Plants blooming today

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Its down right misserable working outside after noon. I better get in gear and finish up some stuff.

These are all I could find different blooming today.
Mr. Sydney taking a cool sit-down

Thumbnail by gardenglory Thumbnail by gardenglory
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm liking that Orange, and with white, Easter Cactus a lot...I've been looking for the bright yellow like my grandmother had for years... (Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri,...?)

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I was wondering if someone can help me with what this is. Im sure its something common, I keep seeing two of them coming into the neighborhood, and tonight just stopped and took a little. They are covered in these little yellow blooms.

Thumbnail by gardenglory Thumbnail by gardenglory
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

The blooms almost remind me of some kind of Euphorbia…Love to see a shot of the stem.

p.s. --- Mr. Sydney is adorable!

This message was edited Apr 24, 2013 7:49 PM

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

it says cestrum to me, but i don't grow any cestrum to know for sure.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

That is it. Never heard of it. Thanks

Interesting. I had never seen cestrum flowers that "fan" open the way this one does. Very pretty.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

you're welcome. i kind of like them. they come in different colors too like orange, pink and white. i should see to get one.

this is my favorite hibiscus. i love it, and my neighbor has a similar kind that's more orange than yellow.

Thumbnail by coastalzonepush
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

We are so blessed to have all these beautiful flowers and shrubs to enjoy.

Enjoying all your pics, keep them coming please.

Bonnie

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I love hibiscuses...they grow so well in Florida and they are a great food source for my pet iguana. I just wish I had a purple one.

I have one white/purple clipping going strong, until it died off on me...and I think the culprit was one of my dogs and his bladder! GRRRRR *angry face*

Oh well, one to happier thoughts...

Milk and wine crinum blooming

Thumbnail by shauna1219
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This mornings pic's for the day here...

Thats a nice Crinum Shauna. Beautiful flowers. They remind me of Amaryllis!

I have that same yellow with the red throat Hibiscus CZP. It is one of my favorites and an Heirloom.

The Cantaloupe colored Daylily is different from the other more gold one I shared earlier, and the flowers are 8" across.

David

This message was edited Apr 26, 2013 12:06 PM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Queeny Purple Hollyhock blooming.

Have been pleasantly surprised by this plant and its growth.

Thumbnail by shauna1219
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

GG went out to look at my yellow cestrum. Its blooming like crazy. Blooms don't look like the pic. you posted so if its cestrum it must be a different type. Flower petals are thin and straight in small clusters.

Bonnie

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Shauna....Beautiful! I had no clue hollyhocks would grow in Florida! Are yours in the shade?

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

David, beautiful! love the second daylily
Shauna, beautiful crinum and gorgeous color in that hollyhock

Bonnie, could it be orange cestrum? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51480/
*edit* oops! i meant this cestrum http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/88790/

it's funny that the night blooming jasmine is a cestrum

and i bump up MerryMary's question

This message was edited Apr 26, 2013 10:25 PM

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

My hollyhock is on the east side of my house and gets almost full sun all day. It was a plant with three stalks and once all the seed pods had dropped off, I cut the stalk at the base and it continues to sprout new growth. It's been blooming almost solid since I bought the plant earlier this year.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

My goodness, look what Bonnie started, this is turning into quite a nice thread. I had to catch up and sure do enjoy seeing what everyone has blooming in their Florida gardens. Such beautiful blooms everyone! I looked at each and every single photo. ☺

My mandivilla vine popping new flowers (so nice when it doesn't freeze back), my desert rose's first bloom, the morning glory Bonnie gave me when I first put it in a pot. My pale pink periwinkle that is growing in a crack between stepping stones, I leave it because I love the pale coloring. Bush clover

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

While all the pictures are pretty Sherri; that pale pink Periwinkle (Vinca) is special to me. I would pull it out of the crack and grow it somewhere special so as to make more! That is not a common color...beautiful!

David

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

i have never seen a pale pink one before! the lightest color i've seen would be white - then the bold colors that follow. that one is gorgeous.

did you cut your mandevilla back to get it to vine or something like that? mine just puts out bushy growth.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2013 5:22 PM

Thumbnail by coastalzonepush Thumbnail by coastalzonepush
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

You've reminded me that I haven't one single Caladium in the gardens here CZP,...and now I'm getting some again! Thank you for sharing.

The Bottlebrushes are blooming today though here.

Keep up the good growings.

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Love that bush clover, bet the hummers do as well.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Coastal - are you sure you don't have a bush mandevilla? I made that mistake 1 year. Had the trellis all set up & nothing happened. THen looked at the tag and it was the bush variety. They look nice with a bush at the base of the vine.

Coastal, I've never trimmed the mandivilla. I did have a red one once that behaved as you are describing, it ended up freezing and never did come back, but surely didn't vine like this pink one does, I think it grows an inch a day.

