April rains end the drought???

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

We are on our way ,, Hey everybody!!! Lunch at Will "s
Our cat likes scrunching into places , under the bed , behind the water heater , places where nobody is , Then as soon as your asleep , when you awaken , There is a cat sleeping on you!!
My Dad , year's ago hated cats ,, Because one use to run through the house and land on him with it's claws out when he was real young . When he was asleep , awake , whatever , He all cats forever .. Me I think cats are cats , they are cute , as long as you are not trying to guess personality ,, They definitly have that !!!

That is a neat pic of that , like he is trying to scrunch into a suit or something !

My little new starts are still in the water tank . Hoping still ...

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Sure, I got lunch, c'mon over everybody!
Hehe.. Rudy is a big girl cat. Hey, the girl on The Cosby Show was named Rudy! lol
My friend saw that photo at work and she says Rudy thinks there is tuna at the other end of the box!
Yeah, cats can be quite a handful at times. When I was 5 one scratched my face up! I still have scars on my eyebrows, but it didn't do any major damage to me fortunately.
Today, I like cats though, they're good company!
Hope your starts get a good drink, ju!
I remember one time in my sleep a cat scratched me jumping down from her food bowl next to my bed. She scratched me about 1/2" from my eye! This was years ago, it was summer-time and quite hot at nite. Note: Never put a cat's food bowl next to your bed! lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I concur ju. This fickle Spring weather keep you busy figuring things out one day or one moment at a time! Umbrella, sweater, sunscreen, flipflops, snow boots, all in one day! lol

We didn't have cats when I was growing up. My parents were raised on farms and believed that cats belonged in the barn. Since we lived in town and didn't have a barn, they didn't see any reason for a cat. lol

Will, it seems that you're holding up pretty well on the new job. That's definitely a mood elevator. : )

Yes, that job is going well! I'm quite funny looking, I am all bruised up! I have about 10 - 15 bruises on me, some you can't see because I wear pants! Boxes just hit you and fall on you, a few days ago a wall of boxes came down when I wasn't looking and knocked me down! Another time I missed a step in a trailer and fell about 5 feet, I got a dark bruise on my leg but I was lucky, I pay close attention now! I would say I help unload 5 trailers full of boxes in 3 hours. I have worked by myself a few times but 2 or 3 people can do a trailer quicker than you'd think. It really doesn't matter a whole lot on age, although some of the boxes can be quite heavy. A 135 lb. box fell on my boss's feet the other day and broke his toes. I need to dig out my steel-toed boots before my toes get broke! It's good exercise and they are always hiring if anybody wants a job! Just say you know me and if you dmail me I'll give you my last name.
This one guy asked me how old I was the other day and I said 75! He looked at me funny and smiled and said, "really", I said no, but that I didn't really want to put my age out there.
I think I look my age, so that's enuff for them to know!
He's cool, he works hard too, he's only 24, he says I'm "OG", "OG" is "Original Gangster"! I just laughed and said that was cool, I'm good with that. There is many older people there. I'm glad it's only about 3 hours myself! rofl
Will

This message was edited Apr 12, 2013 12:45 PM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Saw a few snow flakes today. I can't wait til it warms up again!! I only uncovered some of the plants today because I thought it was gonna get warmer than it was but the plant vendor told me not to do anymore since it's still too cold. Fine by me!! lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, I am the "Queen of Comedy". HA! HA! HA! (imagine Phyllis Diller's voice and laugh) I always thought OG stood for "Organic Gardening". I would have totally misunderstood.

Snowflakes? I heard from my co-workers in Minneapolis today and they're not happy with all the ice and snow; esp. since they're suppose to get more next week. I feel for them, really! I was reading that this is the snowiest April for MN since 2002. They couldn't believe that we had temps in the 80s yesterday. I reassured them that it wasn't good since the warm weather triggered the violent storms.

My husband's surgery is scheduled early Mon., 4/29. Then he'll be in the hospital for a few days. Our youngest daughter finishes college finals just in time to stay home with her dear old dad.

