Only a few more days to enter our 19th Annual Photo Contest. Voting starts this Friday! You can submit your best images HERE

Spring 2013 and through the Seasons ( into Summer we grow!)

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Its amazing the changes we Florida gardeners have seen in our gardens since March, and actually May 1, when this thread was continued!

We are coming from, http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1310369/ and heading off into Summer. Join us and share your gardens all new and older DG members! I personally am interested in what you are growing!

David
June 6, 2013,
The first and second picture is of a new hanging basket just planted yesterday with various just rooted cuttings and such. There are about 12 different plants in it. It will be fun to see what it looks like in July! After I planted it, I took a cheap pack of Allysum seeds from Big Lots and sprinkled them all over it. We'll see what evolves... Ha!

The last pictures are rainy day shots from today.

Keep growing!

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Curious to see how FULL that basket will get.

My caladiums are out growing the pots they are in & will soon need to be split into more baskets. To think I started with just a few in 2 pots last summer. Those 2 became 5 and and I gave 2 away last summer. Now my remaing 3 are soon to be 6. I love the colors of the leaves.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I just trimmed some bad leaves off many veggie plants, and we know we will needing the 50/50 milk per gallon plus 1/2 cup baking soda and a few drops of dish detergent spray for fungus after these rains;... as soon as the Sun greets us again. Spinosad will get rid of the leaf miner you will notice starting on the leaves. ( The bush Tomato's are grabbing me as a new favorite. Last pic. )

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Pictures can be deceiving Jean. Actually the basket is 24 inches across and a foot deep;...decent growing space. I'm hoping it does get really full, and I'm sure someting will get taken over by something sooner or later. Some are perrenials I hope work into next year...

....Caladiums are royalty for me in tropical gardens!

David - thanks for the "recipe" above.. I'll get to work on that tomorrow.

Should get my Jerry Baker "cook books" out.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2013 6:36 PM

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Jean,

Should you or anyone else who might be interested in using the fungal milk spray try it;...I would feel better sharing some tips I've learned:

...I like to blend the baking soda first in warm or hot water to dissolve it completely before adding to the mix. We all know that milk ages rapidly and not only stinks but clabbers in our heat. It's best to mix this concoction in smaller batches (1 gallon or less at a time) for your pump or hand sprayers should you,... and use it all up. I like to then rinse the sprayer with clean water, and then add new clean water to spray though the lines when finished so as not to create clogs.

It is also true, that this will need to be done every 3 or so days to have any lasting effects once a problem has been noticed, especially if it is washed off daily with rain or spray. The soap helps it stick somewhat. It is also most effective sprayed on leaves both under and on top, and when they are dry and it is early Sunny.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Good Night from DeLand,

Sweet dreams!

David

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

My rain gauge shows 4". Not too bad. Now to see when that last band makes its way up here.

I will need to go out & cut some leaves off the tomatoes & zuc this AM. Hopefully having better air flow up & under the plants will help the mold/mildew issues. The only tomato looking like it has an issue is the one 6' high & wide.

The sunflower is still standing so my bamboo pole is holding for now. Now to see if the stem bent or broke yesterday. Guess I need to go & get some of those heavy duty 6' supports. A few of the taller tomatoes will soon need more than their cages. I definately need a better system for holding my tomaotes up for next season.

This gardening "thing" can definately be a full time "job"!!!!!!!

Hope no one lost much in the storm.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Went out back this morning when I saw the sun. Man..it was nothing but a tick weed jungle. Lots of work ahead.

I have to use the long bamboo stakes for my tomatoes. Takes one per stem. Im sure there is a better way, but at least this works. I have most of mine in pots, but put the stakes in the ground around it, thats why you need the long stakes.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

In 2011 I came up with a system of inexpensive landscaping timbers and 1"x2" slats screwed between them. I then strung rope down from the slats and through the Tomato cages in a zig zag pattern, and the crawling tomatoes were very successful that year. I think I would do it again,... and I will! These pic's are from 2011.

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

David - that is what I plan to do next season. Right now I have plants in 3 areas just to see where they would do the best. My goal for the Fall planting is to use my 55 gal barrels, cut into 3rds, to make my raised beds. Then put a frame around them that I can actually wrap in plastic for the winter and also build a trellis system to hold the tomaotes upright. Then let them gtow to 6' tall!!!!

This AM the only bug killer I had was a natural oils fogger for mosquitoes & flying things. Figured since it was all natural, it couldn't hurt. I think the oil caused a few of the outer leaves to wilt but the bugs moved on. when I went to buy the Spinosad I described my bugs & discovered they were adult aphids. So I sprayed the Spinosad on when I got home. have the spray bottle at the ready if I see more again.

Also got a bag of DE - for good measure. I need to remember to go on-line & find it for a better price.

A few of my hibiscus have new growth so I may get blooms before Winter gets here!!!! I've been resisting buying new ones.

Tomorrow AM I need to get out & dig up the Amarynth. Move some to other areas & put the rest in pots to share.

How much sun should my TX Stars be getting. I put 2 in the ground & they don't look as happy as the ones still in the pot (that gets more sun).

