April rains end the drought???

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Everyone be careful these next few days. High chance of tornadoes.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I don't have any of those plants ,one native Lupine returned , Only about 5 of my true wild hyacinth ,There is a tall yellow weed that blooms similar to the Cohosh , I have forgotten the name kind of look like a tower of yellow shamrock blooms in the evening and on cloudy days . maybe a big four leaf clover is a better description of the bloom.
Another that grows here & about in different places is a tall golden ragwort..

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

What do we all have in common weather wise right now? It looks like we're all under a tornado watch.

Everyone stay safe and check in when you can to say that you're ok. : )

Tornados reported in Olkahoma and in Illinois. Texas also getting hit near the Olkahoma border. We aren't getting anything here yet. It's bowed all around us for some reason.

Debra, hope you are staying safe down there!! Report in when you can.

Same for you too greenbrain!!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Nothing here yet, but it's slowly easing this way.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

iT Is spring weather only upper 60's for tonight , ideal for storms , hopefully there won't be many if any , The one's in Illinois have a way of showing up near here ,, stay safe to all you too,, only the watch here .

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

No tornadoes here but there sure has been some rain and thunder at times.
Goodnite all.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

lots of slow rain, thunder, but no bad stuff here right now.. radar shows about three little green blobs, record lows tonight and tommorrow night 28....
we might have a cooler summer this year, we can all hope. My yard is way behind this year compared to years past... nothing is up as tall or blooming, and the basement gardens are all still full of plants. I am not moving anything out until this weekend, maybe not even then, I saw a low of 33 for tuesday night. Some of the stuff I have slowly gotten out on the front porch is now covered with a blanket tent.. a huge oleander in a very heavy tub, my early tubs of asiatic stargazers and some tomatoes. *sigh* no wonder I stay thin.. I have to go water downstairs, cya all later..

oh so no one is interested in any of my prennials? dang..

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Nice to have faces to the names, so I'm putting my mugshot out here too!

Nothing all night, but it looks like the squall line is going to hit here about the time that I'm walking those 6 blocks to catch the bus. I went to bed at 9 & woke around 4; which would total my 7 hours required beauty sleep. (lol) Now, I'm thinking about getting an earlier bus just so I won't be caught outside in the storm. I'd rather get to work a bit early. I can nap, drink coffee, or read a book while I stay dry.

The soil in my garden has been so wet that I haven't planted anything else. Maybe it'll be dried out by next week. The temp here now is around 75 F at 4:30A. Crazy for this time of year. I need to dress for what the temps will be after the storm passes.

I don't have DG access at work, so don't expect to hear back from me until this evening. Happy Thursday! It's almost Friday & we get our car back tomorrow; hopefully! The church bbq fundraiser is Sat. & I can taste it already. 8>P

I would take you up on some of that stuff jw, it really is neat stuff, but I need to kind of, how do I say, add very cautiously and very sparingly because this place isn't mine. There kinda comes a time when the sheer number of plants can turn into an argument. I prefer not to plant my plants in the woods where I'd be staying! lol I have yet to inform my friend, the homeowner here, that her nice Weeping cultivar Japanese Maple that was planted in 2007 is dead, pretty much because I failed to water it last Summer.
When I tell her, I may need to have my face covered with steel plates! : ) And I may need to pack a bag!

Wow, 75 at 4:30a, that was drastically different than here last nite. I was at work at that time and I'd be surprised if it was in the 40's here. I'm going to die (not really..lol) because my shirt (actually shirts, I wear two) just get soaked with sweat. Even though I've been taking a dry shirt to change into for 3 days now, it is cold when I get off at 7a! It's not too bad after I change shirts, but working in those trailers, (which are basically outside) is quite cold when you get the boxes up against your sweat soaked shirt! I am grateful to have a job I suppose! The hard work keeps me warm enuff itself fortunately, or I might REALLY expire..lol

I got a few pics to share. This is the 'Munstead' Lavender and one of the Georgia Blue Speedwell Veronicas that I got from Pepper a couple of years ago. - They have really grown.
Here is my variegated Liriope. -
This is my 2 clumps of Black Hollyhocks. - I need to rake the leaves out of that area soon.
This next pic is what I hope is Purple Coneflower seedlings coming up from the dried flowers that I put in a few pots last Fall. -
Here is my Colorado Blue Spruce 'Globosa' and my regular Lilac behind it to the right. -

Yeah, I think I'm waiting until at least May 1st to set my plants outside up here in Kansas City, MO., it still gets quite cold at nite, maybe longer than that, I don't know yet..
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

