Our 19th Annual Photo Contest is now open for entries. You can submit your best images HERE

OVRG #198 Spring is here!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Sorry celene, seems like when one thing happens it starts an avalanche, hope it is not contagious. What is an HHR?

Thanks.

Columbus, OH

It is small, with good gas mileage, and a nice flat rectangular back so I can fit all of my soap and candle goods for a show. Or a lot of plants, lol.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Celene, Glad that you are alright. Sorry to hear about your car. Hope you will be able to replace your HHR with a new HHR. They are nice looking cars.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Celene, so sorry about your accident. I was in a near fatal one back in 2006. I know it's hard to lose your car, but you can sure be thankful you and/or someone you love weren't injured.
Bonnie, bless you and your nursing home ministry. That is wonderful. People like you are true angels.
Karen, thanks for all your encouragement. Maybe Spring has sprung now? Uh-oh, sorry, I think I said that last week!
Janet, I hope some of those friends of Amanda show up soon. A lot of them are finishing up May term and getting ready to graduate, so very busy time at Transy.

Have a good day everyone!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

What a beautiful day! Worked outside most of the day. I'm digging out between my shed and the house to make a walkway. Think we missed out on spring, felt like summer today. That will be ok if the cold stays away.

Bonnie, Hope your visit ant the nursing home was a good one.

Janet, Maybe the warmer weather will help people spend at the market this weekend.

Hope everybody had a great day! Karen

Well, I worked outside this morning until about 11:30, then had to come in and shower and get ready to go to Louisville to the Dr. Had a biopsy today, and won't hear the results until about this time next week. She told me not to worry about it, and I really don't think I will. She said that if she had to guess, that she thinks the biopsy will be negative. Since I have been dealing with this issue for almost a year, I am so hoping that she is right and we can put this issue behind us.

For Peggy and Karen. About 2 years ago I started classes to become a lay minister. I was certified as a lay speaker after a year, and am now working on being certified as a minister. As part of my studies/classes, I was required to either start a hospital or nursing home ministry. I chose the nursing home, so that I could build some kind of relationship vs maybe seeing a hospital patient one or two times before they were dismissed. I have been doing this since January, and honestly I wasn't overly excited about it at first. But I have gotten to know about 10 residents and they look forward to my visits and I look forward to Tuesday's myself. Some of the residents have alzheimers and although they don't remember me from week to week, they seem glad to have a visitor. Others who have sound minds may not have any family, so no visitors, and others who have family seem to enjoy seeing someone different. I am not "preachy" just there to cheer them up. They are gradually asking me to pray for them, and one lady enjoys me reading scripture. So I just try to meet their needs as best I can. I take them treats often, so some may just see me as someone who brings good things! The nursing home is great. The activities director and her staff celebrate everything. All the holidays, and sometimes they just make up stuff to celebrate! About 2 weeks ago, when I went they were celebrating people over 70 years old!

Off to head to bed, been a long day,and I really feel like I could fall asleep as soon as I stretch out.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Bonnie, I believe your ministry at the Nursing Home is very special. My dear mother was in the nursing for about 6yrs. Before she got Alzheimer, she used to tell me about every visit from our laic minister . It was a bright spot in her week. After she forgot who I was, she referred to me "as that nice lady that visits me and brings me surprises" to the nurses . There are many patients who never get a visitor at all. I always took Mom a fresh bouquet of flowers from my yarden and I always took two , and asked the nurses who needed them the most that week. I would go and visit a little bit when I took them the flowers. There were some that would cry because they were so happy to have a visitor. There is no way to put a value on what you are doing, but I'm sure your reward will be great. God bless you for it. Lou

Columbus, OH

And the HHR is fixable!! Woo hoo! They are also going to try to get the giant coffee stain out of the passenger seat for me at no charge. Awesomesauce!

Celene, that is great news. When we are attached to our vehicles, it is hard to see them die, either a natural death or an accidental one. Wahoo on the coffe stain removeable too, that is worth it's weight in gold.

Lou, I have one lady that I visit that has no family and no visitors. My heart just goes out to her, so I try to spend a little extra time with her. I took her a Mother's Day little gift (chocolate) and she said, but I am not a mother. I said when you were younger did you have pets? She says yes, so I tell her that mothering pets counts just as much as children, and they are very similar. She smiled real big, and said glad you explained that to me, so now I can celebrate the holiday every year.

That is what I am all about, bringing smiles to faces that really need them.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, I will pray for your biopsy to be negative. Just the word biopsy can sound so scary. Glad your doctor is guessing negative. Will keep you in my prayers.
Congratulations on your choice to become a lay minister! I think I would have chosen the nursing home over hospital as well. Like you said so many people in nursing homes have no family that goes to see them. It sounds like a fun nursing home. I'm sure you are thought of more than just someone who brings good things. You are warming their hearts and letting them know you care. That can be everything to some people. I'm sure you already know that. Bless You for being such a kind person! Karen

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Celene, Great News! Glad to hear you will get your car back and without the stain!