I just covered myself in bug repellant & went out to turn my compost pile. Mosquitos were everywhere. I don't have standing water but guessing the neighbors do.
Now out to get some flower gardening accomplished before it gets too HOT. Already 96% humidity. And I HAVE to mow at some time today since they are saying more rain tmrw & forward.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Texas stars are happiest with some passing relief from the Sun, Jean; from trees or something in the hot afternoon especially. Plenty of water until well established in the ground and composted soil. I hope this helps.

OK, that is what they are getting. Guess I just need for them to be "established". They are green, just not growing.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Mine have usually been blooming 6 weeks earlier than they have this year. The reds always bloom first and my whites are loaded with huge buds ready to pop, but still haven't had the first bloom. They were slow this year. I think it had to do with March cold...

Jacksonville, FL

David, is that regular screening you're using as shade cover for your tomatoes? Plants look like the enjoy the shelter.

Been meaning to tell you how much Yolie and I enjoy seeing your photos and reading your very interesting comments and tips. I tell her when I see new shots posted and she heads for the puter to check them out so here's a great big THANK YOU for being on DG. She doesn't get on DG often to look at anything so that's a compliment to you. I don't have a lot of time for yard work and this year Yolie's pretty crippled up with her knee so gardening has been difficult for us but we're gettin 'er done, bit by bit. She's been sitting on the ground, bumping her backside along the border, just to work with some of her plants and I know that's painful. I'm hoping I can get time to weed her big front beds so she won't attempt that too, she's done a lot of her work just sitting at a table out back but when she wants something done, she's not above getting down and dirty. (Huh, Jean???? LOL.) Amaranth is starting to show it's colors (Tri Color), the Peacock one is shooting on up, and the green and red tails (LLB) has tails, not sure about her elephant head grain though. Her stock and daisies are just beginning to bud, veggies are going strong. Bad knee and all, she's a happy camper.

She made two tripods out of 6' PVC pipe and set them several feet apart out back for her cukes. I put cross braces along the middle and another pipe across the top. connecting the two, and she has her cukes and several tomatoes happily growing on this contraption. Simple but effective. Now she wants a couple more for beans! Her Cushaws are taking over our back yard, those are some monster vines. I'll have to take pics later today to show you; that woman grows everything, including a worthless Sausage Tree.

Charlie

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

My texas yellow bells have been my favorite bloomer this year. It stays covered in the brightest of yellow blooms. It even looked good thru the rain.
I need to mow to, the grass is wet tho.

I need to round up BAD, the crabgrass has gone just crazy on me.

Jacksonville, FL

Jean,
On your barrels, cut 1/3 off the top of one, leaving the bottom 2/3s intact. Use it for compost tea, just put some screen over the top so the froggies and lizards won't drown.. Happened to do that (accidentally) over here with some of the zoo compost Yolie was using to make her potting soil. I took a batch of compost out back, in the barrel, enough to last several days but left it in the open. It just had to go and rain that night, filled the barrel full. Made a fantastic brew for her plants and so we just keep it going, adding a bit more compost as needed. I think she got stuck with with several of the blue barrels so I'm going to cut them down for planters too. The white ones are working out perfect with tomatoes and peppers in them.

When we run out of zoo compost we'll have plenty of rabbit poo and it that runs low, I'll raid her worm bins.

Charile - I told Yolie I'd take 2 more of the blue barrels. You are "welcome" to cut them in 1/3 for me!!!!!

I'm drenched in sweat. A bit HUMID out there. Have 8 pots, at least 4 Amarynth each, out back now. If they live a week, I'll start handing them out. Still have at least 50 more babies that will need to be dug up. SOme have the root growing under the sidewalk.

Just spread a bag of all purpose fertilizer areound all the beds. Now I smell like dead fish!!!!

More adult aphids on the tomatoes but NOT where I sprayed yesterday so I spreyed the rest of the plants just now. And I saw some babies in other spots. Die Bad Bugs!!!!!

My sunflower seems to have survived the bending ordeal. I lost the top flower but the rest of the plants looks healthy.

Need to get to Big Lots later today for some of the heavy duty tall plastic poles. Big things are needing staked,

David - my Dwarf Poincetta has buds!!!!! It's one of the guys that needs staked.

All in all, was a good morning in the garden.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Charlie,
Someone used to grow ferns behind a beautiful old Victorian home here, and when they were clearing the property the sat rolls of old shade cloth that was still usable by the street. So its old shadecloth. I'm always watching to see what others are tossing!

Its always good to hear someones gardens are doing well, and it sounds like you guys have an amazing collection...I'm looking forward to your next pic's!
I'm glad you brought the Texas Yellowbells up GG. I have a cutting that a lady brought me with a headful of flowers and all she new was it was Texas something. I just researched your plant and that is what it is. Its growing now.
Drenched is sweat I know well Jean! I just redid an old bed and rototilled in tons of mushroom compost. I moved a batch of Okras that were in the wrong place, and set a few Zucc's out that have way long been needing to go somewhere!

I was so happy to harvest our first two Lemon Cucumbers today. They are an old heirloom and the colors on them are spectacular to me. They don't get really large and are supposed to be delicious. I'll let you know I'm putting them in salad tonight.

