my shed-all recycled materials

Flagler Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

My hubby and I moved to our forever home, and he built me a shed, and a green house, using all recycled items, the only bought item was the plastic to enclose my green house. he started out with out any plans, no thought at all, except for what the roof of my shed was going to be. The cap off his pickup, as we didn't want it to sit in the back yard. He sat it up on support beams, and the idea took off from there, Next, a friend of ours, who lives on the beach, literately, his home sits on the dune's, and to cross over the dune's he has a long boardwalk. The walk needed to be replaced after many years of abuse by water, wave's, salt , sun and anything else the weather and nature could throw at it. Well, we took all the old planks, and those became our walls, and roof over the cap.He ended up building a porch on it, as we had plenty of planks to do the whole project. No plans, just a plan it as you go deal. I found a window at the thrift shop, and that was the finishing touch. Inside the shed are all reclaimed, re-cycled items, from my work bench, stools, lantern's, 2 oil inside, and 2 electric one's outside. The tools I got from various yard sales, and am still looking for things to decorate with. The green house was a dog kennel left behind by the past tenants,. He tore the original roof off, saved the trusses for the new roof, added some wood strips to attach the plastic to, and a few days later, I had a green house. I didn't wait to find used shelves, I was ready to get my seeds started so I went out and purchased the shelves. The next thing I'm going to look for is a window for in the green house, as the temps inside have been hitting 100 degrees during the day, imagine what it'll be like in the middle of summer. Right now I sit a fan in the door way and blow the cooler air into the shed, and that seems to keep the temps around 80 degrees. My plants love it, a little mist, and some heat, and the seeds turn into seedlings, I just love the way things turned out! Here are some picture's ! BTW, the front porch columns are also recycled, we only had 3, so my hubby cut 1 in half, seeing how thoses columns would fit against the wall, they didn't need to be full!

Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad

here are some more picture's !

Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad

And a few more, Thanks for looking, and Happy recycling!! Jami

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

I love it! Great job.

Jan

Ewing, NE

WoW I want one!!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Great inspiration!!!

Thanks everyone! I love it to, My hubby is the best when it come's to wood, and construction! No blue prints needed! I'm waiting for him to add a second floor! (just Kidding) But, I wouldn't put it past him if he could find more free lumbar! lol

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I think its genious Jami.

Thanks for sending all the interior pic's.

Love all the details from the truck topper roof to the lanterns and on and on! Just great, and tidy too....... We should be neighbors!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nifty! Nice recycling job. Congrats!

Graham, NC(Zone 7b)

I love the quirky style of the shed decorations. Keeps it fun and light.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

I would love to have a shed like that!! I'm all for recycling materials and think you have a great hubby to build you a one of a kind shed. Thanks for all the great pictures! I need more land...................

Newark, DE

Awesome! I love the idea, not only for it's usefulness but the recyling aspect. The truck cap lets in light too!

Great job!

Debbie

Englewood, FL

Wow, I love the rustic look, it'll take a category 5 hurricane to blow that thing down.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Some fun ideas! I'd like to find an old camper and gut it for a storage unit... maybe some day!

Alexandria, VA

That's really, REALLY awesome! I can even figure out how to fix the doors on my old falling apart sheds.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Love it, he did an awesome job and I love the green pillars on the shed. Thanks for sharing.

Pam

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

very nice !!!

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

How clever..

Laie, HI

That garden shed is really cool. Love your roof and the half door and the lamp.

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Nice!!

A Happy Thank You to all who have commented here!!!! I have some up date's to the exterior! Need to get some picture's to show you, but I'm still trying to figure how to keep the rain out!! We never added any thing to the boards as my DH put the shed together, wanting to keep it as rustic looking as possible, and evrythime we get a pouring down, windy rain, I get leaks all over inside. :( make's me sad), we are working on sealing each crack in the slats, it's taking awhile, but hey, I still use it as what it's meant for, storage, and a work space, i keep anything that would be damaged by water in the GH he built me, so all works out well! Thanks, and if anyone has an idea to water proof my shed, I'm open for suggestions! We've been slowly filling the cracks in with water proof caulk, it's working, but when it dry's, it leaves some space for the water to come through! We keep adding, and the water keeps finding it's own way in!! Yike's!!

pic 1 today's view, the honey suckle is going up the side of the building, pic 2, I was up on the roof, laying some twine for the honey suckle line to grab on to, planning on adding more to cover the entire building, and pic 3, was when i first started the vine's, just adding some plants around the building!

I hope to add some more picture's to this thread, as things take off! We're going into summer, and so things tend to slow down, but I have some vine's started in hormone rooting, and hope to fill in where I need the honey suckle! I hope to establish a shed full of climbing vine's, and morning glory's! I haven't started the morning glory's yet at the shed, but have them on my fence's that surround my gardens!

Thanks, Jami

Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad Thumbnail by jamibad
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

It was really good hearing from you here again Jami,

Everything is looking great and I still love that shed. Look how clean you are keeping that pool!!!

Keep up the good works and you do everything you do well.

David

( Gushing) Thanks David, I just seem to run out of steam lately, I feel so tired, and am hoping it's just the weather! Can't seem to get in the yard and do what is needed! I need to bounce back, and get on my own thread about raised gardens! I'm just too darn tired. My hands are swollen, they don't want to work, everything I type has to be gone over with spell check, much easier than correcting it myself. lol! Sad But True!!

Anyway, I have lot's to catch up on with in my own gardens, and will start posting tonight when the insomnia hits! Many picture's and growth going on in my gardens, for sure!

BTW: It's easy to keep the pool clean, it's an "Easy Set, By Intex" lol!!! I even managed to build my self a pool vacuum, no $150.00 stuff for me! lol!!! That will be a new thread!!!

See you there, later!!! Love ya all, don't let the bed bugs bite, keep your sanity tucked in around you, and may God look down on you and give you many blessings! Jami

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.