Heart of Winter Brugmansia 2013

Clifton Springs, Australia

Ooh a grub.....I haven't seen one of them....
Lots of little die back branches though.....

One of this years new cvs is putting on so many big fat buds, that I don't think it realises that it's winter.
It's gonna be sad watching these beauties fall off....because it was the Ruffles and Flourishes x Bergkonigin....big fat flowers and big fat buds..oh well.
I have to get it out of the pot in spring and into the soil, it will sulk because the roots have gone thru.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

Hi nothing happening here other then cleaning up after the frosts last week

Dose any one have GOLDEN BUTTER I have been reading that it is quite pure aurea in a thread that Alistair had mentioned
This I would like to add to my aurea collection

Sydney, Australia

Pretty sure you are talking about the Brug we call Glass House Angel Shaun, if it is the conversation I saw.Pretty sure you already have it ^_^

Have you seen the new double pink at Grandma's Garden ?
Called 'tremble' = Rubirosa x Adeline.
It's very nice ...you can see it on FB Grandma's Garden.

Lovely to see all of these pretty Brugs now becoming available ...Shaun are you going to the QLD garden expo ? do you have this one.

Dianne I think it is the borer that gets into the melons ...I googled ! eek !
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/plant_pests/veg_fruit/hgic2207.html
It had all those ridges along it's body, same colour too. Never seen it before but then I probably would not have noticed on a vine.

Good luck with those buds Jean ...I have a few but Frost is due here shortly now the rain has gone.

chrissy

Chrissy, I have been watching Gramdma's Gdn on FB as Kristen was telling me that they were putting new pics up
I have what was labeled as Pepita but looking at there pin board at last years QGS it looks more like Sahara this is what I'm working on with them in QLD.

I am not going this year as I have to much to worry about and I don't have the time but I could possibly go next year!

I o not have the new pant that they have called Tremble but it looks very pretty ant the genes are great to, you could possibly be interested in Wedding Bells a very nice double white which could be on there sales list next year it's been it rials for more then 4 years last 2 years the buds have been ripping off so they can not realise it t this time.

With Golden Butter I have noticed that the bloom looks larger then that of GHA it looks a bit like one of my other plants [Barkley st] or [yamina] but to have it I can then find out if it is by trying to cross it with others,
I'm also looking for 'Chloe' as this is also an aurea that Alistair mentioned I think it looks like my [Hull rd] pant?
He did mention 3 pure aurea's 1: Golden Butter 2: Chloe 3: unknown?

I think when Alistair was talking about these I think that 3: could possibly be GHA

THANKS

This message was edited Jul 2, 2013 8:30 PM

Sydney, Australia

I have Chloe but never have shared her because Alistair says she is a disease carrier,
It looked a bit sick when it started here but has gone on to be a big tree in my Jungle area, I have have it for quite a few years now and it seems fine to me.

I know it is Chloe because Alistair gave it to me.
All I can do is try to make some aurea to aurea crosses with her and share the seeds if you want me too. I would make her the pod parent. It blooms it's head off from what I can see of it ...it's way up high so some of it is not visible from below the canopy.
It may even have some donor pods on it, I must check.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100

Christ that's would be great if you could do crosses with Chloe
I could sent pollen from the aurea's that I have if you like! I'm not sure what aurea's you have there ?

Chloe sounds like a real trouper being so tall in the jungle

Christ = Chrissy,
Would it also be possible to get pollen from Chloe also so I can do reverse crosses so that I can then line breed this way
Thanks

Korumburra, Australia

When I was experimenting in 2009 I crossed Bucks Fizz with Red Hot Pink and the picks are best of the results
Maurice

Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice
Sydney, Australia

Really nice Maurice ...good work.

Which one do you like best ?

Is it just my puter, or is the bigger picture and text being seen by everyone, on all my sites everything has enlarged. I haven't ticked anything ...every time windows, via Google updates weird stuff happens.
Oh well ...what a lovely day, I had to take off my cardigan outside, we got up to 20C.
Grass is still wet at lunchtime ...

Allan the buds are holding on the double white, fingers crossed ! ^_^

The Culebra is growing like mad, I believe it enjoys cooler conditions !

Finding the odd pod here and there ...nothing like last year only a small quantity.