Oh me either, c'mon warm, but not too warm! In 2 weeks it'll probably be 90!
Phyllis Diller AND Lucy Ball, now there's some Queens of Comedy! Hehe.. "Organic Gardening" is OG! Isn't there a gardening magazine called OG or something like that?!
This guy at work didn't really seem to be the gardener type, so I kinda guessed he meant "Original Gangster"!

Yeah, poor MN. I've never been there but MN. sounds really neat, I think I'd like to live there. Always dumped on with snow and whatnot in the Winter, that'd be rough, digging your car out all the time and getting stuck in the snow and sliding everywhere. I don't envy them there, it's not a lot different here though, just less Winter hazards, quite a bit less.

I'm sure your husband's surgery goes fine, he'll be back to playing the drums in no time!

Thanks green, yeah, that job is a mood elevator! It's a good job, I plan to go there tonite and handle me some Fedex packages like nobody's business, (hand to surface of course)! I also concur, it is a mood elevator as well as an attention elevator.
Will

This message was edited Apr 11, 2013 9:18 PM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I've been subscribing to OG for over 20 years. I've saved every single issue. I get very excited when a new issue arrives in the mail. I read them over and over and over... this is true! They also are full of nice pics. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

From 1972 thru 1979 I had every issue of OG small book ,back then , great , great , garden magazine !!!! Folks sold them all while I away during the 80's .. grumpus, rumpus, mumbus , Oh well , I least I had and read them while I had them..

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Ju, You got my attention! That would absolutely break my heart if something happened to my saved back issues. I wish that I had know about OG back then. I don't remember how or when exactly I found out about their magazine. I have several Rodale Press gardening books. I can't imagine the wealth of knowledge that you have stored in your head from reading all those older issues. Do you ever visit the website?
http://www.organicgardening.com/

On this website, you can sign up for a free download of the first (1942) OG issue.
http://www.organicgardening.com/organic-farming-and-gardening-1942

Here's a link to browse 18 back issues of OG mag.
http://books.google.com/books?id=fsMDAAAAMBAJ&rview=1
The Dec. 2005/Jan. 2006 has some good articles. See page 6 and 10; 28 thru 33; and 41 thru 48.

My favorite issues were when Mike McGrath was Editor-In-Chief. You can find him now at "You Bet Your Garden".
http://whyy.org/cms/youbetyourgarden/

So ju, are you going to this gardening event?
May 11: Indiana Native Plant and Wildflower Society's "Native Alternatives for Gardening"
9:30 a.m. 12:30 p.m.; Park Tudor School, Upper Gymnasium, 7200 N. College Avenue, Indianapolis IN 46240 (Use the 71st Street entrance)

Bedtime now. Sweet dreams and for those who are working, "Hi Ho Hi Ho"...

Yes, HI HO HI HO off to work we go! Ha Ha!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Currently a chilly 39 F with clear skies and a high of 54 F. Some outlying areas with frost warnings. By Sunday, the predicted high is 78 F, but I'm not packing away my sweaters yet. By Thurs., back to today's temps with rain. This is "YoYo" weather.

At 4 pm today, I start a 4 day weekend and I'm planting the rest of my cool weather crops. : )

Ack! 39 is cool. Here, right now, it's only 42. But, your 39 was much earlier, I expect it's closer to your 54 now, green. It's only going up to 45 or so here today. The temp. is supposed to go up this weekend, they forecast 74 for Sunday and Sat. it's still 57, that's better than 30 I suppose! Brains of green can't have a 4 day weekend, nope, you must go to work! lol
I'm just kidding! I'd like to do that but I only have 2 weeks in at my new job. I'm glad to see that OG goes back so far, I wouldn't have guessed organic gardening was that popular then, glad to see it got in some people's gardening. I would have thought that was kinda like cigarette smoking then, everybody thought it was cool so they didn't really care about the health affects.

