I love Rudabeckias

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This is the second year I tried to grow Rudabeckia from seed, and they are beutifull. the first one is Irish eyes, but I tought it should be green in the middle. the darker one is Cherokee sunset, it blooms for a long time. Etelka

This message was edited Jun 22, 2013 8:24 AM

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta
Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

I think those are beautiful, but I don't think that is actually Iris Eyes. Must be some mix up in the seed. I think the dark eye is prettier anyhow, but that is just me.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This is what I ordered, because I liked the green middle, but got the different one. It is still nice and tall, almost 3 feet tall. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

They are lovely.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I am a huge fan of rudbeckias as well. I really like them for the long lasting blooms. Unfortunately they aren't reliably perennial for me as I lost several last year. I think this fall I'm going to leave them all standing rather than cut them down, maybe that will help.

Luckily though, our local nursery always has them in quart sizes in the spring for $5 so they aren't expensive to replace.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

They aren't reliably hardy for me in the ground but they are hardy in pots...telling me that they drown in the garden during our wet winters. Try a pot or raise the bed up where they are planted if you want to experiment to see if you can get them to stay for you.
They also start easily from seed. I have bought from Thompson & Morgan to get nice varieties.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Do you start them from seed right in the garden or inside before spring?

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I love Rudbeckias! My favorite is Prairie Sun. I love the center ring color and the green middle.

Thumbnail by funnthsun
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm delighted to see this thread because this prompts me to post a Rudbeckia question I have. I am looking for plants that are (1) long-lived, (2) drought-tolerant, (3) not deer candy, (4) happy in infertile soil, (5) not heavy re-seeders and (6) good in a part to mostly sunny location. Goldstrum fails the last test (in my experience -- but I'd love to hear if you think otherwise). What about these other gorgeous cultivars?

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

I think I started them inside. But, I seem to remember they are easy starters, and I bet you could direct sow. If you start them inside they are more likely to bloom the first year, though.

Owosso, MI(Zone 5b)

I was told by a master gardener that Goldsturm is the most reliable cultivar. For years I had problems keeping them alive until I got Goldsturm in my MI zone 5b and now they come back every year. But I don't have deer in town so I can't attest to that one nor do they not readily multiply (they are very diligent multipliers).
So all I can say is Goldsturm is the only one I have been able to get to return reliably after every winter.
Jan

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I started out with Goldsturm a thousand years ago and have had reliably returning rudbeckias ever since, though my current plants may no longer be the original Goldsturm anymore; not sure. Regardless, I like them for midsummer bloom. Mine aren't bothered by deer, of which we have plenty. The plants pop up randomly here and there; I leave them to do their own thing. I love watching the finches pick at the seedheads in the fall.

Thumbnail by Weerobin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.