April rains end the drought???

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Not me Debra, sorry, I'm terrible at id'ing plants. Hi greeny, busy is good, but welcome back! : ) I wanted to mention that in the Plant id forum the general consensuses on that first one up there (about 14 posts up) was Liriope and the second purplish one, Ajuga, Ajuga reptans, (Bugleweed).

Oh, thanks, ju. Many times I take many photos because sometimes there is alot of blurry ones, especially if the lighting isn't good, I delete the blurry ones so I can't post them. Usually always a photo in the daylight comes out good, cloudy or not.
Now I remember what I took to the RU in Fall 2009, I had taken photos of them. It looks like some Wondering Jews, Mimosas, Weeping Willows and Sycamores, here they are that year. -
Here is my Japanese Maple 'Ornatum' from Ebay for $13.49 (plus shipping) coming along. -
Here is some of what I hope are Purple Coneflower seedlings, last Fall I put the brown Coneflower flowers in these pots at the top of the photo, (in the square pots is Rose-Of-Sharon cuttings), that big black pot at the bottom is empty.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hello to all my wonderful garden buddies! : )

Will, you have got a regular plant nursery going on there. With your brain and brawn, maybe you should! If they won't hire you, hire yourself!

My dad loved Rose of Sharon. I had a few growing that he gave me, but they were replaced with the Nanking Cherry bushes. I didn't like my dad's shrubs for a good reason. He planted them curb side in front of his house. When I'd pull up in front with the kids during the summer months, they couldn't get out on the curb side because the shrubs were too bushy and always covered with bees. I do admit that they were very attractive. My dad was very proud of them.

I just got a call that my husband is almost finished up at the hospital, so I've got to run. I'll check in next chance I get. It's our 25th wedding anniversary today.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Happy Anniversary! I LOVE ROS, but had to dig mine up out front for house repair, so I am starting over.
The basement Gradens have been wonderful for me all winter. this is the turtle area..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Super busy again. Sat with the grandkids three times last week and have everyone this Saturday.

We have been getting GOOD rains and still have chances this week. I'm amazed how things are growing. I didn't clean the flower beds off completely, but it sure looks like I did. I see a lot of places that need work.

It's too wet to get in the garden. I knew I should have put peas in. Trouble is, we hung the tomato cages on the pea fence and I didn't take the time to move them, or I would have planted them. Its early tho and I am so glad to have the rain first.

I've picked up dew worms twice now. The first small batch went to my Dad for fishing. The second batch went in my compost pile. I wanted to save as many as I could from getting run over.

I'm going out and walk the beds in a while.

Have a beautiful day everyone!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Hello everyone!

Hi Will I am back...rofl....I see above where you were inquiring... ;) Nice to be remembered. Oh yeah I don't think there is a safe planting date until almost the 10 of May, I know last year that wasn't true but normally it is still pretty cool at night for tropicals. I agree with Pepper I think the grass is liriope. It is quite expensive to buy and it is a clumping grass, folks use it alot in borders, cause it doesn't get huge like the other ornamental grasses, but great for landscaping. If you need coneflowers (purple ones), I have them usually come up by the 1,000's I am guessing the same will happen if it ever warms up. I always take them to the plant sale.

My peach trees are crazy in bloom and they are predicting 30's end of this week, fingers crossed they are wrong and it will be hotter, daffs are enjoying the cooler temps and now the hyacinth are in bloom. Won't be long before the iris....

Yesterday at my house it was so windy it wasn't possible to work outside. I had wanted to work on the potting bench, but couldn't cut anything because the saw dust about blinded me. I did get some plants planted. DH got me 4 blueberry bushes and 4 grape vines....they are been in the box for 2 weeks. I was afraid they were going to die inside those plastic bags so I put them in some potting soil until the temps calm down. Oh yeah about a week or so ago Walmart had tomato plants out for sale full of blossoms and tomatoes on them. I bought one because I knew I could put it in the solar room. They were way too expensive but....anyway people were putting 4 or more in carts and I am thinking wowzer hope you all got a greenhouse or solar room cause it won't stay this nice and that would really be alot of money to lose.