Planting the rest of your cool weather crops eh green? I think you're a little warmer than we are here. I don't know if I should be putting much out right now, it just seems so cold at times.
It's funny, it's so cool at nite but yet my shirt is soaked in sweat when I get off work! Man, that is one cold ride home! I need to start taking a dry shirt to change into when I get off work.

Ju, those seedlings you sent me are still green, that's a good sign. Many of their green leaves are even standing up, which is a better sign!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes gb, those mags were a great , still sometimes I will read OG.
I doubt I will make that in indy 45 minutes plus then the City navigation and lots of traffic I am not use to , I use to go to a garden show that was next to Park Tudor school , many years ago , I lived a lot closer back then.

Yes Will , when they stay green and grow , best kind to have , After those have grown a while they are all an easy to no care plant , if the willows root , a couple years of occasional water until they are well established , Once the catnip makes a 4 to 6 inch clump it could grow in a dry desert . I don't think I watered the BES last year and it still grew the same . Once their in, they are in .

Great! Are the Willow cuttings, Salix Discolor, (Pussy Willow)? A dry desert! That's pretty dry! I'd love to have a bunch of Black-Eyed Susans! I've seen yours and it is quite a lot of them!
Them and Purple Coneflowers, you see them all over here and for native flowers I have had so much trouble getting them started! And the Catnip will be very popular! I'll send those houseplant cuttings and babies to you as soon as it warms up and stays warm for a while, which shouldn't be far away!
I edited my post up there, do you know how hard it is not to sound like a pompous you know what?! lol

I also read OG. One of my favorite magazines aside from Western Horseman. lol.

This yo yo weather is driving me nuts. I want to get outside and get my friend's garden dug up so the grass roots can hopefully die off then we can have it tilled under. And I want to dig in my garden. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gb I forgot to thank you for the links above to OG ,, oops ..

Yes it hard not sound pompous when typing about things sometimes . Only most take it in stride as we are not professional writers here ,, it happens )lol eh ?

Those are from a cloned male Salix Discolor native U.S. The BES clump I showed before in pics is or will be shortly three to four times as large ,So how are your Purple Coneflowers . doing better?

Pepper I think the weather has got us all, What we want and would like from old mother nature just doesn't seem to matter anymore , Only want it to be comfortable enough to play or chore some outside, but it is not happening ,, Rain and cold here , not complaining about the rain ,only the cold ...

Same here. We need the rain to hopefully offset last year's drought but at same time I want a big enough break to get out and dig. lol. Us gardners are never satisfied. lol

My biggest goal for Mother Nature is 2 or 3 days next week of no rain or snow. I don't want it doing anything on Friday or Saturday. It can do whatever it wants on Sunday. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Last year it was warm and wet until the last week of May Then nothing 0.3inches in June Two for like a half an inch in July . Years like that are not good !not good at all!!
That entire 29 days without rain to itty bitty rain fall amounts destroyed bunches ...and with 116 and 118 degrees with that it was a long season...

Thanks ju, I try not to sound like a jerk, if I ever do someone feel free to call me a jerk! lol My Purple Coneflowers kinda remain to spring forth a little yet. Last Fall I put several seed-heads (flowers) off the 2 Echinacea Purpurea plants that I have, so if all those did alright I should have many more Purple Coneflowers. Someone had said it looked like they had Aster Yellows so hopefully their seedlings will be alright this year, they're the only ones I have. The Coneflower seedlings had the little tell-tell green leaves, all conical shaped like Coneflowers, so the fingers are crossed! I took photos of the new additions, ju, I hope they look okay since the mail. -

I hope your birthday cookout goes off without a hitch, pepper! Now I want to read OG too! I think I'm going to look up green's link's!