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Bonnie, that just warms my heart. What a sweet person you are. My mother passed away 2 yrs. ago this past March. She had to be in a nursing home for awhile and thankfully had all of us to visit her and all the nurses loved her, but it's a lonely experience even with visitors. People like you brighten their days and give them something to look forward to. Bless you, bless you, bless you. I'm sure there will be many stars for your crown!
I too will pray for a good report on your biopsy. That's scary.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hope nobody has been washed away in all this rain. We have so many earthworms washed out in our driveway. Poor DS wants to save them all. We now have a lot of them in a bug jar. I know my neighbors thought I had lost my mind collecting worms in the rain.
We are going to the Cin. Zoo Wed. with DS school. Thank goodness they have plenty of places to get out rain. I'm a chaperon for 5 to 6 1st graders. Hope I can keep up with the kids on those hills. Looking forward to seeing what annuals they have planted this year.
Better get to the house work. Everybody have blessed day!
Karen

Doctor's office called about noon yesterday, and the biopsy showed cancer-again. Calling Monday to make an appointment to go in to discuss treatment options.

Cloudy here, and just as soon as I can get a few things done, heading out to dig more daylilies.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm so sorry to hear cancer. Sending healing thought's and hug's your way. I will keep you in my prayers. Praying for some good news Monday. God Bless You!
Karen

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Will keep you in my prayers. What a disappointment. Hope it is easily taken care of.

Columbus, OH

Oh no! So sorry to hear that it's cancer, I hope they can treat it as quickly and easily as possible.

Waddy, KY

Doggone it Bonnie! That's rotten news. Thank goodness she went ahead and sent it for pathology. I figured if she was confident enough to say it would probably be nothing that things would be fine. You need anything, just call. Or call even if you don't need anything.

Markets were actually a little better today. It was warmer and they stayed dry. First strawberries of the season hit the table at Louisville. There were feeding frenzies at the tables that had them. I had asparagus, lettuce and radishes so things were calmer at my tables.

I've been spraying the heck out of the daylilies and if I can get in there and spray the grass again this week I might actually get a handle on the darned stuff. Still have plenty of other weeds to deal with though.

Think I'm going to go find my bed. Morning came real early this morning.

Thanks everybody for your kind words and the encouragement. I really do need your prayers, so keep them going heavenward.

I was so confident that it would be a clean biopsy, and as Janet said, the Dr was really optomistic too. However the good news is that it is not as extensive as it was last year, only one little spot, but it still has to be dealt with. That is why I am hoping that I can put any surgery or treatments off till the fall. Last year, I was unable to do anything in my gardens, what with the cancer and then pneumonia, I was sidelined all summer. So I just want to have a summer where I can work outside and enjoy everything. Don't think that is asking too much. But will call Monday and made the appointment to go in and talk to the Dr, and of course will follow her suggestions about it.

I am digging and dividing daylilies, and have about half the patch all dug up. Wish everybody was closer so that you could come dig, and go home with a carful. They have gotten so crowded that they barely bloomed last year, and it just has to be done.

Waddy, KY

Tornado so far has missed my daughter in Shawnee OK. Thanks be to God for that!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Janet, How scary! Will pray she stays safe! Karen

Waddy, KY

Ah, we're pretty bad. We were texting back and forth. Got a good bit worried when she said the doors were shaking. It ended up going through about a mile from the campus. She said that their house didn't even get any hail but the TV pictures show that many others weren't as lucky. The good thing was that they had lots and lots of warning so I'm hoping that injuries are at a minimum. Much easier to replace personal items.

Janet, keeping your daughter and all that campus in my prayers for safety, and miracles that shielded them from injury.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Janet, Hope your daughter is OK this morning. What a scary time that must have been.

My little guy had to write a career report. He's in first grade. He wants to be a astronaut. He wrote his paper and made a nice poster for his report. The best part he thought, was he got to bring toys to back up report. It blow's me away that first graders write reports now. We were just learning to read in 1st grade. Times do change I guess.

It's going to be a hot and humid day! Going to get my outside stuff done this morning and clean house after lunch.
Hope everybody has a blessed day!
Karen

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Wow! A lot has been happening with you gals! I've just been work, work, working-inside & out-getting ready for this graduation party. It's about to do me in-I think hard work CAN kill you!
I feel bad complaining when some of you have had such commotion in your lives. Bonnie, I am so sorry to hear about the results of your biopsy. I will pray that the treatment will be minor and recovery quick so that you can get out and dig in the dirt again! I would help you if I could. . it would sure beat what I'm doing!
Janet, glad your daughter is okay. I'm sure you've said many prayers of thanks. It must be rough having her so far away.
Everyone PLEASE pray for fair weather in Lexington Saturday. My "baby" is graduating-we just found out-with honors!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow, I had 13 daylilie's show up today. Had already been digging and weeding so I had the shovel ready to go. It sure was a hot humid day here. Not the best day to plant so many daylilie's that's for sure. Got a bonus daylily named "Oh, Lord, Help me I pray". By the time I got around to planting it I was thinking Lord Help me I Pray!! LOL!

