April rains end the drought???

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I think they will be allright , the big thing is that the plants got to you in decent shape and alive , If they look okay ,they usually are okay ,and you have a chance to move them around some .
It is colder here ... brrr .. Bring back the warmth .. it feels like sitting in the fridge ..

I thougt to do this as far as saying oops spacey me You know though Will I always enjoy your pics of garden plants , those are great!!my friend , and better stiil you now have a commercial license ,, I did have a chauffers license some years ago , Only all same Congats on doing that!!

gb I look forward to that weather you sent ,, waiting impatiently like a youngster!!

This message was edited Apr 24, 2013 9:23 PM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Congrats Will on the CDL license. I admire your determination. The yard with all your plants looks very nice.

juhur, I just sent some warm weather and sunshine your way. It should arrive soon. : )

The Christmas gift amaryllis on my desk at work has a new sprout! I still have pics to post, but I'm too lazy. I need some Geritol. Still hardening off my veggie seedlings.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Today was a really nice day and it's only supposed to get nicer this week. The wind wasn't blowing much so I took advantage and went to my friend's house and rounduped the garden area. I just don't have the time or energy to dig it all up. It's a good thing I went to do it too because I found a couple barberrys she thought were dead very much alive and putting on quite a bit of growth. I sprayed them suckers too. Way too many thorns on them.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Yes, Will I forgot to congrats you on that CDL. I know it is a hard test cuz my son took one. I use barberry cuttings from the two huge bushes out front to spread about the areas I don't want cats or squirrels in, pots and tubs and around the gardens. They don't like those barberry branches too much, and I don't like them critters in my gardens.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

You rebuilt the mower's carburetor, ju? I found out that's what's wrong with a mower that surges and then sounds like it's going to die then surges again. Up and down, up and down that's all mine did, so I took it to a small engine repair shop, I think in 2010, and that's what it needed for $56, which was reasonable. Keep on growing catkins!

I read that Lilac cuttings only take maybe 1 out of 5 or 6 cuttings.

Thanks for the congrats on my CDL. My friend says we oughta celebrate! I say "no, we don't really need to", we can celebrate when I get a job..lol
That test computer thing is a sonuva too, It says something like, "you have failed, see attendant." I got tired of seeing that message, you just want to give it a kick, "oh yea, you sonuva, take this!"!

Yeah, warm and sunshine should also be coming from Missouri! Yes, it was beautiful out today and getting better like pepper said!

Thanks for the compliment on the yard, Betty. I had the weedeater out today and after that photo I trimmed all around those rocks. It's a rechargeable weedeater and I weedeated until it was nearly dead. I intend to try to fashion the yard into some kind of normalcy this year since I've really cluttered it up with plants and rocks! lol

Barberries are good for keeping animals out eh?! There is one here that's almost big enuff to get cuttings off of, I want to keep animals out!
Will

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Congrats Will! I saw in the KC Gardener that Suburban was hiring.

Sounds like everyone is getting geared up for spring as soon as we get a break. Pepper are you digging the garden by hand? ? ?

Last two nights had some hard frost but I think the peach trees are ok, time will tell. DH says the apple trees from last year are going crazy. I haven't been out back to see. So I have apple, peach, and pear. So now cherry is on the list.

Anxious to play outdoors this weekend. Going to close in the potting bench finally. I took measurements for the bucket that goes under the potting section to catch the dirt so need to stop by Wally world to return one too tall...rofl. hence the meansurements....
NO NEW plants this year.....I hope. I really need to just concentrate on the million other projects outside I have started and not finished. That would improve the looks of my gardens alot.

The maples are full of helicopters, I wouldn't be so lucky for them to get frosted would I? ;) I can't put mulch down until those things get cleaned up. I put mulch over them one year and started my own forest....

