The County Fair is now open. Add your entries Here

Help! My hands look (and feel) like a construction worker!

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

What can I do for my "gardener hands"? They are dry and chapped and stained, no matter how much washing, scrubbing, and sanding I seem to do. I've tried the moisturizer with gloves at night, and the scrubs with little bits of grit in them, and Mary Kay's Satin Hands. They are just yucky! Anybody had any good luck with anything?

Brownwood, TX(Zone 8a)

I use vaseline, then surgical gloves, then garden gloves

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Do you use gloves when you garden? I get so much ground-in dirt in my fingers..and we have cay soil, which dries things out terribly. I try to be diligent about wearing gloves if I'm doing anything more strenuous than daintily tugging at a few weeds.

I use a Gold Bond thick cream on my feet and night and usually rub a little on my hands while I'm at it, just to help offset the damage (because despite my best intentions, I find myself without gloves fairly frequently.) I keep several pairs of nitrile-dipped gloves handy, so I have few excuses for not grabbing a pair.

Washing your hands alot causes your hands to dry out to.

I work at a garden center, have a large yard of my own, and I am a quilter, all of which are hard on your hands. I do wear gloves, the rubber dipped kind. And I do use lotions, oils, etc to try to offset the dryness. But they are almost beyond dry. The skin is cracked and the cracks look stained. Yuck! I do wash my hands a good bit, but at home, I try to use a good quality hand soap with essential oils or something to make them not dry from that.

Try to rub your hands with triple antibiotic ointment at night.Dont rub a thick coat,just enough for the cracks.Then put a pair of gloves on at night.It will heal the cracks,you will have t do it for two or three days before the cracks heal.The tip of my fingers crack in the winter and thats what i do.I just put a bandaid on it though.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Happytail, I don't know how well it works, but I keep seeing a recipe for a simple homemade "gardener's scrub" that uses Dawn's "Hand Renewal" dish soap (they co-branded it with Oil-of-Olay brand) and sugar:

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/non-editible/soap-recipe/gardeners-hand-scrub.html - I haven't tried it, but I probably should.

And a few years ago, we had an article here that gave a rundown on various treatments: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1697/ - I personally liek and use the Crabtree & Evelyn's gardener's hand therapy when I can get my hands on some.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOVE that Crabtree and Evelyn!

Also at night with the gloves in winter I use Bag Balm http://www.amazon.com/Bag-Balm-Vermonts-Original-Moisturizing-Softening/dp/B001838FPA/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1372481210&sr=1-1&keywords=bag+balm

PERTH, Australia

Palmer's Cocoa Butter formula with vitamin E is the best hand lotion I've ever used. It's also inexpensive, smells delicious and isn't tested on animals.

Sydney, Australia

Make sure you wear hand gloves while working in the garden or washing dishes or clothes. The frequent washing of hands makes it dry and rough. Also try rubbing your hands with a scrub made with granulated sugar and lime juice. The sugar granules exfoliate the surface of the skin, and the acid in the lime juice whitens dark spots. You can also rub your hands with a paste made of sugar and olive oil. Rub it in for 60 seconds, rinse and pat the hands dry. Baking soda is also an effective, cheap exfoliator; make a paste with equal amounts of water and baking soda, rub it into your hands gently, then rinse. Use hands lotion to soften your skin.

canada, United States

[deleted for spam]

Ok, just a report back. The triple antibiotic ointment at night with cotton gloves worked well. I'm also going to try the "just a pinch" recipe tonight. I've been using the Palmers cocoa butter on my legs, but it doesn't seem to be enough for my hands. I do go for a pedicure once a month, because I won't take care of my feet on my own, so I just have to bite the bullet and do it. But, a manicure would be like putting lipstick on a pig. I also found a lotion that once rubbed in, it does not feel greasy or oily. And it seems to do a good job of making them feel better, and I can use it at work without getting dirt and crud sticking to it. It is a Gold Bond product, Intensive Healing Hand Cream. Not very expensive either. I'm trying to stay on top of it, especially now that the weather is getting colder and air is drier.

Hermosa Beach, CA

Hey, I'm a huge gardener and this is my first post. I also suffer from my hand skin getting all messed up. Okay, gotta go post about tulips now!

New York City, NY

[deleted by admin]

Ontario, Canada

[removed by admin]

San Bernardino, CA

use a hand moisturizer everyday

Moraga, CA

I'm getting good results with baby bath oil. If I'm damaged, aloe vera gel. If I've been dabbling in the cement bag and my hands have turned to prunes, a drop of olive oil.
If you're on something like a volcanic soil then you may find an industrial strength barrier cream before you start work will help prevent the splitting of finger tips.

I can't/won't work in gloves so it's my fingernails that vanish - especially when I'm potting up. Any suggestions for getting them to recover would be great.

Oakland Gardens, NY

Quote from happytail :
What can I do for my "gardener hands"? They are dry and chapped and stained, no matter how much washing, scrubbing, and sanding I seem to do. I've tried the moisturizer with gloves at night, and the scrubs with little bits of grit in them, and Mary Kay's Satin Hands. They are just yucky! Anybody had any good luck with anything?

Why donít you go for Manicure? i think this is the best way to get rid of the dry hands last year in summer season i was facing the sun burn to my hand because of not wearing my gloves while going outside due to which my hands were so dry & dull so I buy a Burt's Bees Aloe and Linden Flower After Sun Gel through the http://www.reecoupons.com/categories/skin-care I experience that it really works for sun burn & makes my hands smooth. In this summer I bought this gel again because of this my hands are safe.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2017 3:37 AM

This message was edited Jun 6, 2017 3:48 AM

This message was edited Jun 6, 2017 3:57 AM

Sydney, Australia

There are a few things that you could do about this.

First, avoid using harsh soaps when washing your hands. Use mild cleansers (e.g. Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day and Puracy Natural Liquid Hand Soap and avoid using hand sanitizers or any alcohol-based products because it can dry up your hands more. Also, try to avoid using hot water when washing because exposing your skin to hot water too often WILL damage your skin.

Next, according to Dermatologists, it's important that you apply a really good moisturiser immediately after drying your hands. It has to be non-greasy so you won't mind wearing it throughout the day. I would recommend Payot Douceur Des Mains because of its non-greasy and its active ingredients are Shea Butter, Glycerin, and Vitamin E. You can get it here: https://www.activeskin.com.au/brands/payot if it's not available in stores near you.

And lastly, like others mentioned, you have to be more diligent in wearing gloves. And not just when you're gardening, but also when your hands are going to have contact with dish soaps, house cleaning chemicals, and even citrus fruits.

If all else fails, a quick visit to a Dermatologist would be necessary. Hope you find this useful!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.