It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

New to Growing Eggplants

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Actually,
I have only one cage. A friend of mine gave it to me ... and I did try it ... and it might be a good idea.
Yes, there is a different taste between eggplants. Rosa Bianca is more sweet.
The most important factor on growing and eating eggplants, is that you must harvest them when they are small and the skin is shiny.
If the skin is dull looking it is too late and the eggplant will taste bitter ... that's why a lot of people say that they don't like eggplants ... most of the time at the store they sell large eggplants to make more money ...
I never eat raw eggplant ... I dunno

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

See, I am learning every day. Harvest while skin is shiney is a good thing to remember. I have never had anything but store bought eggplant so I am truely looking forward to eating my own fresh from the garden.

Are those bamboo stakes they sell at garden centers good enough to stake eggplant? I am not sure what I should use.

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Yes, Gymgirl, the Baba Ganoush, one of our favorite dips and very easy to make! We also love sautéed eggplants. Large eggplants make great mini-pizzas as well. Slice, bake until tender, put favorite toppings on and continue baking until the cheese melts or the toppings are hot. This is a very versatile vegetable, which, by the way, I absolutely hated as a child! Now I actually get cravings for it!

This message was edited Jun 1, 2013 9:56 PM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone, check this out for some new recipe for eggplant. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/danny-boome/eggplant-lasagna-recipe/index.html

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

newyorkrita
bamboo stakes are a good support for eggplants ... but I love to run twines around the stakes to make more support for the branches.
If your season is long enough the plants will start to branch out and fruits will also develop there. More support is better.
Enjoy !

Thanks. I was thinking the tomato cages aren't going to work for me and the bamboo stakes would be much better.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

They make good container plants also, like peppers they are really perennials. I plant many of mine in containers bc they are pretty plants with pretty fruit. This also helps if you have a short season. I've grown some of the smaller Thai varieties as house plants. Pick the young, small ones to eat. I don't eat many of mine I'm funny abt food I figure if I have to add all that stuff to make it edible then it has too many calories but I grow them every year. Lol

They all taste different some are very ethnic and taste better then others but they are so cool looking!

That is good that eggplants are great in containers because mine are all in pots.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Perfect for containers.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9541068

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

That link is this thread, I think.

Oops!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

:)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Linda, the e-bucket sounds/seems like a great idea on planting veggies. My daughter has successfully planting pumpkins with those water-conserving buckets out West. Here in the SE, we're over run with rain fall this year, my main concern with container gardening is the wind. If I can plant my tall growing veggies in container that will not be knock down or blown off by the wind then I can look forward to harvesting time. ^_^

I think my eggplant maybe 'black beauty'. I just gave it a weak liquid fertilizer couple days ago. And yesterday, I planted a few 'Clemson spineless' Okra plants. I'm looking forward to plant a few more okras, got myself some peppers. May add some tomatoes.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

Hi I am planting eggplants again this year for the third time. First time in a container and I had good luck. Last year in the ground and they not only didn't do well, the squirrels destroyed them. I read that they do better in containers especially because they are susceptible to viruses? Anyways, mine are back in containers and seem to be growing. Rita, like you, the weather is not good here in Montreal. If the sun decides to come out and stay out, which apparently isn't the case, mine are in full sun. I will keep the shiny skin in mind. It's always a question of how big they are supposed to be depending on the variety.
Sharon

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

So far my eggplants in container are doing well, in this group, there are 4 plants, and currently I've more than a dozen fruits! I'll see about making lasgna soon. Whooohoooo!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Lily_love
when did you start your eggplant seeds?
which variety in the picture?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

drthor, I bought the plant from a big box store. I believe it's labeled 'Black Beauty'. It was blooming profusely when the plant was marked down 50% off. I've a couple peppers plants that I purchased at the same time. I'm growing some Asian veggies by starting from seeds at present...these will be worked into various containers as well.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love

Solace,
Anything to report on the Listada de Gandia eggplants? Mine are still thinking about it...

Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

They're still inside the house in the solo cups (vermiculite/perlite mix) and being fed hydroponics liquid fertilizer. I have to feed them half Grow Big and half Big Bloom (both by Fox Farm) - a tablespoon of each mixed with two quarts tepid water - because they're blooming. Not at the same time, lol, but they're blooming. I might invite that wasp back in to pollinate if they ever bloom at the same time. Or use q-tips.

I transplanted some out with the okra, outside, and they're hanging in there, not too pretty - the bugs already found them, but no blooms on those.

The casper were planted later but they're doing well with east light at a window. I may put them under the lamp, now, though.

I have the most house-lazy plants on earth, I think. I put a watermelon outside in the shade to harden off and it just wilted to no end, so I had to bring it back in and now it's happy. Go figure.

How are your eggplant doing?

Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

They're still inside the house in the solo cups (vermiculite/perlite mix) and being fed hydroponics liquid fertilizer. I have to feed them half Grow Big and half Big Bloom (both by Fox Farm) - a tablespoon of each mixed with two quarts tepid water - because they're blooming. Not at the same time, lol, but they're blooming. I might invite that wasp back in to pollinate if they ever bloom at the same time. Or use q-tips.

I transplanted some out with the okra, outside, and they're hanging in there, not too pretty - the bugs already found them, but no blooms on those.