Our plant sale is the 22nd of May so I really need to get my plants dug up, tagged and ready to go. Hope things take a flying leap this weekend when it warms up. I had a bunch in pots but I am guessing between the drought and not enough water to them sitting in water they probably didn't make it. Plus Virgils chickens kept digging in some of the pots.

Thanks happ, Suburban has my name and number. I saw the same help wanted ad in the KC Gardener, I applied there Jan. 31st. I called them today and left a message if they need a licensed driver to call.

I don't know if there's any Aldis in other places but they have two kinds of Japanese Maples for sale for $12.99 now, 'Bloodgood' and another laceleaf variety it looked like, maybe more than one, I got 'Bloodgood'. I looked closely before I bought it, they are genuine grafted ones. The laceleaf ones appear to be grafted high at about 18".
It's not a bad height tree for that price, I measured this one, it is 32.5" tall from the soil's surface to the top of the tree.

Your Maple trees, happ? Some hardware stores sell copper nails, (for copper roofs and boat building I'm sure), they are kinda expensive, around $10 for a half pound of them.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

That is an awesome price for that tree!! We have some probably about the same size maybe a bit bigger for close to $70. If I remember tomorrow I will swing by the one in Blue Springs and see if they have any.

Happ, I was digging it by hand but I just don't have the time or energy to do it and with the weather warming up even less time. So I sprayed Roundup on it the other day. She texted me earlier and said the grass is well on it's way to being dead so hopefully next week we can till it and start planting.

Ok Will you are going to have explain the copper nail thing to me.
editted to say glad you are not digging the garden by hand!

This message was edited Apr 25, 2013 5:52 PM

Hey if you guys haven'y heard, Don Hollingworth has sold his nursery in Maryville and all his peonies are moving to Oregon this fall. The Heartland Peony Society is sponsering a bus trip May 18th to see the full 6-7 acres in their full glory for the last time.

No I have not heard that. Our MG group went up there one year and it was beautiful. I figured out I have great taste because I think the peony I picked out was like 200.00 or something like. Don't misunderstand they have some very reasonable priced peonies that are beautiful. Just leave it to me to find one way too expensive...rofl.

I'm the same way!! LOL

It was mentioned in the Grow Calendar of the KC Star.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. I got mine in Independence (West) on 23rd street, there is also an Aldi on East 23rd street in Indep., they probably have them too, I don't know.
Be prepared to water it if you get one pepper, they don't appear to have been watered in several days, mine had a big ol long soak in the kitchen sink..lol

Yeah sure happ, you slip over there in cover of darkness with a big hammer and drive 10 - 15 nails in it and wait about a year I hear, (around 15 for a larger Silver Maple and around 10 for one half that large). If their roofing type nails you cut off the big round head with wire cutters, (if you don't want them to be noticeable) and nail them in the tree, if you don't want the nails to show at all you hit them with a nail punch the last couple of blows. I'm just kidding about the cover of darkness thing..lol Of course, you'd be doing that to your own tree! Anyway, the overload of copper in the tree is supposed to kill it.

Wow, sounds like an exciting outing for a Peony lover, 6 to 7 acres of blooming Peonies, that would be a sight. Hey, have you heard?! Happ is filthy rich she bought a $200 Peony!

NO NO NO wanna give my husband a heart attack...rofl....
Can you imagine buying a plant that expensive, I would be outside camping next to it in fear the dog, deer, or space objects would get it!!!
Plus I would have to give up eating, skip paying bills, and proably couldn't buy gas if I spent that....rofl.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Near to that as I have ever done , is Daylily seeds . Only one of two groups , firsy was four seeds second group was five seeds , ? I have one plant left , of those two , it is all that lived and grew from seeds ,, $ 15.00 DOLLARS for the group of seeds it came from , plants cross name (Puffer Fish x So beautiful to me) .
That is bundles for 4 or 5 seeds folks !!! ?
This me though cheap, cheap , cheap!!! when it comes to the ole money purse

Adding this following ( Puffer Fish Daylily) costs $150.00 to $300.00 The other $75.00 average ? I believe ...

