What's for dinner? (Part 45)

Columbus, OH

Will Open Office help? www.openoffice.org

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Someone else recommended OpenOffice. I just downloaded it but it won't open... says the file format is not recognized.

Glorioski! I downloaded it again, and this time got it installed. Thanks.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Oh, good! I think that's the freeware I had in mind but I couldn't remember the name.

somewhere, PA

Hello

Tonight I selected beef goulash with spaetzle and red cabbage (here in northern Italy). I am so curious to see how it is. We had a wine tasting last night. All local grapes plus a cheese tasting with the reds. Was very good!

Tam

Fun to hear about your adventures, Tammy. Let us know how the beef goulash was!

somewhere, PA

The goulash was very tender beef in some sort of sauce. Maybe like sauerbraten?

Was good and nothing like what I call goulash, which is what mom called it. Dessert was the high point. It was "hot love". Hot raspberries with vanilla ice cream.

I thought goulash and spätzle were Hungarian dishes, not your typical northern Italian dishes. I like spätzle but haven't had it in a long time. The goulash I've had has been indifferent so I can't say I'm a fan.

Like most foods, I guess it has to be prepared right...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

What's for dinner, and software help, LOL

Kinda thinking Italians don't make any bad wine- or if they do thats what they unload on us.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

When I was in Italy we stayed in a small hotel and had the best food ever! My room must have been just over the kitchen so I could hear the loud discussions early in the morning. Also had the best champagne I ever tasted on a bus tour in Rome! The only thing I didn't care for was the lunch they packed for us (We took a bus tour every day courtesy of the Cosmo Travel Agency who booked our entire trip) They made sandswiches for us and the lunch meat all looked like head cheese. What fun, Tammy, I'm so glad you went.

Columbus, OH

Fourth of July menu: Whatever we eat at a restaurant. I've had a rough week at work, I'm tired and I'm not cooking!

I bought a bag of real wood charcoal in anticipation of using the grille today, but it's not likely with all the rain. I intended to buy some shrimp to grill but around here no one carries really big shrimp like 10-15 per pound.

I seldom use the grille to cook something for just me, as it takes a goodly amount of real charcoal for enough coals. I won't use briquettes or starter fluid because of all the chemicals; a charcoal chimney works fine to get the coals going.

We are not particularly skilled at grilling. I had a pork shoulder in the freezer so that was in the slow cooker all night. Corn on the cob. Due to braces and a jaw surgery, this is the first summer in about ten years that all my kids can eat corn on the cob.

Sally, I am not skilled at all; that's part of why I don't do it much. My oldest brother is an excellent griller, even does oysters on it.

I use the grill mostly in the fall to generate fruitwood cold smoke (through a long metal tube to a cardboard box) for homemade sausage, ham hocks, cheese, and whatever else suits my fancy at the moment.

your own cold smoke- pretty cool (ha, sorry!)

somewhere, PA

One of our group brought American flags for the table today. I am in South Tirolia which was part of Austrai so there is a. Huge influence there on the menu. Tonight it's porcini pasta for the pasta course and wienersnitzel for the main (forgive my spelling)

We are at a wonderful little family owned hotel selected for the dining as mug as anything.

Definitely earned a good dinner! We hiked high in the mountains to see etritchium nana, which is endemic to the area and a spectacular little bun with blue flowers in peak bloom now.

Happy 4th everyone!
Tam

what a memorable trip you're having!

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Boston Baked Beans in the crock pot, macaroni salad, and potato salad from DD#1, DD#2 bringing buns, DGS bringing pulled pork, and I have about 30 drum sticks thawed to oven fry. Making BBQ sauce for those who want to dunk them DIL is bringing ice cream and cones. ExDGDIL is bringing unknown munchies. We never run short of food.

Yum to the yum!

Pulled pork, mac salad made. both darn good if I may say so.

Darius, I agree, even for a family, grilling just seems like such a huge amount of heat expense for some burgers. My irrational perception anyway.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I didn't pay almost a grand for a high end range to stand outside in the heat and the wind to cook. Nope.

Perfidious, I should have made a pot of baked beans!

Tam, your trip sounds more delicious every day!