I have a ton of lettuce seeds, having never planted that stuff, is this a good time?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Plant the lettuce now. They like cooler weather.

I have given up on digging up the grass and river rocks from my friend's new flower bed and I'm gonna tell her to Round up the area. About the time it's ready to be planted it'll be warm enough. Or is there a homemade recipe that works just as good and maybe allow us in there quicker?

Happy Birthday Bp!! Make sure you go to Birthday forum for our thread!!

What is a dew worm?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthworm

Oh lol! We have
Iil ones and nite crawlers 8 + inches long in the company pile. Turtle food!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Those are like the worms in my compost pile that I used for fishing bait yesterday.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I do believe that turtles were probably the bait stealers at the pond where we were fishing.

Yes, I have grown a lot of plants on occasion, kinda more hodge-podge I think, not really a nursery! My brain and brawn eh?! Thanks, but I don't know about those!
I've thought alot about starting a landscaping business in past years but really not when I should have, when I was younger, now I'm a bit older and I don't know about being on my knees and hauling pavers and stuff. Although, I may still do it and rely on hired help to do the heavy work! I kinda doubt it though, I better just focus on paying the bills at this point! lol
Glad to hear your husband's polyp surgery went smoothly, and Happy 25th Anniversary Betty, that is a milestone to be proud of. Oh yes, that Rose-Of-Sharon is a beauty, even though it's only the plain lavender one. I'll post a photo of it before I trimmed it WAY down, it was rubbing on that window up there on the second floor. It's my bedroom and it sounded like someone was breaking in! - It is now about 5 feet tall, in the photo, it was in flower. Would you like some of these cuttings of it, green? I'll trade you some for some of those Nankings. I expect those 3 cuttings up there to take, they don't show any signs of life yet but I've grown them from cuttings before, they come alive a little later. Would anyone else like a ROS cutting?

The turtle area eh Debra?! Do you house a turtle?! Your basement garden really looks delightful. It sure would be nice to have all that stuff to put outside, it's like an instant oasis out in the yard! I always have some stuff to put out too, it's enjoyable to finally get all that nice tropical and marginal stuff out when it's warm after babying the stuff all Winter.

Hi billyp, welcome back, I bet your flowerbeds and everything are a lot of work, I've seen pics of them all, it's like half your yard! It's very beautiful and eyecatching, I bet people slow down in their cars when they come to your house. Hehe.. you save your worms for fishing! A friend does that with Japanese Beetles, only he throws them by the gallon in his pond, he says fish gobble them up as fast as he throws them in! Happy Birthday, billyp!

Hi happ, yes I was inquiring of you! You know, I have to keep track of folks! That Liriope isn't cheap I've seen. From what I've seen at Lowes and Home Depot, I believe it's about $7 for a one gallon pot of it. I am lucky, she gave me a bunch of it and I can get a bunch more of it, she said it spreads like wildfire! I'm thinking I had a bunch of seedlings of Purple Coneflower come up. I could very likely be doing good on them now, only time will tell on that, they could all be weeds..lol Thanks for the kind offer on them happ, I'll sure keep that in mind. Eeek! I hope my Peach tree don't get zapped too! I've got to think of some kind of net for it or something, the squirrels, (or something) relieved me of every peach on it last year!

And Happy Birthday to you too, pepper!

Here is my purple Liatris planter, (it's big and rectangular). I saw some of the Blazing Star bulbs were by the surface just waiting for a squirrel to come by and eat them so I covered them up! - Those 2 green things in there are just 2 little IcePlants that I put in there for grins.
Here is some of what I hope are Coneflower seedlings. -
Juhur is hiding!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Rescue all turtles from hiway 166 and 77 south, I have picked many waterturtles and released them, buy we kept gamera and goji they are both female. Gamera is old,she has been spun around a few times by cars.

