It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Sad Calathea, Rattlesnake Plant

Brunswick, OH(Zone 5b)

Hello. I can not get my Calathea to uncurl her leaves. It all started mid winter. Here in Ohio, we tend to have more grey days than sunny, which I thought was the reason. But come May, she's still curled. I tried repotting her in a slightly larger pot, but that hasn't changed her condition. I've also kept the soil wet, but not soggy. I have her sitting on a try of pebbles with a little water, next to a south window. Any suggestions? I was going to prune her down to the soil, but thought I'd try you guys first. Most of the leaves that are curled are not bad, which is what made me hesitant on cutting them off. Thanks for reading and for any advice.

Thumbnail by cbradbury
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

It's hard to tell from a distance but the plant may have head/dry damage. It can happen when it gets cold and your heat is high. Increase humidity as best as possible and make sure you occasionally give the plant a good dose of water so that there are no dry zones in the root zone.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

I agree with the 'it looks too dry' idea, and can suggest that these plants are native to very moist, warm, humid climates. It probably did not like the dry heating that happened through the winter.

Make sure the soil drains really well, but yes, keep it fairly moist.
The tray of damp pebbles might not be enough. Can you make a grouping of several plants?

Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

Can you show a closer pic of a single leaf? That pic is too small to see any details, at least to my eyes.

Brunswick, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you all for your replies. Here is a closer pic. Hopefully this one is better. If not, let me know and I'll try again. Since my initial post, I've been misting every day, in addition to the pebbles. I also water heavily and make sure the soil drains well. It does. Is it possible for it to come back after being too dry?

Thumbnail by cbradbury
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Yes, it is possible. It also may toast. Keep doing what you are doing. Don't overwater either. Give it several days between, if not a week. Use your finger in the soil to figure out if its still wet or dry. Personally, I'd put the whole plant in the shower with a light cool but not cold shower but the misting should do fine.

Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

This plant looks like its' roots are rotting. Keeping any plant in "wet but not soggy" peat constantly is the best way I know to kill it. I would encourage you to read the sticky at the top of the forum, "good growing practices."

After a period of time, tap water chemicals can build up as well, causing issues for even plants not notoriously sensitive although Calathea probably is, IDK. It's pretty fussy about everything.

Misting can only increase the ambient humidity slightly, while the water you misted evaporates. In an open room, the dissipation will likely nullify the effect, especially if there is any movement of the air from a fan or air conditioning.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/landscap/pp744.pdf

Do you have an east window this plant could go near? First thing in the morning, there are rays, but they are weaker and without the heat.

Brunswick, OH(Zone 5b)

The leaves are opening!!!! Yay!!! I know she still has a way to go, but I'm soooo delighted to see her beautiful leaves again. Thank you all for your replies. I learned a little patience was much needed with this plant. :)

Thumbnail by cbradbury
Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

That is absolutely beautiful. I've been trying to find one with that leaf pattern. So pretty, now that we can see those beautiful leaves!

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

I really love those, too. I have been keeping my eye out for them, but no luck locally. Maybe there's a mail order source. I'll look and check back if I find one.

Staten Island, NY

I got one from Logees about a year ago.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, I'll go check.

Middelburg, Netherlands

This is my Calathea rattlesnake it is 3 t/m 5 meters away from a winding facing south west. But now it has curly leaves. It is Potter in a elho pot with reservoir. What is wrong? Please help!

Thumbnail by erwinius Thumbnail by erwinius Thumbnail by erwinius Thumbnail by erwinius Thumbnail by erwinius
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

The curly leaves suggest either it is too dry or that it has root rot. Calatheas prefer evenly moist soil so if the rootball is not getting enough moisture, the leaves will curl. If you have been overwatering, some of the roots may have rotted and the plant is struggling.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.