Peggy, Will send out some prayer's you weekend turns out nice. Will pray you have sun and low humidity! Congratulations to your baby girl going out with Honors! How proud you must be.

Need to get to the house work now. Have a great night everyone!

Peggy, sure am hoping and praying that the weather is just perfect for your graduation party. My DSIL is hosting a party for 2 DGD's who are graduating, one from college and one from high school, sisters at that. She has a huge basement so if they have inclement weather they can move it indoors.

Karen that is a hoot. Lord help me I pray, what a name for a daylily. I know by working in my patch, that I could use that sentiment often. It has been so hot and humid. I haven't turned on our AC yet, but looks like within a couple of days, I will need to.

Celene, so glad to hear that your car can be repaired. We get so attached to our vehicles, especially the ones that we love for many different reasons. They grow as comfortable as an old pair of shoes.

Guess I need to look at the food thread for the RU, to see what is needed and what I need to bring. Getting excited about it, and hoping for some good weather there too.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, We have out AC on, our bedroom is on the second floor and has west and south facing walls. We have a strange built home and you can't get cross air with window's open. The guy we bought it off of custom built it himself. His wife must not have had input on the layout. It's a Quad-level. Bedrooms top floor and laundry in basement. I love everything except that. I do have lots of closet space that is a big bonus for me.

Waddy, KY

Yes, pray for good weather on Saturday and Sunday. We need lots of them this summer!

I haven't ordered the first daylily this spring. And I'll tell you the truth, I'm glad I don't have the pressure of trying to get them in the ground in a reasonable time. Last year I had pots sitting everywhere because I didn't have ground ready and they needed to go somewhere. I'm trying to get the patch sprayed and get a handle on the darned weeds. Sprayed the grass about a month ago and you can definately see a difference there. Now I need to spray again to try to get that dreaded Johnson grass. Sprayed a sprayer full for broadleaf weeds today. Should have sprayed longer but DH called and I had to head home.

Steph survived another round of storms today. Unfortunately so many others weren't as lucky. It breaks my heart and makes me tear up just thinking about the parents that won't have their children to hug tonight. I guess as mere humans we'll never understand the why of things like this. The dispair that those folks are probably feeling tonight must be overwhelming. I'm sure many will be in emotional shock for weeks to come.

Celene, good on the car. I hate having to buy another car. I get used to one and want it to drive for ever and ever. And I just don't want to spend money.

I think it's past time for a shower and some bed time.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Janet, Happy to hear your daughter made it through those storms. The news had a story about the sad devastating loss those poor souls are dealing with. Makes you thankful for what you have!

My bed is calling me. Goodnight!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi everybody!
Went to the zoo yesterday with DS's school. Had a good time. Was a chaperon, only had my son and one other little boy. I broke the rules and let them ride the merry-go-round. Was not suppose to spend any money on them. They were really good so on the way back to the bus as a reward I let them ride it.
They had the zoo babies out with the parents. So darn cute! They have a baby gorilla. The mother gibbons had their babies cuddling them. Cute time of year for the zoo.
The zoo is still trying to convert their beds from spring to summer. This weather has everybody all messed up.
Have more DL's coming today. Need to get out there and make sure holes are ready. Still have a lot of weeding left to do. Hope to fix that today.

Have a great day everybody!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Started a new Thread for the RU Photos and Talk.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1314494/

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

This weekend and next weekend there are two Garden Tours down here by us.

June 2 from 10AM-4PM is the Anderson Township Tour.

http://www.andersontownship.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=73RJl63pN20=&tabid=839
Several of the gardens are minutes from our House.

The next one is June 9th

http://www.gchostas.info/assets/eastside_garden_tour_2013.pdf

If anyone is interested in joining us on the tours........

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Well everyone, thanks for the prayers. The weather was beautiful for Amanda's graduation. The house and the yard looked better than they ever have and the food turned out perfect. I'm still getting compliments. It's bittersweet though. . .everyone has gone home and not sure when I'll see some of them again, and my "baby bird" is leaving the nest. Getting back to normal (whatever "normal" is @ our house :) ) isn't bad tho'. I'm planning to dig in the dirt this afternoon after I get off. Yay!

Hope you all had a great RU. I'm going to check out the pics. Maybe next year I'll get to join you!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Peggy, Glad your weekend went good! Normal, What is that? LOL!
Maybe you can make the fall RU.

Happy Birthday Peggy. your first here at the ORVG, and may you have many more!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday Peggy! Hope it is a great one!

Waddy, KY

Have a happy one Peggy! Hope you get supper out and don't have to cook!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.