Is it peppers birthday? Wow! Hope your birthday was fantastic. ;)

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

BTW, my Gardener's Delight cherry tomato plants have topped the growing area & are starting to bend over. I need to start the hardening off process real soon! Enjoying the perwinkle. It's been several years ago since I planted it. At one point, I thought that it all died. I really need to take some pics while it's blooming. My witch hazel and hydrangeas have leaves. The button bush is forming buds. It's so reassuring that these plants survived last summer. I still need to plant the Buttercrunch lettuce and kale. Some kale that self sowed last fall is still growing outside the garden. Harvested some fresh catnip which has self sowed all over the place. The cats were very appreciative. The yellow and parrot tulips in the rosebed are about to bloom. Tulips and catnip in the rosebed Spring 2010.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

No not really as to hiding ,, watching the news about Boston , always something to ""bum everybody out ""

On a better sound Happy BIRTHDAY!! To all of you enjoying yours ..

Looks like could be as to Coneflowers to me

Luv the pic's all , each and everyone , I use to keep Box Turtles when it was legal ,, One I rescued I sewed back together , and plastic sealed it's wounds .

Shame they are disapearing ,,, (SIGH) (so sad)))

My younger cat, Little Guy appreciates all of my plants. Right now I have some daffys blooming by the house and he keeps going over there sniffing them. He does that with all my plants outside. lol.

I need to get some more pics tomorrow of stuff blooming and coming up.

Yep, it's my birthday. Been up since 3am to work today so normal spring day. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

The surgery is 4/29. Hubby had some pre-surgery tests this morning. We wish that it was over. Thanks for the concern. : )

That's right! Today is Pepper's birthday. Best wishes! And bp's too! Wow, it's not just the tax deadline. I read that many businesses give out freebies today. Anyone take advantage of any? I read free massages are being offered too.

Will, thanks for the offer for the ROS cuttings. I don't know where I'd plant them. Otherwise, I'd say yes. I'll just have to admire everyone elses for now. I might take you up on the Wandering Jew. I had a plant years ago & I can't even remember what happened to it. I understand that they're a species of spiderwort (Tradescantia). I have a couple of different varieties that self sowed in my yard (blue and purple). I imagine that the birds deposited them. I thinned them out, but relocated some of them because they are very nice plants.

I love turtles too. That's great that you all are helping those poor turtles. I guess that we were probably feeding some yesterday. lol

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! Have a great day !
Mg meeting tonight at windy ridge nursery and the plants were amazing. Hard to believe it is so cold. Actually I am not sure they have ever been any more beautiful.

Joyce, when are you ever going to come this way again? I am trying desparately to get back up to Eskridge soon, and all my days off are either at home or driving to AR to see sister. every other Saturday and every Sunday. Yes, the Boston incident is heartbreaking.
Betty, will pray for your Hubby. Mine goes to cscope the 22nd. he is already dreading it. Last time they had to do some stuff. He is planning on retiring in October. All Medical insurance will be gone when he leaves, I hope they offer him something off site. They offered him the early retirement package due to lack of production on the 60 model ( learjet) so I am hoping. He said about 30 people have decided to take it now.

Looking forward to seeing all my babies in the ground, they dry up so fast in their little cups.
This is Goji, and Gamera .. I love them very much..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

"The repurposed mop." My old thread bare mop has lived on. First the handle was used as a pinata stick at the Egg Hunt. Then, the wire around the mop head has been saved to use in the garden for securing vertical trellises. The mop strands were hung on the garden fence. My youngest daughter and I enjoyed watching the robins snatch one strand at a time and carry it off. Later, I found more strands that the wind blewn down and placed them on the fence. A greckle snatched a bunch and carried them into the pear tree where it appeared a nest was being built. Then, this "crazy" robin starts trying to pull the string off my bean teepee. It was so funny -- flapping its wings in midair pulling on the string. I ran out and put more string on the fence and ran back into the house and upstairs to watch out the window overlooking the garden (my bird's eye view). Finally, the "crazy" robin gave up on the teepee string and went for the mop strings. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Thank you JW. I hope all goes well for your hubby with the cscope and retirement.