That Willow sounds neat, and you sent me 4 of them, ju!
2:15 am comes early again, dangit! I've already slept about 4 to 5 hours when I got off work this morning so I don't really need the regular amount of sleep tonite before work.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I also had aster yellows on mine last year. It seems like it was a bad year for it. My coneflowers are over 10 years old so I just pulled the ones that looked like they were infected and left the rest. I don't want to put fresh seed down if I can avoid it. My plants are slow to come up right now too so don't give up on them yet. Normally I have a patch of green right about now but they are still hibernating. Daylilies are coming up like gangbusters though!! Irises are so-so. Leaves are floppy instead of firmly upright like normal. We'll see how they go this year.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hello, I've been busy because Chloe spent the evening and I cooked for everyone.

Will, I know that you would enjoy Mike McGrath's humor. He was the OG Mags Editor-In Chief when I first started receiving OG. Occasionally, prudish person would complain about his garden humor. I'm glad that he's still writing articles and giving out advice. Here's a link to Mike's 4/5/13 broadcast and article.

http://www.wtop.com/902/3274633/Garden-Plot-Some-vegetables-need-to-be-planted-now

I've figured out what's going on here. Will is a plant junkie & ju is the supplier. (just kidding)

It's very cold here. I cringe every time one of the dogs wants let outside. I just walked Carla & Chloe to the door & I didn't follow them to the car waving goodbye like I usually do. It's so chilly out tonight. I'm going to go crawl underneath my covers. Warm dreams everyone. : )

Haha! A plant junkie, that's funny! Thanks green, I'll check that link out. Prudish people, they ought to be ashamed! lol

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Hi ya all, been reading and I guess I missed a lot. My basement is filled with plants and seedlings, and I have trays of the stuff I started in January ready to transplant to the garden, but it is supposed to snow again thursday here.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

like a few blooms ,? smells good !LOL

I had not seen hardly any bees in a few years , walk within 5 feet of that plum and it sounds like a power plant hummimg!! The entire hive came to visit!!LOL

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Hi there Debra, we haven't heard from you in a while in this forum, about 3 and a half years to be exact, you were at our Fall RU 2009, our last one! You came with AuntB, she's a nice lady too, we haven't heard from her in a while either. Derby, KS. was on the news the other day, well a lady from Derby, KS., they were talking about the Wichita State Shockers, you know us in and around Kansas City, Mo. are Shockers fans now! They came close to winning it all in NCAA men's basketball. They lost out to Louisville, Ky. by a mere 2 shots or 4 points in the Final Four, Louisville went on to win it all. But, it looked like Wichita State gave Louisville a better run for the championship than Michigan did after that. KU who?! It's Wichita State!!

I went over to a friend's house and got a bunch of ornamental grass today, I've already planted it, now if only I knew what it was! Would anybody know what kind it is? - (it's flat looking because she went over it with a lawnmower she said) I'll also post a photo of it as a mature grass that was over at my friend's that I didn't dig up, - (it's the second photo). It doesn't look too good how I planted it, but it was so much it would've taken a long time to make sure all the roots of all the little plugs were in soil, a lot of it I just poured potting mix over after it was all in. Also, I potted up several pots, big and small, of it, so I'll have more if I come up with somewhere to put it or give it away, if anybody wants some, anybody? If we have an RU I could bring some.
Here's a photo of where I planted it and of it. It's in this little triangle shaped empty spot between the ramp and the steps and the porch. - Also, they kinda have a minty smell to them.
Does anyone recognize this other plant she let me dig up? It kinda resembles that broadleaf weed, but I really doubt that's what it is, but who knows! It has kind of a greenish/purplish hue,
maybe someone will recognize it, (the last 2 photos)? Geez, I hope it's not a weed! It's potted up just in case!

Hope pepper had a good cookout!

Nice blooms there, ju, and go bees!
Will

This message was edited Apr 14, 2013 6:30 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

What do you say everyone 2pic lemon or nut grass last pic Coral bells ....

i don't mean to overlook saying hi and welcome to anyone , so hello everybody !!
joeswife ) especially you ,,

Where did billyp go? spring biz ? maybe?

kinda looks like red sage to me, I had some last year, havn't seen it come up yet.
I like the reds in foilage, love the beefsteak perilla. a lady gave me a spot of it and now I have it year after year.