Another warm morning tomorrow ...winds to arrive by lunchtime to cool the temps back down ready for frosty days ahead.

chrissy

Maurice those blooms are very stunning and the parents are good Australian plants.

Chrissy, Culebra, dose love the cold it weathered the -5oC better then other seedlings and CV's and it keeps moving on my buddy
I'm glade that the plant of Culebra is doing well for every one PIC's please

Absolutely nothing happening

Sydney, Australia

Happy Birthday Allan,

♫ ♪♥ (,) ♫♪♥
.....~.| |~ ♪ ♫ HAPPY ♫ ♪
.....{░♥░}
...{░♥░♥░} ♫ BIRTHDAY ♪ ♫
.{░♥░♥░♥░}
いいいいい/ ♫ ♪ ♥ ♪ ♫

I hope you have a Wonderful Day.

chrissy

Sydney, Australia

Sorry that birthday cake is a bit skewed ...it's my grand daughters birthday too, she turns 25 today,
born on the 4th of July. Where did those years fly ?

It's not quite the 4th of July in the USA yet but !
Sending our very best wishes from Australia to our friends across the pond !

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100

Hi Chrissy,i hope you had a blast for your 4th..Love all the pics...Take Care!!

Cody

Sydney, Australia

Hi Cody as we are Australian, we don't Celebrate the 4th of July, that is America's Day, we are very happy for our mates in the USA,

Our day is called Australia Day ...similar to your day over the pond.

It is a personal celebration in my life due to my granddaughter's Birthday being the 4th of July. Also it's one of our own's birthday here in the Brug thread, our Allan, who has been so kind and generous with his his seeds and cuttings, we celebrate his Birthday too !

Have fun Cody on your special day !

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100

Hi Chrissy,yeah i know that.I was talking about the birthday of your GD.I hope you had a blast with it...Sorry i didn't mean to confuse you....Thanks Chrissy i will!!!!

Happy Birthday to both!!!!!

Cody

This message was edited Jul 4, 2013 12:30 AM

Korumburra, Australia

Chrissy, I like the one in the pot the best because it has the most intense colour. I have taken as much wood as it could spare to create clones. I "lost ""my original Red Hot Pink, and was considering getting another and hope it was the same as the parent. In March I had clean up of plants at the block and when I was unloading them this plant with a flower the image of the one in the pot was fully on display. Fortunately, it was still attached to the wilting plant, and lo and behold, the label that i put in the holes before I plant them was there between the roots. Have taken about 5 cuttings from this one too.
I will do some more pics later

Cheers

Maurice

Sydney, Australia

We have Frost ...light but it's here. Oh well what can you do ?
At the end of the day, no matter what you do, the weather is the boss.

At least it kills some of the munchers and sweetens some of the fruit and veg.
Happy Monday everyone stay warm ...if you can.

chrissy

Merino, Australia

No frost here Chrissy, but a very cold 2C this morning.
My brugs are starting to show the typical yellowing winter leaves.
Still flowering htough.
I am very pleased with the wat Tantra has bloomed after a very slow start. Lovely large flowers still coming.
DP'n'G has grown now to about 5 ' and is also still flowering .
Of course GHA is full of flowers and I love walking around there to smell the perfume.
Pods are growing and I am very hopeful they will stay on. I took a lot of the noid pods off .
No good having too many .

I still have some buds coming on Lipstick which has never flowered for me yet.
Even the cutting I took from it has a couple of buds.
Ivoire has a large bud after spending time trying to get as tall as GHA.

I am still waiting on the coldies to open but they are looking good.
A few buds on the sangs too.

The Iochromas dont mind the cold and are full of blooms.
I am going to have to cut the purple one down again this year. It loves to grow.
I cannot imagine how big it would be if I wasnt cutting it back every year.
The red is slower thank goodness.

I am thinking of trying a few cuttings from the Iochromas later in the year.
I think they would make a great hedge.
I could move the other neglected ones and take a bit more care of them altogether.

Lovely flowers , Maurice.

Jean.

That all sounds good Jean, especially the coldies..I asked on BGI if the coldie buds took longer to open than the warm ones, seeing that over there they all flower at the same time......
but there didn't seem to be a noticable difference, so it must be our cold weather that makes them so slow...
I thought that was the case but just wanted to ckeck with our BGI buddies....I've had warm buds open and die off in the time that it's taken my coldie to flower....