David

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Good night everybody.
My friend Rosie in New Jersey sent me this little bit of information today, and its funny too!

From Rosie:

Manure... An interesting fact Manure : "In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas of course.. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.
Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!
Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I.

I had always thought it was a golf term."

Well,.....now we know! Ha!

David

I have the lemon cuke seeds & never got them planted. Next season!!!!

Got front & back mowed & trimmed. Sure looks like rain will start any minute now. Grass was so high I had to raise the bed where the "good" grass is.

Got some rain overnite & it sure is gloomy out there this AM.
Everything is so green!!!!

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

The lemon Cukes are a new one to me, you have the most unusual things in your garden David. Nice of you to post the photos of how you grew the tomatoes I'm determined this fall to get a nice crop. I'm wondering what kind of tomatoes do you plant and where do you get them from? In fact where do you get all your nice veggies from?

Had to move our bird feeder to a new spot since the squirrels were jumping off and breaking branches on my Crape Myrtles and Lion's ear shrubs. Last night was hilarious watching the birds flying to the old spot...like where the heck is it?? They did it over and over as if was going to appear the next time they flew there. This morning they've found the new spot and birds are happily eating again. Got a squirrel baffle so we'll see how that works.

Plant Thing, Bonnie told me to make compost tea with the manure she gifted me and boy I'm not sure if it is the rain or the compost tea but things sure have been growing like weeds this season. I also have all kinds of mushrooms just popping up everywhere.

Looking out my porch windows last night while it was raining.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Try the compost tea in your Faerie Garden Sherri! Would it not be cool to have a pic with real mushrooms popping up in there some day!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Good night!

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

David, did you see my tomato question? I'm not doing too good with the "Bonnie" plants in the box stores.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

They are a Better Bush from parks seed which are becoming a favorite of mine, and the other trailing one is an old heirloom I have been growing for years from seeds and have no clue what it is! It produces nicely here though, and I think its good to save seeds from any good producer in any zone that has worked, as they seem to program themselves to the area more and more over time.

David - I took a pic over at Plant_thangs today of the "Cushaw squash vine that is taking over northern FL". It is an an amazing specimen. I'll get it posted after my phone charges.

95 today & I melted 2X!!!!!! Overcast now wo hoping we get rain. Otherwise spriinklers will run in the AM!!!!

Thanks David, Park Seeds is who I got the Amaranthus from. I figured you were probably saving seeds from your good producers. I'm planning on starting some for the fall season. When should I start the fall seedlings?

-Sherri

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Jean,
I am ordering Cushaw Squash seeds now, thanks to you, Charlie and Yolie for bringing them to my attention! I researched them and they sound great...
I try to start fall my seedlings no later then mid August Sherri, and usually the end of July.

Thanks David. ☺

Spent a good part of today helping a friend get her yard ready for a party this weekend. Of course I forgot to take pics but we "decorated" a 12' tall tree stump (can you still call it a stump when it's that tall? It does have character) with bromilliads and birdhouses. We have future plans for it, but this was a start.
And I came home with a ton of plants she needed to move. Best payment I could have come up with. Now to get the energy to get out & get the few with bare roots in the ground.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

It sounds like you had a fun day Jean!
It will be great to see the pics of the stump, and Plant Thangs Cushaw too.
I've been poting lots of cuttings up. This humidity and afternoon rains are great for getting them started. I potted several pots of 3 colors of Turks Caps. White, Red, and pink in the same pot. They should grow into pretty and interesting bushes.

Here is the pic I took in Plant_thangs yard Mon. The Cushaw is taking over the yard.

I'm planning of taking a couple of those leaves to make some concrete bowls.

The pic would be nice..............................
Cushaw taking over the back yard.

Thumbnail by Qwilter
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm going to try growing Cushaw someday for sure!
Keeping up with the gardens here through the seasons:

Its June 15 and things are still developing well. We've harvested all the Melons and Kohlrabi that were in front and replaced that area with 24 Cardinal Basils and Ornamentals for the rest of Summer. The Cardinal Basil is actually a Thai Basil that is delicious and It makes great pesto. It is also highly ornamental with its red flowers having a Celosia effect...

Keep Growing!...

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

June 15 street views. Southern front and Eastern side exposures.

David - sure has grown up a lot since I was down there. Looks good.

I plan to get the rest of my "stuff" planted tomorrow. Then maybe I can sit back & watch it all grow for the next couple months. Of course after the back patio is put in, I'll need to work on the garden around the edge!!!!!

The grass grew so much this past week I had to mow the front 2X to get it do a normal height. Wish it would grow that well in the bare spots.

The Red Pagoda & Bottle Brush are full of blooms. A couple Rose of Sharon are full of buds. Bouganvilla is lush & green but not a single flower thus far.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

June 15 pictures of Texas Stars, Bebeschnix, and Figs...

The tiny cutting that was down to a dead looking stem last Winter made it!
It is the last picture showing the first developing flowers (those little sticks in the middle jutting off the stems) of my Hawaiian Sunset vine.

David

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.