That was a nice story. I pictured it like a movie, I can just imagine you watching from your "birdseye" window. My computor desk looks out to the back yard, I do enjoy watching the things out there. What a great carry on of life yur old broom had! I was able to catch a few blooms before the icestorm last week..4th pic is a tomatoe and peppers I over wintered , 5th is one of my seed trays from January plantings.
I have to admit I am a little jealous of my Joe. I would love to stay home all day..but he deserves the time off.. I have a long enough honey do list he will be able to put in 8 hours a day for the next 3 years .LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hello everyone! : )

JW, those are some nice pics. The blooms are beautiful. Silly me, when you said tomatoes and peppers wintered over, I thought that you meant outside & my jaw dropped! lol Now I see from your pic that you meant inside. Your tomatoes and peppers look very healthy.

I'm still on vacation today & wouldn't be up this early, but the thunder woke me. I initially got on line to check the weather, but I couldn't resist dropping in here for a spell. I guess that I'll try to go back to sleep again. My plans today won't be gardening with the continued showers in the area, so I'll try to do some much needed housework. Later, I'm getting my ears lowered, teeth cleaned, and attending Bible study/prayer meeting. I'm doing this all on foot, bicycle, or bus because the car is in the shop for a few days, so I hope that the storms pass over before then.

Everyone enjoy your Tuesday and I'll check in later; if I get a chance. It's 4/16, one day past our average last frost date in my area.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

My yard is covered in Star of Bethlehem plants this time of year. The former residents from almost 25 years ago left them behind. Does anyone else have them all over their yard? Here's a great DG article from Sharon Brown about these plants. (I enjoy reading all of her articles!)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1187/

BTW, I almost typed the acronym for this flower, but it could indicate that I didn't like them. (lol) The storm has passed, so I'll try to get 40 more winks. ; )

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ah geeze, I don't have time to catch up yet, LOL!

I'll be back to read. I need to get going.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Another thunderstorm passing through. I leave on foot to catch the bus in an hour. I hope that it has passed by then. Our car won't be ready until Friday. I'll be busing to St. Louis the next few days, so I'll have to leave earlier and get home later. At least, the days are longer now. : )

Okay greeny, would you like the striped Wondering Jew or the regular purple one? I have both and getting cuttings is no problem at all. Oh, pre-surgery, oops, I'm sure the real surgery goes just fine too. When it warms up a little I'll send them to you, Tradescantia is pretty cold hardy for a houseplant, both of them, they are so nice, I want them to arrive alive!
Are these Star of Bethlehems? - They are nice flowers. Well, at least your not hitchhiking, Betty! lol

Yeah, that terrorism in Boston is a bummer, what can they accomplish from blowing a few people up? Oh well, I bet they find out who did it, they usually do, and then the perpetrators will be sorry! How do you get a picture by your name, ju? Thanks ju, hope those are Coneflower seedlings.

Wasn't Gamera the name of a monster on Godzilla, Debra? Do you still work at a Honda dealership, Hndagrl?! I remember your email is Hndagrl. Yes, nice pics Debra, it looks like your stuff is ready to stay outside when it warms up.

Let's see those pics, pepper!

I bought a little Hummingbird feeder at Walmart today, I splurged on it, it was $3! But, I thought I should get one better than that cheesy fake flower one that I've been imposing on them.

Happ, do you plan to stop at Blue Ridge nursery and shop the discounts since they're closing?

See ya later billyp!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My info DGhompage to:
manage friends and groups to:
your picture
right beneath is add avatar
These are all right hand column scrolls , except the first and last..

I need to know how to continue a thread...

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Yep, Will. That's a Star of Bethlehem. Very nice pic. I like your hb feeder too. I have to think about whether I want purple or stripe jw.

That is cool having a pic by your name. I want one too. lol

Nicole and I had NO cavities! It was worth the bus ride. Our haircuts turned out nice too. I had a nice day; despite the weather.

bp, I know what you mean. I'll be leaving to work tomorrow morning around 6:40a & won't get home until around 5p. I hope that the storms wait until I'm home anyway since I'll have to walk about 6 blocks from the bus stop to my house.

