April rains end the drought???

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I am behind again, but it's been hectic the last couple of weeks with all the rain, flooded creeks, internet down for a day and kids.

DD's youngest was is in the hospital with breathing problems. They admitted him the day after we had everyone here for birthday cakes. They had tried the nebulizer treatment before admitting him and he wasn't responding to it well enough. He had strong meds in the IV and is still doing the nebulizer. Luckily her husband was still home and he stayed overnight with him. He has a touch of pnemonia, but was out the next day and running around the house. He'll get over it :o)

For all the rain, 9'', I was able to put garden in. Spinach, radish, onions and beets so far. I've set chairs out and fixed the solar lights with batteries. It's looking more like spring all the time. I even mowed half of the back yard, LOL! Our grass is emerald green!

The days are getting warmer, but the wind keeps shifting back to the NW, grrr!

Have a wonderful Saterday everyone!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Nine inches, that's alot of rain. I hope your Cedar River doesn't get all crazy with flooding there again, Sally.
One of those twins had breathing problems? My niece does too sometimes. Emerald green is good!

Isn't pepper's cream colored Daffodil a neat color?!

I need to go get some more lawn sacks so the yard here looks better and more awake! I'm afraid I got more raking to do!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

We have had 8.23 here all time 8.62 waiting for rain now cloudy , and forecast is for rain , This may be rainfall history as three more rainy days are in the making before the first of May .
. still lots to do ,,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

one is not right , the other is finished ,
Concrete posts

Last two pics are the one that is right , only made with old dirty bottles wasn't exactly what I had hoped . The first two the pole got lighter than should be and going to require more base at the bottom .
Cost so far $2.86 With enough left over maybe to do a couple of more ,,, cool huh?

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Wow that looks like it will hold against the wind. I agree peppers tulips are beautiful.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

THIS IS THE FINISHED POST OOPS caps is on,, lol The third pic is the base , about a foot square , you can see some of bottles had been painted green , Might splurge later for a can of gray primer .. This post is six feet tall and solid ,, it'll do for the place.

Still have a half of bag of Sakrete remaining ,, I guess a couple of more are about to happen .. he he ..

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

And pepper I am not ignoring .. it is just that your blooming bulbs are so pretty ,and my garden areas at this time are so MESSY!!!!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ummm....didn't you see the weeds ju? LOL. I have weeds everywhere and it's impossible to pull them right now since it's so wet. We had drizzle off and on all day today so there is no way any gardening is gonna get done tomorrow. Grrr.... Your poles are looking great!!

I love the color of my messed up daffys too but I wish I knew what is causing that weird look. The rest are all normal, just those particular ones.

Hellebore, my one and only plant, weedy veggie garden with Jane Magnolia buried and blooming, more tulips.

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It is drizzling here now . I get and have lots of those!!!!(weeds) The Bulbs are delightful pepper ..
Now if I could finish mulching and get the rest of the blocks in place ? well? it might be finished???? no such thing really. is there? LOL
A few hours a day towards evening a nice comfy 60's for temps here , AHH (BIG SIGH)

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Rainy and cool here all day, so I've been cleaning and rearranging my bedroom while I watched tv. I'm just now finishing up supper. I really like those bi-color tulips Pepper. I've still got lots of pics to post. I'll get caught up soon. My hubby's surgery is early Monday morning. Tomorrow will be church, keeping the gr-d & visiting family at the nursing home. I may have time to post tomorrow either early or late in the day. I hardly went outside at all today. Everything looks green and wet here too.

Here's a close up of another tulip. And here's a shot taken last week of the bed. Lots and lots of weeds. lol. I really need to get in there when it dries up a bit.

I have tulips, daffodils, a lilac (middle bush) and deutzia 'chardonnay pearls' flanking the lilac on both sides.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2013 7:15 PM

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

What a beautiful day! I worked on my potting bench and got the end enclosed and started putting the facing on the front. Now ready to start the doors. It might actually look ok when I get done. I am going to be so sore tomorrow tho. Ju I am like you a garden means NEVER being done....it is at least at my house one mess after another. I said I am not starting another project until the potting bench is done so I can at least get one mess cleaned up. It must of taken 4 hours just to find all the stuff I needed to get started since it had been stored all winter.

Watching on pbs about the dropping of the first atomic bombs on the Biniki Island and the soldiers on the ships when they did this....
Really something.

some of my tulips and stuff

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Good morning! Here's the pics that I promised to post & it's still April.

