Concrete to Flagstone!

Mooresboro, NC

Two & a half rolls of skinny electrical tape, about 6 hours total (over two days) Five small cans of FREE wood stain = My new "rock" porch floor! I still have to put a top coat on it.

Thumbnail by rubyredcrnbread Thumbnail by rubyredcrnbread Thumbnail by rubyredcrnbread Thumbnail by rubyredcrnbread Thumbnail by rubyredcrnbread
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Great job! That makes a very good looking faux stone porch. What will you use as the top coat?

Mooresboro, NC

Not sure yet, but I don't want it shiny or slick. Hopefully I can find a gallon of FREE, that's my favorite flavor! lol

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yah, I like that flavor a lot too. :) Looks like you've done well with the free stuff so far.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

WOW!!! That looks great

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I LOVE that !! flagstone besides being expensive is not LEVEL enough to be safe for my husband so this would be PERFECT!!! THANKS for sharing your pictures.
PS, tell me your secret for getting free wood stain?

Leesburg, GA(Zone 8a)

I love it! Looks Great!!

mad

Mooresboro, NC

psychw2-The secret for free stain? Just ask everyone you know...I guarantee they have some in their garage/workshop, cause you never use a whole can on something. Thanks everyone for the encouraging words, I'm in love with my new porch too!

Jacksonville, FL

That looks really good Ruby. What did you do here? Lay out your design using the tape and then just brush on the wood stain? How many coats did you use? I have lots of cans of different stains I got free when a paint store closed down and I know DW would like your idea on her sun porch. I could coat it with a matte polyurethane finish to protect it and earn brownie points for those days when I mess up.

Charlie

We all need BROWNIE points!!!! (Good thing my Sweetie had a few saved up, he REALLY needed to cash them in today!)

Mooresboro, NC

Plant_Thang- That is exactly what I did! Putting down the tape was really easy, but time consuming. Then I started with the stain in the middle of each "rock" and worked toward the edges, and into the next rock a little. On the big "stones" I used about three or four different stains, blending and feathering them into each other. As far as how many coats...what ever floats your boat! Some I only used one coat, others I used a couple of colors & coats. Have fun with it...I did!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Stunning..love it! Can hardly believe it isn't the real thing...how LNG did it take you..would make a lively drive!

Did rock in my basement, hadlanned to have ceramic tile put down but turned out so nice it's staying.

That's cool Betty that you liked your "for the mean time" product so much it stayed! VEry nice!

I just might have to consider doing something like that here on our back patio.

Union Grove, WI(Zone 5b)

Very cool, let us know what sealer you decide on and how it stands up to the rain.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Interested as well..I've only done inside floors!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Fantastic job! Looks terrific and I applaud your talent.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

I love it, great job...

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

I have a small porch just leading from the house to the driveway and it is so ugly. This would be the perfect solution. Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea. Another project I don't need, but this would solve my problem and cheap which is what I need.

I "made" a rock stepping stone path over a cement slab in a former dog run. I used concrete patio paint, drew the outline and more or less painted a rock pattern over the cement. It turned out good, I copied what I had seen in a consignment craft store. They had painted their "rock path" right over a commerical low carpet. Sorry, I have no pics to share.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's interesting. I have older outdoor carpet on the deck. Wonder if I could paint that?

Don't know why not. That is what basically was in the consignment store. I think they used regular craft acrylic bottled paint.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks. I may give it a try.

Mooresboro, NC

I finished the floor! I used Thompsons Water Seal-Big jug $9...used a roller. This stuff is like painting with 2% milk, so don't freak out like I did. The original wood stain used on the floor "kind of" seals the concrete in places, so that makes the sealer sort of stand on top, but give it about an hour, it soaks in & dries clear. I'm so proud of my new porch. It's fun to watch people step up on it & think that it's real rock & will be uneven to walk on!

Thumbnail by rubyredcrnbread Thumbnail by rubyredcrnbread
Victoria Harbour, ON

And so you should be...it's great!

I use flecto diamond satin varathane for my projects..worked on concrete floor in basement and I paint backside of linoleum, give it 3 or 4 coats and it lasts forever..downstairs was done 7 years ago and looks the same.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Is that painter's tape you put down? I know I have that here, have to check for stains. You did such a great job, I've no basement so this may be my only flagstone project.

Dahlonega, GA

Good job of blending the colors . Sure looks good .

Victoria Harbour, ON

IF I can figure out how to take the shine of my cement floor will give your technique a try!! love it..

bright colors would be so warming on a basement floor

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

LOVE that rug! I think there is a product available at hardware stores. I read about it here on DG for removing the gloss from wood paneling so it could be painted and think it has letters for a name - maybe TSP. I hope someone who knows what I mean will post and let you know if it would work to degloss the floor.

Victoria Harbour, ON

thanks, am getting tired of the rocks I painted, floormat is done to recycle left over linoleum..

have some tsp, will try it in a corner where if it doesn't work won't be a problem

Decatur, GA

I love the technique. What a great way to spiff up a cement floor.
I always liked the idea of painting a rub on a floor. I wonder how that would work for you Betty? It could have bright colors and brighten up the basement room. Just a thought.
Helen

Decatur, GA

I meant painting a design that resembles a RUG on the floor. Geez!

LOL, Helen!

I've thought of painting a rug on the floor. At first I thought of an Oriental rug but sanity returned quickly.

Rug designs must require the ultimate in patience so now I'm thinking uneven stripes might be ideal since, with the way I shake, uneven would come naturally to me!

http://www.patternmart.com/patterns/section/Penny+Rug+Patterns

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wouldn't be hard but easier to do it on backside of linoleum, eaier on the back and I can change design when tired with old one

Victoria Harbour, ON

I have rugs all over my house that are done with linoleum seeing as the kitties/dog made vacuuming a must, now I simply swift.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Betty, I LOVE the dining room rug!!! I'll have to get with you sometime when I have time and learn more detailed instructions on HOW to do that!

Fantastic job, Betty!!! I love the black and white diagonals with the flowers and the great edging. Reminds me a bit of a nicer/better/tamer Mary Engelbreit!

Between you and rubyred's flagstone I feel so inadequate and untalented!

Spray painting a little fence and a big trellis just doesn't cut it!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ahh please don't feel that way..
A few weeks ago I had 3 grills from Dg visit (Joycet) from Cincinnatti, none had ever painted before and all made a gorgeous floormat to take home

Decatur, GA

Betty, is your 'rug' a real rug? or linoleum squares? I guess they are squares. But that is same idea I mentioned, I could see the same pattern just painted on the floor. But using tiles would be easier on the back for sure and more easily changed.
Pirl, I think you could pull it off.. you can use the painters tape to get straight lines and then don't be a perfectionist.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Big piece of linoleum, you can get it at home depot 5x8 for about $35. I seal backside then do my design and paint

Dahlonega, GA

Are you saying if it is bottom side up , it won't roll up on edges ?That would be my problem, but makes sense.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.