Plants blooming today

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

O wow, I thought one was eating the other one. I saw this going on in the yard the other day and I broke it up. I thought for sure it was eating time, not breeding time.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL!!!! That is too funny! I thought much the same thing at first. Until, as my hubby said…Nothing but a voyeur! LOL!

Good morning, and Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there!

Two new blooms this morning. The first I'm sure is just a "run of the mill" red Canna…But it's new to me. Given by a friend several weeks back.
The third pic. is a bloom on a Nepenthes. aka.pitcher plant. I never knew that they would "bloom".

Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Tara - I never knew the pitched had "blooms".

One of the day lilies I got yesterday has an open bloom today. I'll need to get some pics later today.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I was looking through the beautiful pic's and want to say that "Lady Margaret" is one of the ones that rules Sunkissed! What a great passiflora!
These are some Roses blooming here today. The thick pink one is incredibly fragrant. Thats why I have it!

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Orlando, FL

Clerodendrum -blue butterfly
Hoya pottsii
Hoya carnosa -hindu rope
Desert rose
Desert rose- first flower for the little guy and my largest one

Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna
Orlando, FL

This was a test...basically, no matter which direction I put the picture. ..still ends up sideways.

Thumbnail by locoluna
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks to all for pics and info. Evidentally I have the Cuban anoles also. Ug!!!

Went to dgts. in N. Fl. for Mothers Day weekend and had a good time. From their trip to England she made me a digital frame with 123 pics of the town my mom was born in and new every little detail about the area. She & hubby had their pic. taken up front in the church Mom was baptized in at 1 mo. old and she was wearing my moms weding & engagement rings which I had given her a few years back. Brought tears to my eyes but I was happy for it.

Also spent Sun. after church watching my SIL catch baby pigs in dip net to give away to children from their church and they were tickeled. Their parents were happy too. He'd catch them wash them off under faucet and hand them to the kids. It was so funny. They had 35 and still had more left. My dgt. said their feed bill was getting more than their cows so some had to go. They keep a few cause they donate them to church and neighborhood fund raisers. My SIL donates a full grown hog and also cooks it for the occasion. He is fantastic on the BBQ. Makes his own special rub for the meat.
Can't keep writing as eyes are bothering me this morning so better quit. Will be so glad to have surgery done after we come back from Cal. June 18th. is get to see better day. Yipee!!

Happy gardening to all. Bonnie

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Such pretty blooms everybody, the Canna is always a stand out flower in the garden, and that pink rose is so beautiful, I can't grow roses, gave up a long time ago.
Locoluna all your hoyas and desert roses are spectacular, sideways or straight. I download my photos to my computer and when I rotate them I have to remember to hit save or they'll come out sideways, even though I see them straight on my computer.

1. A sherbet Hibiscus flowering, I picked this bush up a couple years ago on a clearance rack at Walmart. The bush must be two plants because there are also scarlet flowers. What a deal!
2. First Philodendron bloom
3. This is why I stay home in May, too many new flowers popping out!
4. The coleus and African basil in containers.
5. My favortite plant the Russelia sarmentosa - Red Firecracker or rocket Plant - just coming out with new flowers, just wait for this one, it is a real burst of red all summer long until we get a freeze, but comes back each year bigger and better...this isn't the commonly seen red fountain grass, but is related. (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59718/)

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Hey Bonnie sounds like a good visit, and you thought they might do the pictures for you, that is really something, that would've brought water to my eyes.

The pig catching sounds like it would have been just hilarious to watch. That is really something all they do for their church, truly amazing people.
Glad you had a great time!

-Sherri

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

More incredible pic's Sherri!

Orlando, FL

Very nice pictures. The rocket plant is awesome. Lobelia...love love love that stuff! Great with red firecracker

Orlando, FL

Epi cactus
B.vriesea
Epidendrum radicans

Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna

Nice Epi and brome blooms.
I have some radicans that were given to me by a friend last year in the ground, but I think in too much shade because they aren't blooming. But was reading I can just put them in a hanging basket with pine bark mix and they'll grow, or even up in an oak tree. I need to go vertical, running out of ground room. ☺

Orlando, FL

Thank you. I have the opposite...too much sun and no oak trees. I have way too many hanging plants. Too many in pots, period! I need to build a shadehouse and incorporate the rest into the landscape.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

One of my yellow hibscuses, black n blue Salvia and El Capitolio Sport. Found that moth hanging out on my irises.

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

in love with everyone's flowers! what a scary little moth!

Thumbnail by coastalzonepush Thumbnail by coastalzonepush Thumbnail by coastalzonepush Thumbnail by coastalzonepush
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

A triple level El Capitolio! Thats cool Shauna. I like the Moth too.

That is a beautiful Canna CZP..........Thanks for sharing all of your pictures everyone...

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sherri she gave me one of those digital frames with all 123 pics on it. You can bet I had tears watching them in the beautiful little church.

Thanks to all who shared their pics. Shauna I have 4 bushes of that El Capitolio hibiscus but didn't know the name. They are blooming now.

I'm praying for rain again.