This message was edited Apr 25, 2013 8:43 PM

juhur7, rofl I probably have more than one story about trying to save money and working so hard and......rofl....in end it didn't turn out quite as I had thought as I had hoped....this potting bench may end up to be one of them ;)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey happ .. My potting bench is made from an old thrown out staircase that was being replaced , Nails and bolts get kind of expensive too !!!!
Wonder what that entire Cedar staircase had been (two stories, with design lathe) , eeeekkk he he ... I only took three pieces sh.... No telling on me for raiding construction throw away..lol

I am doing concrete poles , the soda bottles act as the sealer , Used older material to do the first one , left the pic in the folder for the time being , doesn't look good on camera at all .. But they are functional and will do what they are there to do ,, for the moment that is that matters . and at least I did get one , maybe I will get to see live what they look like (the new Daylily)..

This message was edited Apr 25, 2013 8:59 PM

That IS a nice Daylily. - http://www.ctdaylily.com/images/puffer_fish_jamoe_too.jpg

Hehe! The most I ever paid for a plant was $35 for this Eastern White Pine 'Nana' in 2004, now, it might be a $200 plant.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nice Pine though , white pines have beautiful form..
The thing here is ; you are talking with a generation that came from 5&10 cent seed packets , and 99 cents for plants ,,
??????

I forgot to say ;and those were the expensive ones!!!!

This message was edited Apr 25, 2013 9:09 PM

Thanks ju. I forgot the Dwarf part of the name, it's a Dwarf Eastern White Pine 'Nana'. Although, I hear the name 'Nana' is used on a lot of different plants. Maybe it means "mini" or something, maybe small. The straight species Eastern White Pine gets about 100' tall.

Those prices would be nice! We can add at least one 0 onto those prices now though unfortunately!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I have the tall white pine specimen in my front yard. We brought it home around 15 years ago in the car. It's now taller than our 1 1/2 story home. See the lower branches on the right. I finally had to trim the bottom because it had spread into the library's handicapped parking spot.

Thumbnail by greenbrain
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That pine certainly has done well , really likes where it is!!!

I am wondering about jw haven't heard from jw hope that is not bad news , all the tests and all .
Well maybe if were good and ask nicely we will hear about how the tests went ,, hope jw is well and alright ..

I was taking a nap , awoke and stopped in saw gb talking ,, I guess everyone is busy getting ready for Friday to plan their weekend

beautiful trees. Happ, you made me laff. Thanks. And,Janis , what is a concrete pole with soda bottles that you are going to make?
I am going to miss all the good spring stuff, because of my job, sheese.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well since I am sitting here I can best answer that with fence post or concrete posts , The two I about have finished are going to hold up about 18 ft of reinforcing wire for tomato plants to grow on ,
I will during the next few weeks be back to show the post the parts etc, Mostly they are water and soda bottles ....When I get a clean photogenic pic I will show them .

Sorry, been getting ready for the big Honda thing. Test was fine today, she said if I don't get a call tommorrow then no news is good news, so that is that.
Right?
I Can't Wait Until I Can Garden All Day
Got the cone flowers and crab trees and red leafed thing all planted after work, hurried like a madwoman. Plus, I filled 4 gallons, two half gallons, and 24 plastic water bottles full of rainwater from the water tubs outside. The neighbor kids outside playing were just playing away, and now I have another empty 30 gallon tub to catch the next round.
All I want Is a WHOLE day to Garden outside. SHEESH!! ;P~

