Drt clean or hand wash silk blouse?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

My blouse reads 'dry clean' but I have read that dry cleaning is tough on silk and cold water wash w/ very mild soap works.

Your advice?

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Nobody has answered so I will tell you what I believe to be true. Some silk is washable and will say it. But I would not assume all silk is. Would follow directions on care label.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Since posting this I have read if the label reads "dry clean" you maybe able to hand wash. However, it it reads
"dry clean only" dry clean only!!! My blouse reads "dry clean only".
I typically wear this blouse only a few hrs @ a time so I can get plenty of wear out of it before cleaning.

Thank you.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Correct, if it reads "dry clean only" that is your only option....but they do have those dry clean bags....I used to use them all the time for my work clothes, worked great!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

dryel.....best invention ever! i never take a thing to the cleaners anymore.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

re: dyi dry clean bags REALLY?
I will investigate. I am aware of this but never considered.

thank you

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

there are different brands. i use Dryel....any supermarket carries it. you buy the bag with the packets the first time and then just the packets. the box with the bag is more expensive obviously but you can do more than one item in the bag at one time. i just save up my dry clean only items until i have enough of similar colored items.
most clothing marked dry clean only CAN be hand washed but things like wool and sometimes silk are better done in the dryer with the Dryel.
over the years i know i have saved a small fortune.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.