First, some of my plants. Everything from tulips to tree blossoms to my strawberry pot; taken around 4/22.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

More pics taken last week. Lamb's ear, crabapple--pinetree--bridal wreath, daylilies, mint, my 18 yr old tulips; weeds included. lol

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

More pics taken last week. Hydrangeas, horizontal cotoneaster, towering pine behind city's butchered sweet gum, green nanking cherries, crabapple tree dwarfed by silver maple tree.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2013 5:30 AM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

A view from my desk: snake plant, golden pothos start in fishbowl, my severely pruned pothos leafing out again.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I believe that I have a few more up my sleeve -- let me check. These tulips weren't opened yet, Camelot rosebush--lots of blooms coming soon, my mini birdbath, Iceberg rosebush--looking healthier than ever, iris blooms coming soon.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

This is my final hodgepodge post for now. Leaving for the hospital soon. View of crab apple tree from upstairs bedroom window, my witch hazel--iris-lamb's ear--hydrangea--purple cone flower bed, lavender & garlic, trailing black berries leafing out, and the peony that I dug for my mom. I told my husband that I'd bring him a vase of the yellow tulips for his hospital room. He seemed very pleased. The tulips will be missing from the bed today, but I know that he'll enjoy them more.

your Gardens are besutiful, way ahead of mine, my redbud is just now starting to bloom. My nanking doesnt set fruit becuase it is by itself?

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Debra those are beautiful, and holy moly greenie your gardens are sure pretty. Good luck to your hubby.
I thought for some reason you would be colder than us but you are zone 6 I am zone 5.... ;( I must be living in the wrong spot...rofl.

Here are a few of my pics. Have a lot of repeats in the garden and more are blooming now. Tulips getting ready.

The white daffs are hanging their heads but the pic was taken right after a rain, need to look at them now and see if they are holding their head up or not, the orange tulips are really red with varigated leaves and then last but not least good old yellow daffs. Got alot more tulips blooming now.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

Wow, nice pics of everybody's flowers and everything, alot of pics, you guys outdid yourselves, even pics of greenie's workplants. The vacant house next door has a better display of flowers than I do so I went over there and got photos! - It looks like Tulips and Grape Muscari I think. If anybody knows for sure what the Grape ones are please tell, I'm not sure. Another guess of mine would be Grape Hyacinths. Unfortunately, the Dandelions are kinda abundant over there as well. I hope they've figured out something on mowing the grass too, I'll cut the front yard if nobody else does. Maybe if I take care of that house they'll give it to me!
Next month is the month of rain and dandelions!

Nice temperature here today in the low 80's but the temperature is going down! We might have to wait even longer than May 1st to set out marginals, tropicals and houseplants! -
http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well this was and is our month for ran and dandelions April record 8.60, rainfall this month 8.58 ,,
PRETTY ,PRETTY pics of plants and flowers ,, folks !!!

Tulips and a red willow plant

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Hehe ju, the rain and dandelions got a real good start in April for sure here too! That's close there, less than 2 more hundredths of an inch to go and about a day and a half to go, records were meant to be broken!
They showed on the news some regional areas got too much rain and some need even more. Around Kirksville, MO., (which is toward Iowa and Iowa I'm sure, got too much rain). They showed where West Kansas still needs more, even though they are at normal, they need more rain still they say. The rain around No. Mo. and IA. needs to go West!
Will

ok, so the lilacs down the street from work ( in wichita north of me) are in full bloom, mine are just budding.. not fair! going to snow wenesday yippee

NOT!
our main water supply resavoir is at 50 percent rightnow.

Will, I stopped by Aldi's and got a Jap Maple today. I got Red Select for my friend. Puny looking things but the one I got looks healthy. I meant to get a pic earlier but forgot as I hurried up and watered it then hid it in my truck again. lol

I went to Powell Gardens yesterday with my friend who's garden I'm making and we had a blast. I got pics of stuff blooming thou I don't have them downloaded yet.

All of your guy's tulips and daffs look great!!

Good, now I won't be alone in case something is wrong with them! lol I'm just kidding pepper, I think they're fine, they may be small now but in a few years they should be fairly sizeable I hope.
For $13 it's worth a try! I think 'Red Select' looks like a nice red one, even though it has a name that sounds like produce I'm sure it's a good tree!

Yeah, I bet the biggest Aldi trees went early, like the first or second day. Remember this Veronica Speedwell you sent me as a little plant in about a 4" square pot about 2 years ago?! -

I've been moving forward slowly on getting my Aldi raised garden bed in operation! - That trash can was full of soil that I mixed up but it still needs about twice that much soil.

I got a bag of 20 Lily-of-the-Valley roots and I potted up about half of them this afternoon into a big decorative planter. My friend here just loves Lily-of-the-Valley, but I've been having a hard time getting them to grow, so I'm trying it again! -

I took a gamble last year and tried a seed packet of Black-Eyed Susans, (in the orange pot). Hopefully this is them, along with the ones that I got from ju, I might be able to come up with a pretty good showing of them!

Hope everything went well with your hubby's polyp surgery, Betty.