But it is still growing, so hopefully we will get a result....I'm seeing buds on the giant ones too, the Strybing vulsa x sang......so they will be looked forward to.
They were planted on the 25/07/11.....so basically the same time as the warmies.
Dianne.

Jean, it sounds great up your way no frost dam, I have had a number of frosts and almost all of my plants are bare of leaves I have a few plants in snuggs that have still got leaves and a bloom or 2 like Iced Lemon and maya but that's about it!
Dianne I have also a few plants with buds on them (Cold Group) that have been sitting here for like ever

I'm sorry to hear hat light frost has hit you Chrissy but the boss dose talk

Sydney, Australia

I don't have experience with cold group buds but I am pretty sure they move slower in the cold just like our warm group buds.Sunshine may make the difference with them though.

Good luck with them, I hope I am wrong since we are all hanging out for our brug pics ^_^
We have lots of frosts coming up here so, that is probably it for me until the warm temps return.
Good luck with those coldies, we all await with anticipation.

chrissy

This message was edited Jul 8, 2013 7:08 PM

Merino, Australia

Well today will be the testing ground for all my coldies and the others.
I have had the warmies go through a bad frost a few years ago when I lost a couple and had to cut some back due to bad frost burn.
This morning it is now -4C and dropping still.
It was about -2C at 6.30am and has slowly gone down.
There is ice on all the bird baths and its hard to see in the fog, but there will be a frost out there.

I expect a rapid drop of leaves now and maybe all the remaining buds. We'll see how things go .
It is expected to get warmer over the next few days . Around 14C- 16C.
A heat wave....lol
Jean.

Sydney, Australia

Eek, we had a -5C a few days back, better today, but worse to come. It was short lived, but it happened and some damage was done.

Good luck Jean and everyone. Almost mid Winter, so that is to be expected I guess. Stuff in the shade is ok because the frost melts before the Sun hits it. Not so good in the fully exposed places.
Stay warm !

chrissy

Jean, what a bummer...that is very cold...
I was thinking of putting the coldies under shelter but even Alan's small ones have put their roots into the ground....so they have to tough it out.....
If the coldies drop their buds because of the cold then they won't be of much use to us....unless they pick up in spring, who knows, it's all an experiment.

I'm looking forward now to our warm ones flowering again....lots of aurea types to flower next year...

Good luck everyone.
Dianne.

Korumburra, Australia

These pics are of plants from the cross of Bucks Fizz and Aurea. Once again it was only a practice pollination. Of all the crosses I have done these were the most uniform. The colour is deeper than that of either parent. They grow to and umbrella form of standard, but then eventuallu bush out. They are almost as large as S1, at least 3 metres when not disturbed for two years.

Maurice

Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice
Korumburra, Australia

PS
S1 in background of fourth pic. The plant is two foot higher than that now.

M

Sydney, Australia

They are really very nice Maurice ...I bet they smell lovely too ! Very bright, happy blooms.

So nice to see some Brug pics right now ^_^

chrissy

Maurice they are very attractive blooms with beautiful long petal tips
Nice to see you adding a few posts here
By the way. The seed you sowed in late June will be a bit s
Owner as he weather is colder and the seed do need some heat to germinate

Merino, Australia

Very nice blooms Maurice.
You are doing well with Bucks Fizz.
I dont like the darn plant as it will not do a thing here for me.
It hates the cold and isnt pleased with the heat either.
It is the first to get spider mites and I usually end up cutting it back to get rid of them.
I think it will go in the bin this year.
I have a pod on one of your Frosty Pink x aurea plants.
I dont know who the pollen came from but from where it is I would say probably Clementine.

Shaun did you get frost again down there ?
We were down to 2C this morning which was enough to really attack the leaves after yesterdays extra low temp.

Even the red Iochroma is looking very sad. Oddly enough, the taller purple is unaffected.
I suspect its because it has older growth, where the red has all new growth.

My brugs that have no shelter are all looking very sad & limp. I expect them to drop everything over the next week.

Dianne, even the coldies are looking a tad affected.
I dont blame them as it was very cold even for here.
They are not as bad as the warmies though.
We will just have to wait and see how they all come through the cold .

My Ludger babies in the greenhouse are totally unaware of the cold outside even though the door zip is broken now and the cold can get in a bit.

Come on Spring / Summer.
I am getting too old for all this cold .