Bonnie

Good morning all!
Some pics from this morning…
The Basket vine, and Hoya are looking happy.
And I'm doing Cukes in containers this year. Starting to see a little bit of production. :-)

Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1

Also found my first Cone flower of the season.

Thumbnail by tlm1
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Some pics from around my yard today.

1. Painted lady hibiscus
2. Schizopetalus hibiscus
3. Yellow walking iris
4. El Capitolio hibiscus
5. Spin the bottle hibiscus

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219

Taking a break from enlarging the front garden & spreading mulch.
Here are some pics from out front.

The Lilly is Spacecoast Southern Belle

Thumbnail by Qwilter Thumbnail by Qwilter Thumbnail by Qwilter
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

It looks like many of us like El Capitolio Hibiscus!

It's good seeing everyone sharing pic's, and heres an Eggplant bloom from today, and the second is Amaranthus, Hibiscus and Okra with other things..
That is one huge nice island plant bed Jean. The Lily looks like my "Big Hair". Maybe they're cousins!

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

Now I just need plants to fill it up. I did find a volunteer Amaranthus far away from where I had 1 last year. I'm worried that I may have killed all the seedlings....................I am not good with transplanting small startings.

We just had a nice rain. Now the sun is back out.

Tim I'll be curious to see how your cukes do in containers, you'll have to keep posting updates that one, pretty hoya bloom.

Shauna all your hibiscus are so pretty, the El Capitolio is remarkable.

Q, I really like that Spacecoast Southern Belle lily, the yellow ruffles around each petal, very nice indeed. I started new seeds for Amaranthus seeds, since I botched the first set starting way too early. Now I'm probably too late. Hope yours work out for you. I'm just not good at seeds...period. :(

Although not a fan of eggplant, it sure puts off a pretty bloom.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

My father-in-law used to plant his cukes in the white 5 gallon buckets from Lowes....in nothing but cheap cypress mulch, and watered them with Miracle Grow water. He drilled several holes in the buckets about 6 inches up from the bottom, for drainage. Leaned the buckets against a chain link fence, and that was it. He grew abundant cukes and tomatoes that way, and they were better than anything you could buy!

Orlando, FL

Brugmansia 'pink perfection'...african daisy...adenium...bleeding heart...graptopetalum'superbum'

Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna

I was thrilled to find baby zucchini on my plants today!!!! And my Purple Brug is about to bloom.

And the storm is heading toward us - dark, windy, thunder rumbling.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I know that feeling Jean,....on the plants and the weather!

I love the Pink Perfection! What a beautiful color!

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

the rain was great, nice rumbles of thunder. yesterday was more thunderstorm like. now i have to remember to turn the sprinklers off.

i love that it was never too heavy off a rain to beat anything down, or wash out. it was a nice constant rain.

if only Mother Nature were that merciful to the people in OK and TX...and wherever else...my sympathy goes out to them. i watched a video of an old lady being interviewed at her destroyed neighborhood, and out pops her dog from under the rubble!

the bleeding hearts look nice and healthy!

Good to know MerryMary about the cukes in the 5 gallon buckets, was that here in FL?

The Pink Perfection Brug is really nice! Bet it is a real stand out in the garden.

The rains here have been a real blessing...my rain barrel once again full.

First purple passi bloom, Red bleeding heart, Angelwing Jasmine, Jade Green dend orchid (new one from Mother's day),
Deep pink phal orchid,

This message was edited May 22, 2013 6:12 AM

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Yes, he grew the cukes (and tomatoes) that way here in Orlando. I was raised on a farm in Ohio as a child, and these were equal in taste.
I think we get one more day of rain, I'll certainly take it!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Still enjoying everyones pictures. I'm researching that Pink Perfection Brug. Gotta get one!

Passiflora perfection Sherri...

Thks Mary, we have lots of those buckets around here. I could eat cukes till they're coming out my ears.

Thks David...I'm gonna be out your way tomorrow visiting another DG friend. Do you have any great plant nurseries over there?

Orlando, FL

It certainly looks as though we share similar good tastes. Ditto on the cukes...mmmmm.... Tomatos and cukes out of the garden...nothing compares to that!

Two first blooms-passion...Schizo...red salvia...morning glory

LOVE those passi's…
My pineapple sage is growing like crazy….
So is the dollar weed!!! Wish it was worth something!

This message was edited May 22, 2013 10:45 AM

Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Sherri, there's the Power Plant on Marsh Road that sells orchids. There's A Place in the Son on Kepler Road that's a mixture of plants. I think that Nordman's has a spot on ISB that they sell to the public. I've never stopped. I'm not sure what all they have. There is another place on 15A that has azomite, olive trees and fruit trees. I can't remember the name of it (maybe David will). My mom and I have gone to Pell's nursery several times, but it's not in DeLand. It's in Osteen. That place has citrus and lots of old plants that are neat to look at. I snagged a few beautiful purple crinum bulblets while I was there that had fallen on the ground. Don't snitch on me if you stop there though! ;)

Erin

Orlando, FL

More angels..pink perfection and a double that ends up peach in color. Last pic-pink perfection starts out a creamy mottled pink and gets a deeper pink as it ages.

Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna Thumbnail by locoluna

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.