Hi all,
All such beautiful blooms and pictures! Really enjoying them!
A lot of my perennials have been slowly emerging. Coneflowers are showing,but no blooms for them yet. The bulbine is doing very well. It's first full year in my beds, and I'm really pleased with how they maintained so well through our frosty "Winter". A Texas sage that is blooming for me for the first time. A daylily that has struggled for a couple years here. I'm not sure of the name, but I don't think it really likes NE. Fl. It's never been a robust grower. My Disocactus is just getting started. Last year I had over 45 blooms at one time. It was gorgeous!

Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1

I just bought 2 TX sage over the weekend. I like the color of the foliage.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Coastal,
The photo of willow cestrum is exactly what I have. Jeremy gave me a little cutting at first RU I ever attended and now its about 6 foot wide and has developed into 4 large shrubs and they are about 10 feet tall. I have never pruned them. I just let them grow however they wish. They bloom most all the time.

I sure love all these beautiful pics of all your flowers.

Merry Mary, I have some Vietnamese hollyhocks first time last year and they grow well here. I saved some seed and I think I planted it in a pot to be sure its viable before putting it out into the garden. They were in k ind of shade/sun and bloomed great.

Bonnie

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Thats quite a cactus tlm1. You've had me researching!

It's good seeing whats going on in your gardens and especially liked the Texas Sage flower pic too!

Love that Rooster!!!

I too love the silver grey foliage in the Texas sage. The blooms are a real bonus!
My goodness, Qwilter, you sure have been busy! Love the new 'island'…

Haha David, It took me quite a while to pinpoint what it is. I received a cutting years ago from an Aunt. Thought it was an Orchid cactus all along, but after joining DG, I began the research. With a little help from friends and the Orchid cactus forum, I feel pretty certain that it is the Disocactus. A little less sure that it is D.ackermanii though.

These pics are from last year after the blooming…Wishing I had had this camera when it was in full regalia!

Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1
Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

@ Qwilter & sunkissed - thanks for pointing that out! i have on of the diplandenias from SunParasols and i'm going to say that is in fact the shrubby kind. i'm guessing the pink is like the twining long oval crinkly leaved kind

Bonnie, the cestrum sounds like a good plant to have for carefree constant color.

the rain today was great. except that i watered my containers! i did sprinkler some fertilizer around so the rain helped with that.

bulbines are pretty. i love seeing them in a swath, swaying in the wind. i think bees like them too (?)

Raining here now and I'm hoping it continues like this for a few more hours. I just love seeing all the lovely flowers. And my "want" list keeps getting longer & longer.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

When I woke up at 5AM it was raining here. Hope it keeps up all day. We really need it not just for plants but to cut down on fire danger.

Quilter I know what you mean about the want list. Some folks on here have plants I've never even heard of and they are beautiful. Right now I am in dire need of trellises. On Texas garden forum many have used cattle panels and cut them up and bent into shapes. I am thinkink of trying them. They are really strong. We have a 5th sheel trailor to haul one home as they are 16 ft. long and 54" wide. One should make 2 or 3 trellis.

Happy gardening all.

Bonnie

I think I'll start sneaking into all the gardens at nite with my scissors!!!!!

Nice to have rain, it thunder-stormed real good last night right at dusk and still dripping this morning. We sure need it, and I'll actually clean my house instead of work in the garden. ☺

Bonnie I had to look up what a cattle panel was, not being a farm girl, and yes that would surely make a nice trellis, one that would really last and be sturdy. Great idea.

Nice blooms Tim, bet the cactus plant looks really pretty when in bloom.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

The rain pounded down here last night too! Bring it on!!! t
Tlm,
That cactus looks great in the hanging basket and they say the more rootbound the more blooms. I have a zig-zag that they say won't bloom unless its really rootbound. It's supposed to have flowers similar to your Disocactus. Hope it blooms someday.

Be sure and take some new pictures when its in full bloom this year. Maybe this year it will have even more!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Heres the zig-zag...

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Love that zig zag. Nice and green and happy.

The rain must have just missed us. We really needed it too.

Ooohhh!!!! Love the zig-zag! And is that an Epi.oxypetalum that I spy behind it to the left?

That is another one that I have heard loves to be root bound for blooming. I have 2 of them that I've only had a little more than a year. Haven't bloomed yet, so needless to say…I am SO anxious to see it flower. This is one of them. The other is still a bit small.

Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1

So is zig zag the same as Devil's Backbone?

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I've never heard this one called That Q, but I'll bet someone somewhere does! It is also called Rick Rack Cactus and Fishbone Orchid Cactus (Crytocereus anthonyanus). There is a Euphorbia that is popular around and sold at Lowe's a lot called Devil's Backbone, that has tall zig-zaggy still erect stems and variegated pink/green/white leaves...
Tlm,
It is an Epi. oxypetalum! Here's a better picture and it blooms like a fiend. The second picture is of another one I have that I have not identified. The leaves are longer and narrower and evenly notched and the flowers are smaller then the oxy. It has tons of flowers later on, and is just now setting a few. Any ideas on what it is?

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

I wonder if it might be E.hookeri http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2100/

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.