Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

When I was at the nursery the other day I bought a start of Lovage. Perhaps 30 years ago, I grew it, and all I remember is that it was perennial, grew over my head (5 feet) and tasted like strong celery. I think we had a time digging it out when I wanted to plant something different there.

So I came to Plant Files, looked it up and see that many people list it as invasive. Not something I want to see.

Now I am not sure what to do with it. I planned on putting it in the mixed perennial border, as a tall accent plant that would give me some cuttings for stew etc. It would be in with peony, phlox, daylily, bee balm etc.

Now I am wondering if I should even plant it at all.

I am in Central Ohio. I used to be zone 5 but now they say zone 6 but I don't really believe them.

Thoughts?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Invasive simply means its easy to grow. You have bee balm, thats invasive, simply hack at will when you are ready or get a really big pot. Besides, were the ones claiming it to be invasive in YOUR area or somewhere they couldnt grow a anything but well behaved plants?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Very true. I am adding lovage (Levisticum officinale) this year and looking forward to it. It only has one negative review. Growing conditions vary so much. One person's weed is another person's bouquet.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

For some reason, I have trouble with bee balm not growing over winter. I think I finally found a couple varieties and places in the yard it likes, as it has come back two years now, after failing for many years.

I will try to keep the Lovage dead headed, maybe that will help.

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.