Any on interested in Arabian horses

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

There is a great book "Drinkers of the Wind" by Carl Raswan that no can be downloaded to a Kindle or to your computer through a Kindle ap. I read the book many years ago and have always wanted to buy it and other books by him. Was so glad to see it as a ebook
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Raswan

Richmond, TX

I had forgotten about that book! I think I read it when I was about 10.

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Quote from wren107 :
Any on interested in Arabian horses

Yes wren, I am.
Are you giving one away ?
I need one to replace 'Topaz'.

No horses here, just wanted to spread the word that a great book about the Arabian horse and a man that did a lot for the breed is now out as a ebook and they where able to keep the great pictures in it.

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

OK then Wren.
But I really can't ride a book.
It would be cheap to feed all the same.

true. I just get his second book and discovered that it is signed by the author and not just with his name.beautifully done. I need to pass this one on to some one who is really into the Arabian horses--after I have read it again.( he lived among the tribes over there and brought some of their best horses to this country)

Richmond, TX

Today's Arabians in this country are not at all the same as those animals. - Our loss!

yes

South Hamilton, MA

Is that 'drinkers of the wind?' I could buy it after you refinsih it for our GD.

No "Drinker of the Wind" is a Ebook form Amazon now. This one is "Black tents of Arabia"

If you do not have a Kindle you can down load the Kindle program for a PC

South Hamilton, MA

No thanks, but it was a good idea in theory.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Arabians are still my favorites after all these years. I read Drinkers of the Wind years ago. Loved it then, I'll look for it on my Kindle. Thanks wren107.

And you are right, porkpal. They are not the same today, which is why I hesitate to buy one now that I can afford to have another. They all seem to be legs and neck now. No substance to them. Mine was built like an elegant brick outhouse and he could be shown western or English. Was game for anything and very, very smart. Not getting that same vibe from the current vogue of Arabian. I'll probably look for a Highlands pony or a cob or something along those lines. Maybe in a couple of years after we build our barn and I semi-retire.

South Hamilton, MA

If you know the linage of your former horse look for one out of the same line. I know that you have to be careful with Morgans & get one with Lippet ancestry,

Richmond, TX

I agree on the Lippet Morgans. The Polish Arabs also seem to be more the sport- horse type than the Egyptians. However I am not an authority on either breed. Thoroughbreds are my choice.

South Hamilton, MA

How would one find out the lineage of the Arab?

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

This site has some info on bloodlines down toward the bottom of the list under "Education": http://www.arabianhorses.org/default2.asp

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Mine was Raffles on both sides. A very fun horse.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images