I need to get my 2014 stickers on my license plates, there's only one day of April left!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

What the little blue flowers ,? Those look cheerful and interesting...
How are the Black -Eyed Susans you got from Ju I don't feel like I got that much accomplished today ?
Only wow!!! am I run down tonight !! All the fresh air or something?lol

The little blue flowers are Speedwell Veronica 'Georgia Blue', they ARE cheerful and interesting aren't they?! They really get the solid color going on when in bloom, I love the Speedwell. They started out as a small plant in a small pot! I'll get a photo of it in a pot back in the day. - That's it in the front nearly 2 years ago.

The B.E.S's you sent me are doing great! Boy, I'd love to have some Black-Eyed Susan flowers this year!
I'm run down too, just tired though! Hope you feel better soon.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I have that veronica too and I LOVE it!! I need to get me some more.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hello, It's been a long day. I'm heading to bed, but wanted to say "hi". My husband was sitting up watching tv when I left, so he's doing ok. Thanks for your prayers and concerns. : )

I hope hubbys surgery went well, my hubby and I have had no bad news from our procedures. I have never grown speedwell.
I did get two nanking cherry babys to put with the grwon one, they are planted now. Judy your box is in the air, and Pepper your box will go out wenesday instead of tuesday. I keep adding to it. Looks like a big bag od salad greens, but you can tell what is what, the monardas smell, the obedient plants have white and purple round stems and roots, and well, if any questions, call me at work.

oh good! well I can't twype tonight so off I go...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I will look some more about the "Blue" My flowers are becoming many . space only goes so far as I am .
The BES usually bloom during the hottest time of year or just after , drought or rain , As good a reason as any that they became so popular ,, easy grow , nice bloom . once they are growing anyway .
That and they run if you let them ,, About five or six times faster than Coneflowers do. I have three little Pow Wow Wild Berry Coneflowers from my wintersow efforts .
The ground hog chewed the roots of my Salix discolor , the native one , So I turned what was left into cuttings , Hopefully I will get a few to grow .. Saw one little hare of a root on one little one , very little ,, hoping for tomorrow , it gets that way , A small he, he to that ...
That ground hog has been really destructive , my willow and two old heirloom varieties of Daylily have fallen victim to it . Not to mention my fancy Lupines that it started on...(grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)
Some cross posting there . Well jw we will be anxiously awaiting them !! And gb have a nice night and look after Hubby , hoping all goes well ,..
good night all !!!

This message was edited Apr 29, 2013 10:14 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

63/85/61
Today...Breezy. Mostly cloudy early in the morning then becoming mostly sunny. High in the mid 80s. Southwest wind 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 30 mph.
Tonight...Partly cloudy. Low in the lower 60s. South wind 10 to 15 mph.

I don't know if anyone has seen this, but it's the best one yet!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/15/dog-wants-a-kitten-ultimate-dog-tease_n_3084191.html

Will,
Minor flooding for a couple of days and all is back to normal. I just hope we don't lose the volume of water we have now.

Ju,
Our rain chances are drying up. I'm afraid we'll end up with another dry year :o(
What are the poles for?

Pepper,
I never have planted, any hellebores, LOL! I like them tho! Pretty color on the magnolia! LOVE the tulips! Love the pink and white tulip too! The nice thing is, no one sees the weeds from a distance. For all anyone knows, it's flowers waiting to bloom. That's a pretty bed of tulips tho! The rabbits have nibbled a lot of mine and I have so few anyway.

Green,
Prayers for your husband. I hope all goes well!

Happ,
Your potting shed will turn out just fine! I can't wait to see it and I'll bet you can't wait to use it!
I find I'm waking up tired and I tire faster by late afternoon. Sheesh, am I really getting ''old?''
I've been catching some of the dust storms on public TV. So very sad to hear of those who died from dust pnemonia. I can't imagine how awful it was to live in continous blowing sand and dirt.
BEAUTIFL Tulips!
Wow, one zone away makes all the difference. You have so much blooming!! So many neat photos! How wonderful to take DH tulips.

Joeswife,
Yes, I think like an apple, you need two different kinds.
We tore our old lilacs out and I really really miss them in the spring!

Happ,
Beautiful!!

Will,
Those are nice and you get to enjoy them :o) I call them grape hyacinths.

Ju,
LOVE fringed tulips!
Is that a black pussy willow?

Pepper,
Do you miss working at Powell's? How is the new job going?

Will,
How nice to try the LOTV for your friend. I hope you can get them to grow.
Speedwell has the most intense color. I love it!

Ju,
I'll bet you did more than you think! I also think it's called spring fever :o)
Grrr on the groundhog!!!

Green,
That is wonderful!! I hope DH comes home soon!

I mowed once now and the yard looks great! It always does in the spring, LOL!

