Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

17 year cicadas

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

What do you know? what have you heard? Do we need to prepare?

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOL I made it sound like a zombie invasion

Should people kill them?
http://newjersey.news12.com/multimedia/experts-from-home-depot-on-pending-cicada-invasion-1.5282147?firstfree=yes

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/05/16/cicadas-east-coast-march/

short life " After emerging, the nymphs shed their crunchy brown exoskeletons and will spend their few weeks of adulthood mating and laying eggs in tree branches. Then the red-eyed insects will all die, leaving their 2-inch-long bodies to litter the ground."

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

More info

Insect Nettings are the most effective way to provide protection for your young trees, which are most susceptible. Because Cicada are large insects, a 1/4" mesh netting is effective. Wrap netting completely around the tree. Then, tie or seal it off at the bottom, to keep any insects from entering.

Important Note: Even if the Cicadas have emerged in your area, you have 5-10 days to cover young trees before the female begins to cause damage, as she lays her eggs.

Thomaston, CT

We are awaiting the cicadas here.....don't think they'll damage anything..hope not.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Nothing yet. Birds will be happy.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I printed out a cookbook for cicadas if anyone is interested. Some how I'm just not so afraid of something if I know that I can eat it.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOL, I think I'll pass!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Heehee, me, too, Jen!! Positive thinking AYC

Thomaston, CT

Ah, no thanks, Memory!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

You first.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I was reading that people eat them.. eeewww... can't wait to see what the dogs do.. I know I am going to freak if it's that bad.. I don't have memories of it last time.. I was in the city then.. not the woody backyard I have now.. YOU KNOW I am not going outside if they are that bad!!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh Karen sent me this photo today

Thumbnail by onewish1
Thomaston, CT

Great photo....I remember them as a child, not so much as an adult.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I mentioned this somewhere, don't remember what thread though
My bil 17 years ago brought some emerging 17 yr cicadas back to his house, now they have them emerging this year there(his brother owns the house now and he texted him a pic of them)

Thomaston, CT

Must be an insect lover.....my oldest & youngest grandkids love bugs! The 2 of them showed me their "bug" gardens in 3 different areas yesterday....they bring ants & beetles with them to their "farms"...better than watching tv!

Allison - I have seen some warnings about not letting pets eat them.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

ok thanks Memory.. will do my best

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Winston is going to have a blast! He will play them to death I don't think he will eat them.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Cyrus hates anything that fly's....this should be interesting!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

you think you are going to get them too?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Yup

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Going to a town tomorrow that is a "super cell" for the cicadas, pics to follow

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

cool

Ewwww!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ok, so it was pretty cool and gross at the same time

Holes in ground where they emerged, tons of skeletons

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

here they are

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

It was LOUD, I'm sure when they first emerged it was like a swarm but it wasn't like that today, they were flying around at the very tops of the trees and a few flying here and there, but nothing crazy

and some pretty dogwoods in the park and a wood duck..very cool I never saw 1 in person

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
New York, NY(Zone 6b)

Interesting photos. I think it is the "beady red eyes" that get to me the most, among other things.
Ivy

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

agreed.. freaky bugs!!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

YUK!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Those eyes!!!

One wish, you need to come up with that for your Halloween display.

Haven't seen any here

Thomaston, CT

No, none here, either....the wood duck is very cool!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

should be too hard RD.. LOL

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

I live within walking distance to the George Washington Bridge. I have not heard anything at all. There are thousands of trees along the Hudson River side. Not that I want to see, hear or step on them.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I remember the last news flash about the cicadas...it was about 17 years ago. Nothing unusual here, then or now. Am I too close to the ocean? Not that I mind, I never liked their sound. Always makes me think of long hot summer days when the horses sweat standing still, the dog's tongue reaches the ground, even the cat is panting and not the slightest hint of a breeze. Never makes me think of dinner....or a snack :)

Thomaston, CT

Good description, Weeze.....those are my memories from childhood, but according to the map, I'm outside the concentrated area.....did the population move? I know I heard them!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Haven't seen any here...I kind of like the sound...says summer to me. Don't know if I'd like a swarm of them though.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I am in Eastern PA and so far I haven't seen a single one. Shouldn't they have emerged by now?

I haven't seen any in southwest Connecticut.

Thomaston, CT

None in NW CT.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.