Jean.

Korumburra, Australia

Jean

My Bucks Fizz has flowers on it even now, though they have no colour due to the temp. If you like I will strike some cuttings for you from mine,

Maurice

ps It is about the only thing that has not had cuttings from it. I am trying out all Alastair's propagating systems, because I had some disasters last year from spring on wards.
Maurice

Korumburra, Australia

Jean

I will propagate some or all of those seeds, as I am trying to get pink or yellow version. I have a Gold Lion S1 cross, but the flowers were hanging rather than nodding and did not seem as large. but were a very good colour. I am going to cross it back to S1 this spring, It had a lot of flowers but did not think in time to collect any pollen,

Maurice

Merino, Australia

Thanks for the offer Maurice, but I wont try any more of Bucks Fizz.
i have had most of my brugs now for a few years and can see which like it here and which are liked by the spider mites.
I will toss those that are consistently not performing and keep those that are better.
Anything with aurea in it likes it here .
Topsy, Tantra and Clementine are looking very good.
Some of the larger 2-3 year old seedlings are also doing well.

There will be more going into the ground this year and that gives me more room for the upcoming seedlings.

Keep up the good work on your plants, Maurice.
We are certainly getting a nice crop of Aussie brugs now.

Jean.

Sydney, Australia

What a shame you don't have any luck with Bucks Fizz Jean, I think it may have something to do with dry weather as well as colder Winters.

I guess we all like to push the envelope ...the warm group Brugs are tropical after all.
Guess you will grow what most of us can't (coldies).

Good luck with your crosses Maurice, it is a great hobby if you have the time and the room.
So very exciting to make a seed then grow it out !

Off to work for me this morning ...brrr
Have a lovely day everyone ^_^

chrissy

Good morning on this overcast, cold morning....
The bud on the coldie has started to poke out it's tiny tips at last....
Also another bud, but a warm one is doing the same only a couple of days before the cold one.
So It will be interesting to see the difference in the flowering time if they both make it...
The 1st one is the H.Bryony x (sang x amethyst 5) x (sang x amethyst 4) 2
2nd one is Ruffles & Flourishes x Bergkonigin...this plant doesn't mind the cold at all so far...it's tall, in the open and the leaves haven't changed colour and the buds are all growing...
The other pic is of the one that is growing in the cucumber pot.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger
Merino, Australia

Only one word from here.... actually 2 words...bloody cold..

I have just come in from a check of all the brugs after the very cold day of -4C then the next day of around 0C to 2C. During the day it never went over 12C.

Not a good time for brugs .

I can see all the leaves that are cold affected now, as they die.
Even a lot of buds have gone toes up. The coldies were affected too.
Not so much , but you can see that the top leaves and buds are going to fall off.
Looks like they dont mind normal cold but dont like being frozen

Having even a small bit of shadecloth helped some , so all the favored ones will get a shadecloth roof for next Winter.

Still. thats the way of gardening. You win some , you lose some.

Jean.

Korumburra, Australia

In previous years I have dug up the seedlings and put them in pots and kept them in shelter over winter instead of expecting them to continue growing outside. While I was on light duties I decided to try and leave the seedlings in the ground and protect them from frosts. To this stage the results are very promising, the plants are over a metre high, with massive leaves and main stems, and one of them had 12 large flowers, being and Aurea X Dwarf Pink n Green cross. I have photos of the flowers, but they might be in mobile, as I cant find them in the computer.

Will post them when I find them

Maurice

Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice
Korumburra, Australia

Here are the blossoms,

Maurice

Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice

Wow Maurice that plant looks like it could have been found in the wild, those massive leaves are a beautiful deep green in color
The calyx looks like its about 8" long and the bloom is probably another 2-3" byt this is also a cross that I have done and waiting for blooms also

Congrat

Sydney, Australia

Dianne Ruffles & Flourishes x Bergkonigin looks like it is building up a nice flush there for you, Hope it shrugs off the cold (who knows it may even love it). Can't wait to see it bloom in Winter, that's really something.

Maurice those blooms put me in mind of Sugar Pink ...wonderful !
Another cold morning ...Friday ! whoo hoo !

Enjoy ^_^

chrissy

Hi to all!!!
I hope all of you are doing well and staying warm.Love the plants!!!Take care!!

Cody

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images