staw bale pallet idea

Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL(Zone 7b)

Deejay 9 sent me the link for this. I liked it so much I decided to build one.

Here is the link:;

http://www.hometalk.com/1387026/the-straw-bale-pallet-crate-garden-simple-attractive-and-cheap

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

DIRECTIONS:

The Straw Bale Pallet Crate Garden - Simple, Attractive - And Cheap!

So you have little space, little time, little money and you still want to garden. Or maybe you would like to add a great looking focal point to your existing garden or landscape to grow something unique. Even better, maybe you know of someone who still likes to garden but can't get out or handle as much of the physical activity anymore.Here is a great solution to all three! Create your own Pallet Straw Bale Crate Garden. It's attractive, simple to build, and best of all, low or no cost to make.

With a single pallet, (3) 2x4x8's, a bale of straw, and a bag or two of soil and compost you can create an instant garden space that can provide fresh vegetables or flowers all summer long.

You can purchase all the materials you need for under $15.00 or build for virtually free using pallets and scrap lumber. We made a few single bale boxes last week for our garden and will use them along our fence row to grow our cucumbers in. You can also double the measurements to make a double bale box and plant to your heart's content.

To build on the cheap, you can create the straw bale frame using the slats from a single pallet

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

Start by assembling 2 rectangle frames from scrap wood or 2 x 4′s

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

Next attach the two rectangles with four of your slat boards in each corner

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

Next screw in additional slat boards to create the crate "look".

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

Next -use a sharp knife, reciprocating saw or shovel to dig out a 6 to 8″ planting hole

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

Simply place your plant in the hole and cover with more soil.

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

On the straw bale garden forum they give you great ideas on how to prep your staw bale as it needs to be "fixed" before planting.

I will be making several of these. I love the idea of the slats to hold in the straw as I really hate it when the breck apart and make a mess.

Here is a link to the original directions. Should have read them first. they make much more sence, and give better directions.

http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013/04/30/the-straw-bale-pallet-crate-garden-simple-attractive-and-cheap/

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

this looks like something I need to do .. :)

I am building one tomorrow. Will post pictures of what I come up with ;)

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8a)

That looks like it would be pretty awesome. Did you create the turtle metal piece in your picture?

No, that was a sculpture at Jekell Island, Georgia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.