Only a few more days to enter our 19th Annual Photo Contest. Voting starts this Friday! You can submit your best images HERE

Spring 2013 and through the seasons. (continued)

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Its May today, and its hard to believe we were all fretting freezes just a month and a half ago! Its amazing how fast our Florida gardens change when things start growing. We started this thread on March 6th here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1301348/ Its time for this new one as the other had gotten too long. Its been fun sharing mine, and others sharing theirs in our Spring beginnings. The information that our DG gardening friends have shared there is something that I hope will continue into this one!

This is the reason for this thread welcome newcomers, and I hope more and more will share their gardening adventures and pictures through the seasons!...

(from March 6th)...
...I'm planning to share pictures of our gardens from now and through the seasons and am hoping a few might do the same with pictures of their own gardens along with me here, on any thread, or on a thread of their own!

I'll be adding to this daily, weekly or monthly with updates,... Remember,...I would like to see yours too, and its more fun to share... Glad to answer any questions any may have. I like learning new techniques and ideas and vice-versa...

David

Happy Spring Gardening!

March 4-6 2013. The beds are torn out re-edged and weeded. The Mushroom compost is laid out and will be rototilled in with a little 10-10-10- tommorrow...
Now its May 1st, and I'm sending some comparison pictures taken March 6th and April 30th from similar angles showing how much things have changed in just 6 weeks or so around here...

The Season is still young. What will our gardens bring in another 6 weeks?... Show us what you're up to!

David

The giant Kohlrabi are still taking the heat and the bulbs are starting to form nicely. (the last pic.)

This message was edited May 1, 2013 9:01 AM

This message was edited May 1, 2013 3:44 PM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

These are some other May 1st pic's around here. In 6 weeks the Amaranthus and other surprises should appear...

...The grapes on the arbor are leafing out and blooming a lot. I hope it holds grapes this year. It is starting to climb the rope bridge trellis over the sidewalk to the door... It would be fun to shade the sidewalk with grapevines!

The 2nd picture is from March 6th too, when the Winter Cabbages and Cauli's etc. were still out front. The 3rd picture is of the same area less then 2 months later on April 30th. Nature is amazing!!!

In the last picture, the 4 young green plants in front of the Red Crinum lily in the center are Eggplants. I'm incorporating veggies and herbs troughout the gardens front and back more so this year.

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

More May 1st pictures...

pic1. These giant burgundy Banana Leaf Canna's were burnt flat to the ground just 7 weeks ago! They take full, hot, Southern Sun exposure and reach 8 ft tall! They are one of my favorite plants.

pic2. Can anyone help me identify this Bromeliad?

David

This message was edited May 1, 2013 10:25 AM

This message was edited May 1, 2013 10:29 AM

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi David, that bromeliad bloom looks kind of like http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55447

I traded some crinums this past weekend with a lady and got a burgundy leafed canna from her. Excited to see what bloom comes out of it because she pulled them out of someone's yard and had no idea what the color was.

Shauna

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

It does look like that Shauna! I have no doubts its in that family.

Thank you so much for trying to locate it for me. Its leaves are fairly red on the undersides, and are red in its throat on top. A small red spike rises out of the gold beaks (as this ones blooms develop) and the bloom shown is still developing. Gosh! there must be a gazillion bromeliads! Thank you much again. I probably have 10 more that I have no Idea what they are! Ha!

The burgundy Crinums have large spidery flowers in pale pink and white. They can look messy and beautiful at the same time.

Happy Gardening!

David

This message was edited May 1, 2013 6:18 PM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Ive gotten rid of all my crinums. I hate cleaning them up.

Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

David, may I ask what you use to kill insects around your veggies?

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Got rid of all my cannas due to bugs. Only ones that stayed not eaten were ones I put into pond but then they grew to giants and kept falling over. Love the burgundy leafed ones best. There also is a zebra with striped leaves.

Love all the pics David.

Bonnie

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

We are FINALLY getting the rain they have promised!!!! Plants are doing the "happy dance"

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Quilter, glad you are getting some of this rain....I think it rained all night long here, still sort of dripping out there.

David I like the side by side comparison you did with your garden photos. I guess that is why we all love gardening so much, the joy of watching everything grow, always something new to see and never a boring stroll though the pathways.

here are some of my comparison photos from Early Feb. and this week.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

sunkissed…What else can one say…Wow!!! Beautiful!!!
What is the beautiful bright blue spilling out of the pot in the front? It's really an eye catcher! ;-)

I want my back yard to look like that. I guess I can do 1 section a year!!!!!