I'm up late, boy, green, your White Pine has really taken on the form of an open grown tree, a lot of trees in yards do that. It really all depends on what the homeowner wants, if they want a big, wide tree for shade nevermind..hehe! These Eastern White Pines here are in a big local cemetery here close called Mt. Washington cemetery. I believe they're all the same White Pine trees but the first 2 (with my finger..lol) are from a different angle, (I think their mature). I always was impressed at how tall they get. Even here, and in Ill. (not really their native range, I'd think they should get at least 80 - 100 feet tall in time), though Ill. is kinda close, I think they prefer it cooler and with higher elevation naturally.
in their native range, they were tall before major logging of the late 1800's. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_White_Pine Like they say, it is the tallest tree in eastern North America.
Green, you might consider cutting off any long branches on it and maybe plant 1 or 2 weedy bigger trees temporarily by it to simulate competition and maybe persuade it to grow up toward the sun and not wide and shorter. Yours appears very happy indeed! If you look closely at that pic below of the trunks, they have pruned the lower branches it appears, (maybe they died).
I've seen Eastern White Pines, (Pinus Strobus) all crowded together, it's quite normal for the lower branches to die from lack of sun due to competition for light, your lower branches appear to be quite alive.
Neat house, it has character.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I planted the pine hoping to block the NW winter winds & it has served it purpose well. I was driving by this house 24 years ago in May to get ice cream with my oldest daughter & niece. I fell in love at first site & hurried home to tell my husband about this "perfect" house with a veggie garden that was for sale. He liked it too. Here we are 24 years later. We moved in late July and I got to harvest the previous owner's tomatoes, peppers, etc... It has been my veggie garden spot ever since.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

HERE'S ONE of the poles in progress yes everything is a little messy , working on it ..lol

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Does anyone wanna see (and hear..lol) my Mockingbird and plants Youtube video I made today? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Z8b5JJCBU&feature=youtu.be
Here is my latest $13 purchase (Japanese Maple 'Bloodgood') and my Ebay purchase of about a month ago side by side in the backyard now in pots, they are the tallest of my plants in that cluster from left to right. - Here is my purple Liatris sprouting up thru the surface, I hope the squirrels don't see them! - That Asparagas Fern-looking thing is an IcePlant that I put in there for grins last year. I hope your test results are fine, jw.

Hi ju, you sneaked in on me when I was posting! Good idea with your poles.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2013 2:48 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Chores outdoors are making me sleepy ..lol more plants you say?
Enjoyed the home video , you and your plants ,and trailers are now a star !!!
Your house with a dressing room ,, all your own ,
Your friend your press agent or business manager ,, ah yes (big sigh) to be loved by all !!!!
1 CATNIP
2&3 VEGETABLES &FLOWERS
4 PENSTEMON
5 ASIAN PEAR

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

I know about the sleepy part! I did some more mowing and weedeating today and I even raked up one more yard sack of wet leaves! Actually, I woulda raked more than one but we're out of sacks
Thanks ju, I need to get a newer camera for better videos, this one is about 9 years old. Back in 2004 when my Dad purchased this camera for himself, I don't think video quality was a big thing like it is today, (in case anybody wonders, I didn't steal it from him, I was given it when he died in 2007).

I do have the trailers, a big one and a small one, (it's just right for hauling a pushmower behind my little car).

My house in that old red shed! I tell you, if it wasn't full I'd stay in it sometimes!

Oh, you know, people can make it big on Youtube, look at Justina Bieber for example!

That's a nice collection of stuff you got there, ju, now I want some Penstemon!
Will

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I came in a few moments ago . planted a bean plant , got down to 30 the other night and did not bother a few I left out for a test , a couple more to plant ..
Penstemon require a long cold stratification from seed , If I get any I may send you a few , but that is way on down the road .
Neat foliage on those though , love the red , and blend .
I want your trailers too!! so watch them real good , only kidding .. would be nice to have here some of the time ..I still have a bunch of plants to start ,and I am going through all that .the info, the time , the routine of some .

