anyway, here's a pic for the location

Thumbnail by lovetopaint

NICE truck! and the color contrast is pretty.

The birdbath pedestal would make a nice base for a sculpture maybe?

Newark, DE

Thanks Pat. No one believes it's 16 years old. It's my "baby". I ordered it the way I wanted and I try to keep it nice, because I intend to keep it as long as possible. I liked the yellow backdrop too and thought it would make a good photo. It did. I was waiting for the rest of the leaves to fall so I could mow them. I don't rake leaves. It causes to much pain. Ugh!

Thanks for the suggestion on the pedestal. I was going to toss it because it's only plastic, but now you have me thinking....I like the glass sculpture thingies and thought about making one. It could be a base for a plastic dish sculpture thingy ^_^ (sorry the Native American I am, I won't call them totems). I will inspect it and make sure it has not split or cracked or anything before I do but that's a great idea... thank you!

It's raining today with some snow/sleet coming. But I'll get a picture of my twig pile in the next day or so. Any suggestions are welcome..

Debbie

Yes, You might be able to stack something upside down and glue it down really well and then get a really nice stack thing going on!! My old plastic pedestal, I filled with gravel to make sure it had some weight to it.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Your truck is beautiful and so is the picture... Great catch,...It looks like an ad in a magazine!

When I compile to much yard trash for trash day, I have a huge tarp I pull over my truck up to the hood and completely over the bed. I then load up all the branches, twigs and trash ito it, pull the tarp back over the bed and hit the dump. I almost always find something useful when I get there,...like the last time I picked up 5 great 4x4 posts!

At that rate I'd be making a dump run just to go dump-diving!! hehehe

It is sad what gets thrown out. If it's useable, and I dont' want it, I put it in my yard with sign "free" and it's GONE within a few hours. (sometimes minutes!)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I think many items I see thrown away at our dump could be re-purposed but you can't take anything out of it which to me is foolish. You know the old saying--one mans trash is anothers treasure. Our landfills are a major problem and no one wants one in their own backyard so I say re-purpose until all the use of an item is completely gone.

Pat I also place items out by the road in front of my house with free sign. They are never there very long. I put my old pressure washer out there and 2 men stopped within 15 mins. and it was gone. My husb. wouldn't be bothered rebuilding it but they would so that was great.

Keep up the re-purpose process.

Bonnie

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Pat,

The only part of the dump they let you pull from to take home here is the yard trash area, which fortunately lots of folk for some crazy reason throw out perfectly good lumber a lot... I know what Bonnie is saying too,...we are not allowed to take home anything from any other area though,...yet those who work there always have a nice stash going off to the side,...I guess for their friends to come along and pick up for a price!!! HA!

David, I know a couple of the employees now as we all work for the County. Some of them resell what they find... at least it stays out of the land fill that way.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

And if I worked there, I would be creating a stash of my own too Pat!

Every job deserves an honest perk!..........It amazes me the good stuff some folk trash...

Newark, DE

Yup - it pays to look around while walking too, be it in a park or even in parking lots where things get kicked out of cars, or maybe a kid does it, or just dropped. I always find things. Once I walked over to see a small wildflower's bloom at the end of a parking lot, and around the stem was stuck a $10 bill that had apparently blown away from someone. It put a whole new meaning on "take time to stop and smell the roses". LOL I'd like to find that more often.

This months finds -

1. A gold bracelet in the ladies restroom at the grocery store. No one else was in there - it's mine.

2. In the parking lot of Wal-Mart was an Uncle Mike brand, fit's on your belt, double magazine holder for a semi-auto. That's mine too if DH doesn't use it first! ^_^

People seldom look down and you'd be surprised what you find. I started doing so when I was in a car accident that tore up both knees, my back and well,....most of me really. I wanted to be sure I would not step on an uneven surface that would cause me to fall. I've found CD's, change, tools, other jewelry.... all kinds of stuff over the years.

Around here we have recycle places that are open to the public. No one is there like at the dump. So if you take something who knows, or who cares? It's being recycled anyway!

I too put things out by the end of the road marked "free". It's always gone in no time. If it's going to rain I might put an ad on Craig's List in the free section to make sure it's gone. I do remove the ad once it's taken, so as not to cause anyone a wasted trip.

Recyle everything and don't forget to look down!

Debbie

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

It's interesting you mentioned some of these things Debbie...

Just yesterday,... I found a 5 dollar bill on my front sidewalk early in the morning. It helped pay for the only one left beautiful little Pink Guava bush I found at Lowe's yesterday while I was searching for new Grape arbor development stuff... (7.99)

I will start looking down more too!

I hope the gold bracelet wasn't the last thing of value whoever lost it had though...

This message was edited Mar 24, 2013 8:37 PM

One of my fellow students when I was in Grad school found a nice diamond. It must have come out of someone's ring etc. It was a quality one and bigger than any I ever owned! She had it set in a necklace.

A co-worker, Maintance for the county, said she worked the free dump day this year. She was telling me the stuff she rescued. She' going to keep an eye out for the dressers some people I know need. Just solid, any color, my husband could repairs if needed. That would help a lot.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I need a dump friend!!!

Herndon, VA(Zone 6b)

Very nicely done! I can't wait to see how it looks once you have finshed the walkway. :)
~C~

This message was edited Apr 13, 2013 4:34 PM

Well... we'll see. Nothing yet! LOL I have been sending her all of my Sister's stuff that she is rejecting from her Ebay business so that Co-workers daughter would have some stuff to resell on the virtual Facebook yardsale. I haven't checked lately to see how she is doing on that.

Nice project you done!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.