I didn't get any pics taken today. Slept late and then had to run some errands. Everytime I stepped outside I shivered. lol. Pics on hold.

Thanks ju, maybe I can find a picture to put there. How to continue a thread? I am more than glad to help if I can.

Thanks green. I can send some of each to you, it's no big thing. They start real fast in water, they don't even droop.

No cavities?! Regular ice cream and no cavities?! That's awesome, what's your secret?! Poor ears! They got lowered!

Hehe..I'm just teasing, pepper! We look forward to the pics but the cold weather is way less than ideal.

Off to bed, 2:15 am comes early!
Will

3am comes early too!! lol. Luckily that's tomorow night I deal with that again.

Quote from pepper23 :
I didn't get any pics taken today. Slept late and then had to run some errands. Everytime I stepped outside I shivered. lol. Pics on hold.

same here.. only didn't sleep late, but working at the Honda dealership I am. I shiver if it isn't at least 75. I really think you are right about Gamera being a monster in Godzilla.. my youngest daughter named her.. she is 24. She named Goji after some other mystical creature.. we lost our beagle, Duke, two years ago the 20th. The turtles and fish have helped us to move on.

I am willing to offer anyone who will pay for shipping young starts of False Dragon Head Obedient plant, pink showy primrose, spearmint, woodland violets and creeping jenny to anyone who wants it. Oh and my blooming Ivy comes down soon, it is over 60 years old, blooms every spring and has the seed pods on thru winter. I have rooted bottoms and heavy thick cuttings of the tops. I have two huge clumps of Late eupatorium, and about 10 fans of double ditch lilly. I also have honey suckle starts ( rooted) yellow and white, 2-sweet autumn clematis, 1-wisteria amethyst falls, and 1-Indian Hemp Dogbane. I need room to plant other things. I also have three huge aster clumps, these get about 3to 4 ft tall and are white and fragrant. I have a lot of other stuff I am getting rid of only because I have duplicates. I have an addiciton for starting things from sticks and seeds. Problem is, I just like to see them get to a blooming size and then, NEXT!! :P. Holler at me if anyone wants this stuff. I can't go to a swap right now unless it is on the way to my lil sisters, in Rogers, Ar. She is battling stage 4 breast cancer.
Here are some pics of these things..

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

What color are obedient plant ?

ok well, here are the pics, and I wish I had some star of Bethlehem, lil grape hiyacynths, trilliums, and snowdrops right now. I am also looking for red twig dogwood. My goal is to be all natives outside. Does anyone have any Black Cohosh seeds?

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Ju, thanks for the instructions. As you can see, they were easy for me to follow.

Have a good day everyone. BTW!

I can dig you up a division of Star Of Bethlehem jw. There is a bunch here, I think I can identify them but not entirely sure when their not in bloom, they kinda look like a clump of grass otherwise.

I followed them too, I am shortleaf the mirror man!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

43/51/51
Rest Of Today...Showers and thunderstorms. Some thunderstorms May be severe. Locally heavy rainfall possible. High in the lower 50s. East wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain near 100 percent.
Tonight...Showers and thunderstorms. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Low in the lower 50s. East wind 5 to 10 mph shifting to the south after midnight. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

Ok, there's no catching up all the way :o(

I cut up a lot of vegetables for salad fixings this morning. My Dad was up twice and ended up having dinner and coffe before the threat of hail drove him home.

We have wonderful rain, thunder and lightning with power blipping out a few seconds four times today. I waited to turn the computer on so I wouldn't ruin anything.

1 and 1/2'' of rain so far and we just got more thunder and a bit harder rain. Our drought is temporarily over, but no guarantee if we get no rain all summer.

Have a nice afternoon and evening all!

No obedient plant here. I know better. lol. I'm also slowly transforming my garden to all or mostly natives. Easier maintence.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.