To show how much they've grown, here is the Lavender from then. -
Here is a Speedwell Veronica 'Georgia Blue' -
I have all those but that Cardinal Plant, in that photo.
Here is all the plants together, I still have all that stuff except the Coral Bells in the back and that 'Queen Victoria' Cardinal Plant in the front. Actually, the Cardinal Plant tried to hold on for a while, it came back very small in 2012 then that was it, later that year, it had seemingly expired. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I'll take pink showy primrose, Late eupatorium, creeping jenny and the aster.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I did get to work rather early (around 6:45A), but I also beat the storm! I made 2 new friends on the bus. One lady left her umbrella in the car, and I just happened to have an "emergency poncho". The other lady works with one of my sisters. We didn't have the high winds so much as heavy downpours. Lots of flash flooding and wet feet.

Will, I hope that you don't catch pneumonia being in the cold wearing those wet shirts. That just doesn't sound too healthy.

JW, let me think about some of those plants & I'll send you a d-mail. Thanks!

I bet juhur is riding out the storms now in Indiana. Hope they're not too bad.

My crab apple tree is gorgeous right now. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow after work.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Storms aren't bad , cold wind .. Guess I am the shy one here , You all know the description though 5 ft whatever glasses gray hair you can guess the rest .
Brought my plants in , I won't be up to it tomorrow ,30 mph wind 40's falling to freezing ,, I thought for a moment it might be spring ,, wrong again ,,,
I asked about the pink primrose too !! But pepper into pink gets priority !!

Your all a great bunch of folks!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

You all know? it seems , I sound a lot like pepper with the threads ,, lol I really do not mean to copying anyone , it does seem to be happening a lot of the time though..lol
Okay, if the weather cooperates I will stop copying pepper.. lol

believe me I have so many pink primrose plants I could start a football field full. ( well maybe a quarter of it) LOL

this weekend I will be about pulling snd digging up stuff, so kinda wanted an idea of what I should bag up together. How about ya all dmail me with yer wants, and I will get them out to ya Monday. Supposed to warm up gradually this next week.

I have had cardinal plants for 4 years now, they don't like being covered up in winter and are high water maintance in summer. I keep mine in pots and those are in bowls during summer.
I am sure my neighbors wished I didn't have my fences covered in flowers and vines, but, it is my space and I was here first LOL
I don't know why they don't like it, it is an instant garden on their side of the fence too.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Thanks green, it's not too healthy. I believe I'm resigning effective now! lol I don't sleep good enuff with these hours and the work and working conditions are no good. I have talked it over with my friend here and she is okay with it. It's supposed to be 32 tonite, not looking forward to my shirt being soaked in sweat and in 32, if it were 60 or around there, it wouldn't be so bad.
I better call it quits before I perish! Man, I hate to be a quitter, but things just aren't good there.

To give you an idea about the Wondering Jews, here is my regular one first and the striped one next. Would you like some cuttings of each green?
To be the nice purple like that first one, they really have to be in the sun and watered regularly or they get a drab color. The striped Wondering Jew (Tradescantia zebrina) is much the same to get the full colorful appearance. Can I interest anybody else in those cuttings? Cuttings take root real easy.

I'll be sending you some, juhur, can I also interest you in some regular purple Wondering Jew as well as the other? My cuttings will be coming from these plants, I still have them.

You sure have some colorful flowers there, jw.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

juhur, I wash away my gray. I wear dollar store readers because my arms are too short. I'm 5' 1" now & still shrinking. I just wish that I could say that about my waist line. (lol) It's certainly not bad for me walking to catch the bus. I may just keep this up after the car is fixed; until it gets too hot anyway. I could really use some gardening exercise right now and my own healthy fresh veggies for snacking.

Everyones plants look so nice. I'll get the d-mails out by tomorrow morning. I hope that's not too late. If so, don't worry about me. I appreciate all the plant offers. With the car in the shop, my husband's upcoming surgery, plus this crazy weather, I'm feeling a little stressed right now. We'll be at the church bbq tomorrow starting around 10 or so; until .....? I'm looking forward to eating some good bbq that I don't have to cook! Chloe is spending the evening, so that'll keep me a happy busy tonight. I feel like the weekend is going to fly by!