We had our first, most delicious, asparagus yesterday! Yayyy! I nibbled the rhubarb, but it's not too flavorful yet. The stalks are getting large so I may pull them off and stew them anyway. I'm hungry for spring tonics!

Every day I do a little more weeding and I've been a good girl and used sunscreen. I missed spraying right along my shoulder in back and got a red line along my shirt. I found a tube of lotion so I'll be using that a bit inside my shirt. I am determined to really use the sunscreen this year. I sure like the sprays. I can spray myself all over quickly.

Right now, I'm weeding all the little beds first because the biggest are going to be the worst. I have root grass in two beds, GRRR!

My neighbor brought me a small clump of miniture daffodils and I need to plant them today.

We missed any chance of rain yesterday. I thought we would so I hung clothes out. LOL! Now I need to water the garden. I am determined that every seed grow!

We brought the plant stand in. I chose the tomatoes and peppers I'll sow, Have yet to do it. Time is going faster then me!

It's going to be another perfect day here! Have a perfect day everyone!

I can send you some stem cuttings of Speedwell, ju, it says they propagate by cuttings - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55794/ After this cold spell, maybe it will be warm enuff at nite even to mail you the SpiderPlant babies too. Now that I know Speedwell propagates by cuttings I'd like to try a couple myself. You can't ever have too much Speedwell Veronica!

Glad to hear your husband's surgery went good, green, and no news is good news on those tests, jw!

I am all too familiar with plants and flowers hanging their heads, I found out that does indeed mean, "time for water, boy!"

Thanks billyp, Grape Hyacinths eh? I thought that name went good with it, like I'd seen it before with it.

Thanks, she said she had Lily-of-the-Valley everywhere as a kid, this is like the fourth time that I've tried growing them for her.

Doing lots of weeding eh Sally, maybe we could see photos of your flowerbeds when your done and everything is in bloom.

Happ says she's in the wrong spot! Your in Kansas City so that's the right spot! : )

I was outside for a while and got more pictures! I was just looking over my domain, okay, not really my domain but my plants anyway! lol
I trimmed my Japanese Barberry and made 2 plants by cuttings out of it, so hope they take root! - http://www.ehow.com/info_7969846_barberry-bush-propagation.html
(The pliers were to handle them gently, I'm not about getting poked!). My Lilac has got a few purple heads, not bad for a 4 inch seedling 3 years ago! -
Here, I was trimming up my Pothos and making cuttings to plant back in the pot. - My friend said that's Gold Pothos but unless it gets some serious gold color on it, I'm saying it's regular or Green Pothos. Maybe the sunlight makes a big difference in how much Gold Pothos really gets the gold, not sure there, but I'll find out this Summer because I will probably put it outside in the sun, along with my big SpiderPlant.
Speaking of the amount of light affecting something, that is my parent plant of Hawaiian SpiderPlant. This particular plant never got any flourescent or artificial light, just the poor, Winter, indirect sunlight in the window and it's Hawaiian stripe part isn't that good, (btw, it's just in the sink getting some water is all). I have other SpiderPlants, (from this plant) downstairs under shoplites and they have a distinct "Hawaiian Center" part, some of the leaves are mostly light or even white.

There is that Speedwell, flowering real good! I have some Creeping Phlox and it beats it good on flowering. -
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Plants look nice ,and are still interesting . Poles are for fence posts in place of trellis sides such as .
I like this one here
Garden edging , had an old roll.
water bottles , 8 ounces
soda bottles 2 liter
Cement or concrete 8 ounce water bottle placed inside 2liter . Garden edging comes off of outside and does not stick to concrete , That has two screws and is placed around the outside of bottles , Bottles are all sealed inside , and bottles stick to cement stronger than e-poxe does .
These are pics of the start , later will do the finished this way , I am still learning some .. Cement goes between water and soda bottle and between the soda bottle and the garden edging .
Talk later about the plants folks ,, in a while
Nice to hear from billyp and all of you also...

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Can't wait for the plants!! I was hoping that tomorrow I could get over there to get stumps pulled out so the bed could be rototilled but no such luck. And of course a good solid chance of rain everyday thru Monday now.

I just pulled out rotted hollyhock stems and put some rootbound new plants in the bigger pots earlier. So now they will be happy. Just need to get more soil so I can put more in the big pot around the lavendar.

That looks like a neat and cost efficient project there, Judith. Oh rain, what better way to start off the month of May, hey that rhymed!
I dug up an interesting early photo of that Lilac. It really was a 4" seedling when we got it! - That's it on the porch in the square cardboard "planter" that says "Lilac" in purple on it, the seedling is crookedly bent about 45 to the right but if you squint you can see it. Here it is today! It is really incredible how it's grown! - That's it in the front and center now.
That's my regular purple Wondering Jew on the planter, it's a beauty too, I put it on display every now and then.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2013 8:17 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.