Flowers for full sun

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I have a flower bed that takes full sun, and idea what I should plant?
Middle of bed is Dusty Miller and it has just bloomed, never knew it would bloom

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Perennials for our zone 8 that like full blazing hot sun are 4 O'Clocks and Gazanias - also Canna and Hedychium Gingers. Use some of those for the 'anchors' and plant annuals around them.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Right off the top of my head, ice plant (a perennial) and portulaca are great in full sun and very colorful.
What look are you going for?
Barb

Holly Springs, NC(Zone 7b)

For something that will return year after year, any kind of coneflower; black-eyed susan, rudbeckia, echinacea, gaillardia. These can all be 3-4' tall and will get pretty wide over time. Plus, the songbirds absolutely love them after they go to seed, so don't cut down the dead flowers until spring!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Oh gallardia!! I love them.
Barb

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Does lisianthus grow here? I know it's difficult to start from seed. I need a full sun perennial that only gets a foot high - as a secondary edge. Always end up planting white vinca there but it would be great to have a perennial.

Entlie

Holly Springs, NC(Zone 7b)

For me, lisianthus cannot handle the full sun. Maybe a scabiosa?

(Judy) Simpsonville, SC(Zone 8a)

Also, get some dinnerplate dahlias! In zone 8 they can overwinter outdoors.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Hum I'm still unsure but may have to take a trip to wally world n lowes
I hadn't thought of corn flowers I planted a flat of salvia and it has all died.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Scabiosa might work - I think they are water hogs and I would need about 15 of them - looks like there are white ones. I am targeting no more than 12 inches high, so that fits, and this bed does get water. I went ahead and put vinca in for this year, but I'm adding scabiosa to next year's list.

I would love to have some dinner plate dahlias. A relative of mine in Calilfornia grows and shows them.

Thanks!

Entlie

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I had "Redshift" coreopsis in the hottest, sunniest (and most dry) spot in my yard and they loved it and flower like mad.
Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images