Time to get ready for work. Happy Friday everyone. : )

Well, now that I'm retired again, I got a few things done today!
Yeah, that's quite a few things going on for you, Betty, I bet you handle them just fine and May will be here before you know it.
What a coincidence on pepper's title for this thread, the April rains have ended the drought in Missouri so far I hear! Now, it just needs to rain regularly all thru Summer!
I got the raised garden bed all set up in the yard, now it just needs soil and plants in it! -
Here is a Star-Of-Bethlehem, I found out how to distinguish them from other clumps of grass, they have a white stripe on them. -
If you'd like one jw, I'll dig one up for you, it's no problem, the one's here multiply.
Here is one of my Hawaiian Spiderplants getting a drink! - I have some gray hair but there is still some brown left, for how long I don't know! lol

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Here is my striped Wondering Jew, (Tradescantia zebrina), the leaves get big and nice when they get watered everyday. The planter that I made with a Ponytail Palm at one end and Tradescantia zebrina at the other is looking good.- The cuttings of striped Wondering Jew have grown nearly as tall as the Palm! I can cut them down to a lower set of leaves and they will look good still. I can use those trimmings as cuttings, I have many pots of striped Wondering Jew, I've made several plants out of cuttings, not including the mother one I have. Here is that planter of regular Wondering Jew. - It isn't really liking the conditions over the Winter so it's a lot grayer than when it's outside in the heat and direct sun of summertime. That plant is bulletproof though! It's extra cold hardy for a houseplant. A few years ago, I had to keep it in an unheated garage and I didn't think it would make it! It did and several other houseplants didn't.
Here is a couple more photos of the striped Wondering Jews I have. - That bowl of water has too many cuttings of them in it, I'm pretty sure they're crowded and some of it appears to have turned into mush. Here is another square pot of it, it's got some big leaves I believe because I watered the heck out of it. -
Here is my variegated Ficus elastica getting a drink as well as another Spiderplant and my $1 Fern. -
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nice!! very nice!!!!

shortleaf isn't short of leaves !! Plants are looking good there!!

Quote from juhur7 :
Nice!! very nice!!!!

shortleaf isn't short of leaves !! Plants are looking good there!!

I Agree

Thanks you guys!

PS: the last time I saw you, you gave me some jew.. it is still in pots with other plants scattered around..

It's still around eh? That's nice! Those Jews came from the big one above, in 6 and 9 posts up from here, including this post in the count.
It was these Wondering Jews that I took to that RU, this is the stuff I took to that.
Will

This message was edited Apr 19, 2013 10:00 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

oh yes, and one of those baby trees, what kind is it? It is about 4 ft tall now.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I missed coming back to the question about both kinds of the wondering Jew , and of course to both , lol I get carried away with the plants.
It is going down to 31 degrees tonight and the wind and drizzle today made doing anything cold .It did not get over 40 degrees .!!
Light freeze won't bother the plants as much as it does me when outside .Hoping to be able to get back to spring prep chores .

Hey juhur, Billyp also posts similar posts like mine so we can call each other DG triplets. lol.

Hmmm.. it could be any one of 3 trees, I took Mimosa seedlings, Weeping Willow cuttings and American Sycamores. I bet it's a Mimosa seedling that you got would be my guess jw.
The other 2 would be taller than 4 feet by now I'd think. Not that the Mimosa doesn't grow fast but I think it might grow more sideways instead of tall, unlike a tree with more of a central leader.

Okay juhur, some Spiderplant babies, striped Wondering Jews and regular Wondering Jews. I think Wondering Jews of both of these kinds make a good addition around a bigger potted plant that would be in the center of a pot. The Jews are hardy enuff now I think but the Spiderplant babies probably not so much, I better wait until it stays around 55 at nite even, before I ship the plants to you, ju.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I was thinking mid May or so , maybe I will have some rooted for you also by then ..

Hey pepper "the three wise?" would or could that make us?lol

Your rooting something for me? You've given me so much already, ju. I just noticed a minute ago that one of the Salix discolor (Pussy Willow) cuttings you gave me has 2 white catkin things on it. Here's some Speedwell Veronica Georgia Blue in bloom and the Lavender 'Munstead' next to it.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sure Salix bloom and leaf while they root , They are ahead of mine , I had one start to bloom outside and the weather knocked it off .. Have a couple inside I trying to root now ,,
The other is the red stem salix ...
Planted some snapdragons and have all kinds of different types of bean sprouts . got to plant them .. Somethings are germinating real well others not so good. Well keep on, keepin on ,, I am about out of go for now ...

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I've had the Lavender 'Munstead' for a few years now. It's very hardy here & low maintenance.