WSU outdid themselves for sure. My son who is 36 has Shocker blood in his veins, he loves the KC chiefs too. lots of gold and black and red and white at his place.
I just called AuntB the other day to check on her, she is finally working. She has a small plant store in eskridge in summer. She works at a nursing home, she got laid off from her job of 13 years two years ago.
I work full time and forgot about the Central thread, so sorry for that. still have all the stuff I came home with from the ru, tho.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The big game every year was Kansas City and Oakland ,, Of course Len Dawson and George Blanda were the Quarterbacks back then ,,Some of the best historical Football ever was played in those games
and""I WAS THERE!!!! to See !!!!! WAH HOO!!!!!

Will, cookout this Sat. The cooler weekend. lol.

I think the grass might be liriope. It doesn't get very tall and the leaves look like that. Not sure on the other one. Post it in Plant ID and see what they say.

Hi Debra!! Glad you are back on here!! Tell AuntB I said hi!!

Getting some more rain now. As long as it doesn't rain Friday and Saturday I'm perfectly ok with that. lol

Lemon or Nut Grass eh, for the first 3 pics and Heuchera for the last 3 eh, juhur?
Red Sage for the last 2 photos? Thanks all on those.

Yeah, unemployment kinda stinks, I know too! I have a part-time job now that will have to do for now. It doesn't pay bad per hour so I'm lucky there but I work like a dog from the beginning to the end of the shift, everybody has to, or be behind and maybe fired! Right now, I got about 20 bruises on me, it makes people gasp when they see me! I only bruise from little accidents now though, I pay closer attention anymore or I'd likely break a bone eventually.
Yes, those earlier Kansas City Chiefs games musta really been something to see, especially in person.
Oh, you don't have to be sorry about the Central thread, Debra, life happens as we all know. You still have that stuff eh? I don't remember what I took that time, maybe it was Mimosa trees for one, maybe some Weeping Willow cuttings that I rooted also, and some black plastic pots for the prizes, (hey, they were new..lol), oh boy!
Will

Those pants you sent me, ju, seem to be plugging right along, except for that SpiderPlant baby, I can't seem to find it. It may have turned brown and shriveled up, if it did that, it did it fast, because I look at them many times each day!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Liriope eh, thanks. I have one variegated Liriope, maybe that's the plain green one eh?
Okay, I'll see what they say in the Plant Id forum too.
Oh I see, this coming Sat. is your cookout.
Will

This message was edited Apr 14, 2013 8:29 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

You should know the leaf at the top of the pot in pic #2 is a BES but those other leaves are looking like milk thistle , I have them in my garden they get into everything I hope that has not happened.
I was careful when cleaning them but it could of happened ,, so watch them carefully and do not let them get loose if they are ..!! They are a Tiger,!!!

Those leaves should turn darker green before long ..

Okay, thanks, I'll watch them, yeah, I don't want no steenking Thistle getting loose! lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I should of added the plants are small and they look different when smaller , Your pic is nice and clear only I cannot always tell with plants that are small .difficult to ID such from a pic until you have seen them many times.. For me anyway ....

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The thstle does what it is suppose to do as an herb ,, it is edible peeled , The buutterflies love them ,, I think they are gorgeous in a field ! Only not when they are crowding out my other flowers or I get a needle in myself ... ow, ow,ow...

Yeah, I think it's pretty too, but not with the garden stuff. I remember as a kid it was everywhere in this field by our house. One year, I was coming home from work and a car ran me off the road, I went into the median at about 60 mph and the purple thistle heads were hitting my hood like a machine gun! I got out of that without a scratch, I got back on the road eventually.

do you all know what this is??

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hi all! It's 11:15pm & the first time I've had a chance to be online. We've been busy all day. For one, went fishing. I've exhausted & heading to bed. I took a pic of the pear tree in full bloom. So is the crabapple, grape hyacinths, & tulips. I noticed that my radishes and spinach sprouted. Didn't even have time to garden this weekend. Talk later. Good night!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.