Here a couple more, early March and this week.
I do have lots of things in pots and they get moved around quite a bit with the change of seasons....I'm so glad David had this before and after idea, it really is amazing and fun to do on a rainy morning.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Tim that is Lobelia, it will die out soon, I get it as fillers in the winter while waiting for the stuff in the pots to come back. Doesn't like the 90 degree humid rainy weather though, but the other stuff will fill in by then. It comes in several shades from light purple to the one you see a very dark purple. A little dollar pot of it will fill out really fast.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Its still raining.

I'm "happy dancing" right along with the plants!

I did a lot of Amaranthus transplants yesterday and this will help a lot. The first picture is a few of the young Hopi Red-Dye Amaranthus in a patch all about 1 foot high. They will grow fast now. The Molten Fire (pic 2, 4"now) and Aurora Gold (pic3, 4"now) are starting to look good to. They are planted all around the place and will soon b 4-8 ft' high! They single handedly change the look of the yard. I'm planning on a big garden patch of them out back this year just to use as Summer greens...
I'm glad Bonnie... Thank you!
Tara,
When I do spray the veggies I have one insecticide of choice that I have been using for years. Leafminer ruins the look of plants and are a problem around here. Other then systemic insecticides they are nearly impossible to eradicate on veggies. We know Systemic of any sort is NOT to be used on veggies for consumption,...so what to do? This product works on all vegetables and ornamentals...

"Ferti-lome" makes a product containing Spinosyn A and Spinosyn D that is more a biological way to get rid of bugs and works incredibly well. ( Research Spinosad for more information and it is sold in some places under that name) "Ferti-lome" packages theirs as, 'Borer, Bagworm, Leafminer And Tent Caterpillar Spray'. I believe in it and have been using the product for nearly 10 years. Great on keeping the "mush bugs" from destroying your Cucurbits too!

Happy Gardening,

David

This message was edited May 2, 2013 10:06 AM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

Qwilter it has taken me 19 years to get it like this, but really my husband has helped me so much in the past three years now that he is retired. I put the stones down but he made me all my trellises, my workbench, and compost bin. You would not believe the mess this yard was when we bought the house 19 summers ago, one day I'll find those pictures in a box somewhere.

He built me these just in the past few years, he is my hero.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Gosh my Amaranthus don't look anywhere near that big....ugh! I'm sure I just started them way too early.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Sherri,

I was typing while you were sending, and what a surprise when I finished and saw all the pics...WOW!!!

Love the comparison pics and the place is looking incredible already,... Just wait till 6 more weeks go by...

You have done a great job creating your "Garden of Eden", and Keep up the Good Works!

(The pathways and arbors are really well done. I'm envious. Ha!)

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I still have a bunch of crinums that are really just a filler in one flower bed. They will get pulled out whenever I decide what to put in their place. I that that YTT that Bonnie gave me will make a nice addition to it :-)

Wonderful side-by-side photo shoot Sherri. It's like a personal pat-on-the-back when you see what you started with and then the progress in a few months. Looking good!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Did you save any seeds Sherri? This is a perfect time still to start Amaranthus. Lowes frequently has a mix pack that do great. Start seeds now and they will grow like weeds and Okra. The early seeds I started fizzled on the whole too so I started some new ones April fools day! (The Molten Fire and Aurora Gold in the pictures)

Try again. They are worth it!

David

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Do you ever garden by the moon? Maybe you planted them on a barren day.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1309752/
I check in here often. I have no idea if there is really anything to it, but I figure it cant hurt.

This message was edited May 2, 2013 3:42 PM

No I didn't save any seeds, sorry to say, but I'll check out Lowe's.

And no GG, don't ever garden by the moon, but I do like to sit and look at it...a lot. I really don't do very much seed planting, I've read a bit about gardening by the moon in the past, interesting. Guess I better get my rooted passion vine into the ground this week, since it is vine time. ☺

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I was amazed to see it still raining this morning.

I don't actually garden by the Moon like my Grandparents did. They swore by it and my Father says I should...

Thanks for bringing my attention to that forum GG. I found it interesting and I sent Christina a message. I think I'll go get a "Farmers Almanac" again for the heck of it...

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

For those of you who haven't seen this before; this You Tube video of 'Leu Gardens' is great and the music is pretty...a perfect rainy day garden video to inspire...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzuk8HqIcSA

My rain gauge ONLY holds 8" and it overflowed before the sun came up. I emptied it 30 min ago & it now has another 1/2"+ and it is still POURING. Luckily my neighbors have a rather large sail boat in the back yard!!!!

My green house blew over so am not sure of the fate of the seedlings.

This is how my back yard looks........................luckily the garden part, off to the far left, seems OK.

Thumbnail by Qwilter
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

That's a lot of water Q!... Sailboat?......seen any fish?....HaHaHa! Your gardens are gonna be agrowin' when this is over.

I just took some early morning rain pics here too. No Lakes though!