I purchased a Salix gracilistyla melanostachys (black pussywillow) a few years back that didn't survive the summer. Almost all the shrubs purchased from the same vendor (who sells 4" square potted plants cheaply) didn't make it. I believe that the shrubs were too small with immature roots. I know now that if I buy small shrubs to keep them potted until they're larger. I may try some of the shrub varieties that I lost again.

One of my wishlist plants that I've never tried before is wintergreen. I'd grow it near the periwinkle under the pine tree near the horizontal contoneaster which is on the north side of the house. Has anyone tried growing wintergreen?

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Here's what I'm talking about; also known as teaberry; among other names or gaultheria procumbens:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1101/

I understand that wintergreen is native to northeastern North America.

I like the Munstead, it has really spread out too, my hands smell nice after I get the leaves out or just put my hands in there.
Is this Willow I wonder regular Pussywillow or Black Pussywillow?
That's a good idea, green, I may keep mine potted up and inside for a while before I plant them outside. The cutting on the left of the photo has several white cottony looking things. One is right down at the soil, but I am reluctant to pull the cutting up so that can get out for fear it'll sever any roots it might have.
I think ju said it was the Black Willow.
I've never tried Wintergreen. I saw it at your Plantfiles link, green, it looks interesting, I like the berries too, and it's an evergreen groundcover.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The ones I sent ;are the regular --Ju

These are some interesting before and after photos of a Weeping Willow I rooted some years ago. It started as a cutting in 2003 that I got from a park around here called Fleming Park, (aka Lake Jacomo). It is now at a Sister's and BIL's backyard, I gave it to them I think in 2005. At first, there it is at the lake, then there it is I'm sizing it up with a ruler, (it was probably to get help with it's identity in a forum at the time..lol). Next, it is in that big black plastic nursery pot. After that, I said they could have it if they wanted it, to come and get it and that they did, here it is in 2010. - That's it back in the corner, it's about 30 feet tall now! I need to tell them if they want it to stay alive, they need to start watering it when it's dry. I have some photos of it more recently but they are pathetic, the tree looks barely alive, it has been so dry, in this last photo you can almost see thru it. My BIL has limbed it up considerably so he could mow under it or something. I don't suppose I'll be too happy if it dies, all they'd have to do is run a hose sometimes under it. They both have good jobs, they can afford the water-bill. I'm gonna have to suggest they start watering it though, lest they also are remorseful about a nice, dead tree, (like myself..lol). For lack of water, my mom lost a big Globe Lilac Tree that was beautiful in the Spring and smelled wonderful in bloom, you could smell it a hundred feet away when it was in bloom! My personal big one is a Weeping Lace-leaf cultivar of Japanese Maple that died apparently due to last Summer's heat and drought. You see brown trees all over the place. It's kinda ironic how it seems more to happen to gardener people like myself, who should actually know better I suppose.
Anyway, if that Weeping Willow was smaller I'd go over there and dig it up and bring it back home!
That's cool, ju, I like the regular Willow, it has a nice form, thanks, they seem to be gonna make it.
Will

This message was edited Apr 20, 2013 2:00 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

You can trim them to make them full looking also , takes some practice .Keep them well watered the first year or so , they do allright .
The sandbar grows in driest places , odd after seeing them growing in water ,
Nive pics Will , you keep us motivated !!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A couple of pics I took while planting Fava Beans today , Hands still get cold 40's windy , you all know the routine..lol

Little apple tree #3 Yea , weeds are exciting aren't they lol

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Here that photo is really big, I put it in my Comcast webspace and linked to it here. - http://home.comcast.net/~metalglove/pwpimages/willow_ju.JPG Is that the Black-Eyed Susans in with them?
Aww thanks, though I hope I don't motivate people not to have a job, it is good to have a job!

Okay, I'll keep those Willows well watered, thanks ju. Yeah, that is odd about that kind of Willow, that it does good in dry conditions, that's good to know, say if I'm out of town or something and can't water.

Nice Apple trees there ju! Weren't you grafting an Apple tree or trees? Or different varieties on different branches or something like that? I know we spoke earlier of a 5 in 1 tree that you got. Is that the little patio tree they sell for around $29? Hehe.. weeds are a scourge! lol

Well, these first two pics of the dead Weeping Laceleaf Japanese Maple, (planted in 2007) can only motivate people to water their trees and everything when it's extremely hot and dry.
The third one is one of two dead Dwarf Alberta Spruces back there also. - Note to self: Water when it's hot and dry!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.