Treasure to Trash! Is it me, age, or design?

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Shared chores. Hubby makes the bed up after I have washed the linens. I wanted to be nice today and decided not to wait for him to do it since he is pressure washing the deck. Last year we bought a deep mattress -- pillow-top style. Extra deep sheets needed to make it up. It is comfortable - a winner (I thought.) Today trying to make up that bed --- wow! I about destroyed my wrists trying to lift the mattress and pull the corner sheet around. Worse was lifting it to pull and tuck the flat sheet tightly under. Kills the fingers too when trying to push the extra bits in. Is it just the age? I think it is the design. Nothing else has changed much with chores and difficulty ( well maybe getting back up once I squatted down is a bit of a hoot if there is nothing to lean on ( grin ).

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Get some magnesium to relax the muscles. 80% of Americans are deficient in magnesium.

It isn't muscle spasm it is the contortions required to lift that monster. I guess I could say if ANYTHING it may be strength since the quads seem to be a tad weak when it comes to rising unassisted from a deep squat -- but my beef is that the new super sized mattresses require a level of strength, flexibility, dexterity, from the wrist that wrists just aren't meant to have. I was wondering if anyone else has this issue.

This message was edited May 24, 2013 6:17 PM

Herndon, VA(Zone 6b)

I do, I broke my arm in 10 places a few years ago and I swear a child has more upper body strenght since then.
What I have done is get a long wood paddle, like a canno paddle, and use the leverage it provides to lift the mattress. :) (also great for stuffing extras under the matt.)
Looks cool hanging on the wall as well :)
I have one sized for a child.
Hope that helps.

Herndon, VA(Zone 6b)

PS dead skin cells add up, a year of not washing a pillow will add weight, nearly half the weight is dead skin cells... Ewww.

Whe was the last time you shampooed the mattress? So if it has been awhile you might consider doing it.

This message was edited May 24, 2013 9:05 PM

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Shampoo a mattress - are you kidding? That's what mattress pads are for!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lol way to go Kay...my way as well!

Cicca. G r e a t idea. I am going to do it. My husband has not said a word but
I know he can't find it easy. I wonder if a tennis racket will do - can find one easier in 2nd hand shop.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Hummmmm... I have never heard of shampooing the mattress. I do have a mattress pad and of course I do wash it!

Herndon, VA(Zone 6b)

It should work but remove the strings that are poking up or they will catch the fabric. =)
I wash both of my pads once a month, the foam one is harder to wash and then air dry but the topper on that is just fiberfill so I toss that in the wahser.
Cheers,
~C~

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

I agree with Kay also, and mattress pads arent that expensive, I have my aide vacuum my mattress once a month.
Christine

Herndon, VA(Zone 6b)

I wash the mattress once a month, dead skin cells dust mites and other icky things still find their way into the mattress proper even being under two mattress pads...
But then again I'm a little bit of a germ-a-phobic type person.
You would not believe the color of the water every year. Ewww.....
The pillows get done once a month in the machine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.