My neighbors do have a sailboat & say there is room for us!!!!
Your "jungle" looks happy!!!!!

My gosh Quilter, what a bummer about the greenhouse. I only seen my rain gauge overflow once or twice, so you did get a lot of rain. Looks like more on the way there too by the radar, I have a kayak you can use ☺.

We got 2.5 inches the past 24 hours, which puts us to almost 6 inches this week. I do see some sun peeping out here, maybe?

Hopefully all this rain puts out the scattered wildfires around the state.

I need to go take a walk around Leu Gardens soon, was there for the plant sale but way too many people there.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

We have received around 5 inches since this rain make started earlier this week...and the plants are loving it!

Qwilter...sorry about your greenhouse. Hope your seedlings make it through!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

How did the seedlings and GH fair Q? Is it repairable?...

It just starting raining again here.

Realizing the little fence panel screens were not going to be nearly large enough for the rapidly growing Lemon Cucumbers; I added some PVC arches and zig-zagged heavy fishing line across them for added trellis. We'll see how it works...

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

You can see the fishing line better in this one...

GH is in 1 piece - just lying on its side. I can see the seedlings lying inside & hopefully some will live. Standing water is too deep for me to go over & right it so I'll leave it.
3" more so far today. Now they say it will go thru Sun AM.

Jacksonville, FL

David,
I quit showing Yolie your pics and now she's searching them out for herself. You're giving that woman ideas that are going to work me to death! I agree with her that you have some good ones, she's madly in love with your yard and wants to meet your friends, Sue and Pat. I just know I'll come home one evening and find a note saying, "See you later, Paula and I went to Deland for yard walkabouts."

Jean get out there and pick up that GH. Yolie has been out constanly in the storms, dumping water from pot trays and checking on the wabbits. She's waded ankle deep water in the pouring rain to make sure the little critters were okay. You won't dissolve and float away, you're too much like her. You gals are tougher than me, she had to threaten me with a bullwhip when she put me on the roof in the rain!

The rain has been something, had to move my potted pepper plants under a canopy so they don't start turning yellow. So far the tomato plants look okay, but might have to move them too. We got hit again last night with one heck of a storm, of course we had company and wanted so much to sit outside, but all took cover in the FL room. It got pretty cool too, had to put on some longer sleeves.

David a good idea for the cukes. I had some fresh FL cukes yesterday, my my were they ever good, I didn't grow them.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I got some fresh cukes at the farmers market myself this week. Did the vinegar/water/sugar/onions thing and could barely give them time to set before I 'got after' those yummy slices.

Charlie - 2 things do melt in the rain & I am definitely 1 of them!!!!!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Plant Thang and Yolie,

Every gardener smiles inside when someone likes their gardens or in my case impending jungle. I'll be wearing my Indiana Jones gardening garb and walking with a Machete soon! HaHaHa!

Seriously now,.....Thank you.

It will be good to have you visit! I'm going to talk to Sue and Pat and let them know you guys would like to stop by in the near future, so as to help us make a loose plan to be around at the same time soon. Sues got a lot of things coming into bloom in a few weeks and so do I. She loves to share her gardens,...and will want to show you everything. Plan for an hour or two there!!! Ha!
This recent rain really helps us all who were fortunate to get it...
Those white PVC pipes are getting a wash of color today to make them blend with the wood look below it Sherri, and the reason for the Lemon Cucumbers is to basically do what you did GG. Make Pickles. Those little ball shaped golden Cucumbers are tough and hugely prolific when they get going. They were another favorite at Monticello. Oh! I have plenty of Opuntia to share!
The Lizard Shanty camp (see the two lizards on the back rim?)

Did you get that greenhouse righted Q?

I can't get to the GH yet........need some sun to come out here & dry it up a bit.
The frogs were so loud last night. Told DH they sounded like cows mooing more than croaking frogs. I can just imagine what they were doing out there!!!!!
Almost need a bridge to get over the standing water at the bottom of the driveway!!!!

Flagler Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

That is to darn cute David, You have some great idea's for the gardens! And I thought I had an imagination. You've outdone me by miles. I wish I had all the stuff and gardens I've had through the years. I'd have a jungle by now too. But, I'm in the blank canvas stage, and still thinking of ways to do this last garden.

Q, did you get pictures of your GH, I hope everything inside survived the tumble!

Happy sunny day! ☺☼☼☼ Jami

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

The Lizards actually seem to like it too Jami. Thanks! I'll get a picture with heads looking out of the doors soon. Ha!
I'm in for Lunch now and I just finished painting the PVC arch trellis brown. Its looks a little better. pic'1.

The 2nd picture is of a cool Coleus. A lady stopped by and gave me a small cutting of it last year and its finally taking off! It's getting brighter and more interesting with increased Sunlight...

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.