Tulips starting to bloom How do you like the Dandelion ..lol

Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

BEAN PLANT baby zinna, and little new POW WOW Wild BERRY Coneflower in a pot. Coneflowers were wintersown.
Yeah, I know big deal right ,, Like I am going to get you all excited about beans , huh lol
I don't know if the lettuce in 4 is visible or not.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Nice video Will. I just wish that I could hear you over the chattering birds! The noise reminded me of the old days in Woolworths' pet department. If I heard correctly over the chatter, you have a country accent? Such a tidy garden. You must put a lot of time into keeping the yard so neat.

I have taken lots of pics this week to share, but I've been too lazy to download them. Maybe tomorrow morning. I've even taken pics of the plants on my desk at work! The weather is cold and damp here. I didn't even bring my plants outside today because I haven't any sweaters that fit them. LOL Tomorrow is suppose to be rainy here too.

I mowed the lawn until after dark last night with the manual push mower. I guess that's why I'm draggin' today. It's only 8 PM & I'm ready for bed. I did notice that the Lily of the Valley plants are up. They were already growing here when we moved in 24 years ago, so was the peony. I have no idea hold old the bridal wreath shrub is that was already growing here. I'll post a pic when it blooms next month.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Someone say peony . This one talks in Chinese LOL well it is a Chinese peony..

Thumbnail by juhur7

I just had to move a peony this afternoon to make room for the new air conditioner unit that is going in here in a couple weeks. It wasn't happy about being moved and I really wasn't happy moving it since it looks great this year!! But oh well, it'll live. lol

I have a bunch of pics too. I guess I better post some!! There are lots of weeds in the pics too but now that it's warming up I will be able to start catching up with them a bit.

First pic is a daffodil. I have never seen this type of growth before. Anyone know what happened?

2nd is tulips and lilac.

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23

Oh, you don't have to send me any Penstemon seeds, it's just a nice plant is all I was saying, but if you ever get any extra seeds I wouldn't complain! lol It looks like a Succulent!
Haha! You like the trailers eh?! They do come in handy that's for sure! Having a trailer is better than having a pickup truck! Trailers don't take gas! Well, I guess you hafta pull them with something that takes gas, but ya know! You don't have to worry about the cargo scratching the paint on a truck when it's in a trailer OR breaking out the rear window of a truck!

This afternoon I tried to fill my plastic, rectangular planter better with some cutting/starts of Coleus 'Watermelon'. Here it is before I tried it and here it is after I tried it. -
See that Black-Eyed Susan you gave me ju, in the watering pot getting watered? It's doing well, so is the other one you sent me, I watered it overnite last nite. The Catnip is still green but it hasn't grown as much as the 2 BES's.

Thanks green, I have spent a lot of time out there, I need to spend alot more, hehe... like all those leaves they need to get raked up when I get some more lawn sacks.
Yeah, I suppose I do talk a little country, alot of Missouri is rural, even North Missouri. I was raised more in a rural area as most people in Missouri were. Thanks again, I plan to make the garden area look much better this Summer. Haha, you have fake birds, well I have fake frogs and dragonflies!

lol Hear me over the chattering birds! You mean hear the chattering birds over me! Haha! I tried to talk quiet because some neighbors were out, I don't want them to think I talk to myself! Really, the Mockingbird sounds so cool, it was still singing a while ago when I was in the garage I could hear it. It's like Mocking birds are following me! I remember when I was a kid, there was always a Mockingbird singing!

Ju's got her a Chinese Peony that was made in America!

Pretty flowers there pepper! I hope you find out what's ailing the Daffs, that is a nice color. You have a bunch of nice tulips there, very colorful.

I'm still waiting on the Zinnias that I bought in a seed packet this year to sprout!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Everyones Gardens are looking awake, and I will watch the video tommorrow after work, I like the idea of the cement poles, and some penstamons I planted three years ago came up last year, waiting to see of they came back this year, and I have daffs that I got from breast cancer bag at walmart that look just like that..
Off to bed, I am exhausted.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Pepper, I like the tulips color asst. I've never seen a daffodil like that one in your pic.

Good night everyone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.