The casper were planted later but they're doing well with east light at a window. I may put them under the lamp, now, though.

Those Listada de Gandia will have to have a bigger container, soon. I plan to keep them in hydro, so more of the other smaller ones will probably go outside. I have four with good sized leaves.

I have the most house-lazy plants on earth, I think. I put a watermelon outside in the shade to harden off and it just wilted to no end, so I had to bring it back in and now it's happy. Go figure.

How are your eggplant doing?

My Black Beauty has about 7-8 fruits about the size of an orange. And, the Gretels are simply loaded with long white fruits! But, I have got to put my garden on an Automatic Watering System (AWS), and SOON!!! because I look out and the plants are swooning between waterings, which is NOT a good thing!

I have TWO AWS drip kits in the original boxes, and have yet to install them. For some reason, thinking about all the installation steps just paralyzes me. But, I'm attending a drip irrigation class this weekend from a "hands on" approach, so that might give me the courage to tackle the installation. And, I'm taking along a friend with a "let's git 'er done" attitude, so I will press her into standing by my side, and we might actually have it installed right after the class!

This is a very cool spring. I am cooking in my oven in the stove right now. Honestly, to be so cool in June that I can have the oven on for hours? Unheard of! I have a thick sweatshirt on too but do have some windows open. It is raining a damp and chilly.

Anyway, by the time I planted all my tomatoes (62 plants) and peppers (14 plants) in ground I was out of room for things like eggplant and zucchini. First time for me growing both eggplant and zucchini. But I planted them in containers. I did look up growing eggplant on Y-tube and found lots of people did them in containers and said they do better in containers.

Two pictures. First my biggest of my ten eggplants. And then a picture of one of the newest ones I planted.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Bonica
Prosperosa
Ping Tung
Malaysian Red
Casper

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

These are the eggplants I harvested today.
They are just beautiful.
So far no pest damages in the new area I planted them this year.

Thumbnail by drthor

I agree, lovely !

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Linda, best of luck and have fun with AWS project, you can do it. Rita, this spring is quite unusual! A prolonged cool period is for sure. Here come those eggplants! drthor, whoa! Look at all those good looking eggplants! And the harvest for the day looks yummy. Oh you even have those yard long been as well. Great job all.

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

In spite of the lousy weather I am happy to report one of my eggplants, Neon, has flowers! Rita, I think you'll find they do very well in containers.

No flowers on any of my eggplants as yet.

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

When is the rain going to end?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Ping Tung Long
Calliope
I live in sand and heat, I threw a capful (abt 1/4cup) of tomato fertilizer around each plant and worked and watered in- last month and this month.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana

Wonderful posts!

Ya'll (other than Kitt ) haven't mentioned FEEDING your eggplants. They are HUNGRY HIPPOS as well as WATER HOGS! Use a balanced fertilizer like Triple 13, one tablespoon per square foot, sprinkled away from the roots (about 4"), and watered in.

Do NOT add straight up Nitrogen, or you'll get lush plants with little fruits.

Linda

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

We use manure tea on ours and they really respond, Linda.

My eggplants are doing really well and have flowers.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

My eggplants are not doing really well, and have no flowers. Recovering from spider mite infestation, but growing back. Sigh.

You'll have fruit, soo, Rita.

Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

My eggplants are not doing really well, and have no flowers. Recovering from spider mite infestation, but growing back. Sigh.

You'll have fruit, soon, Rita.

Don't worry, Solace,
They can bounce back!

I once hand washed mine, leaf by leaf, with soapy water and a careful hosedown to get rid of the spider mite infestation I had.

But, I got wonderful fruits after that, so "keep hope alive!"

Linda

Oh I hope so on the fruit soon. I can't wait. And my neighbor and friend want eggplant too so we are both waiting. So sorry yours are not doing well, Solace. Hope they bounce back as Gymgirl said.

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

Just checked my eggplants and I have flowers and what appears to be fruit! Last week I found a few weird looking insects in them and after spraying and picking them off, I googled the description and I think they are stink bugs. So far so good. I don't see them anymore and it looks like they haven't moved to the tomatoes, so hopefully I caught them in time. Anybody here have any experience with them? It's going to be really interesting this year. Sun is out again, but for how long, who knows. I definitely think eggplants do better in containers, at least for me. Good luck everyone. I hope everyone's hard work bears fruit, so to speak!
Sharon

Sharon,
Please describe the weird bug you found on your eggplants.

SW, AR(Zone 8a)

We enjoyed a bountiful potato crop this year, Yukon and a red potato, Detroit, I think. Feeding off chicken litter, the plants were lush. Potato bugs (Colorado potato beetle) noticed and showed. The plants were infested heavily by harvest time.

Numerous lady bugs present throughout the growing season deterred me from poisoning. It was a race to see if the crop (about 250’) would make before the CPB’s et er up. The ladies, bless their hearts, just couldn’t keep up.

Post potato harvest an army of CPB adults invaded the tomatoes (about 150’) and the eggplants (9). I had never had them in numbers too numerous to pick and pinch on either of these before. The ladies stood me up; they never showed—it’s happened before. I usually plant Black Beauty, but from some wire being crossed I ended up with what looks to be Ichibans, and potato bugs. I poisoned. The victory is mine, it appears, not Pyrrhic, I pray.

So, keep both eyes out for the CPB.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.