I shopped at 2 of my fav stores way up the highway today. Picked up some goodies for our trip to SC next week: Italian Castelvetrano olives (one of my two favorite olives), a hunk of Humbolt Fog cheese, and a delightful cracker I've recently discovered. It's labeled as a "torta" from Spain, hand-made with just EVOO, wheat flour and salt. I got a package of the sweet (NOT the cinnamon) and a pack of savory (rosemary and thyme). Both are good with cheese and Susan and I will pick up some cheese at Whole Foods in Winston-Salem when we meet up on Monday afternoon.
http://www.inesrosalesusa.com/Pages/default.aspx

At the other store (World Market) I just got some very fresh ginger, green plantains, and Guava paste. Guava paste is difficult to find around here, apparently it's not a Mexican food item. I wanted more fresh veggie stuff but since I'll be away for a few days, half would just go to waste.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2013 2:31 PM

What fun to be able to stock up on good items, Darius!

We are having the usual hot dogs and hamburgers with baked beans and salad, but then my DS decided to bring ready-to-eat shrimp and crab claws, as well as six softshell crabs that need cooking. I told him if he wanted to bring them he was in charge of their preparation; I have enough to do! Not that I don't like softshells, but it makes it hectic in the kitchen when I have to juggle too many plates in the air at once!

Columbus, OH

Darius, I can find guava paste at PR stores or Asian stores here. I am deep in a homemade cracker/crispy flatbread phase.

Recently addicted to pita chips here.
Wow, our dinner was delicious. Next stop blueberry pie, our own berries, first year I have enough to make SEVERAL ,pies if I chose to. Good thing because poor sweet DD (19 yr old) dropped the first one as she got it out of the oven...

Aww, Sally... what a loss!

My blueberries are meager this year but I will have some in a few weeks.

I guess my better attention to the blueberries for the last couple years, and this springs ample rain, have given me surprisingly better results, But I can't explain why the birds haven't wiped them out like they usually do.

Do you, and or how do you, use bacon grease or chicken fat for cooking ? I can save both but then don't really know when using them would work, and not taste oddly bacony or chicken y.

I use bacon fat when I have it to sauté things like green beans or spinach/kale/chard type things. It's also great with scrambled or fried eggs.

I do save chicken fat although I don't think I have any right now. My favorite is duck fat, though. It's wonderful for potatoes.

Thanks, bacon fat does make awesome fried potatoes.
Do you just refrigerate the bacon fat in a container? Does it stay 'good' forever?

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Also great for making fried potatos or hash browns, with some diced onion added.

Oops someone already said that while I was typing.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2013 9:50 AM

great minds etc ...meezers!

Sally, the birds haven't wiped out my Nanking cherries like they usually do, either. As a rule the cherries are almost ready one day and then stripped clean the next day, before I can pick any. It makes me nervous this year about the bird population.

I save bacon fat (from bacon I cure myself) and use it for almost anything except pastry. For that, I use lard I have rendered that's not flavored like the bacon is. I'd like to save chicken fat (schmaltz, which is either chicken or goose fat) but the chickens I get from a local organic farmer are young and have very little fat.

I'm throwing all my loose change in a big jar, hoping to have enough to buy a gallon of duck fat by Christmas. Or maybe goose fat.

somewhere, PA

The owner of the hotel put out "American" items in honor of the holiday. We found buffalo wings and meatballs with the antipasti a d watermelon and something like brownies with the dessert. They were all quite pleased with themselves, which made it all better than in really was

Tam

Sallyg, I usually don't bother to refrigerate bacon fat. It gets used up pretty quickly. If it hangs around for several days I do put it in the fridge, though.

Missouri City, TX

Well, today is the day.

Doing a crawfish boil, but using Maine lobsters instead of crawfish. Expecting about 40 guests at Son's place. But we will have enough to feed more.

Bubba, sounds like a swell party menu. (but you didn't invite me!!)

Columbus, OH

I am making pizza with whole wheat crust with herbs, topped with sliced fresh tomato, goat cheese and basil. Probably a green salad, too.

Between you and Leslie, I may need to learn to make pizza. I have the goat cheese, salads and herbs mostly down pat.

Man, what I'd give for a good fresh tomato!

Ours locally won't be ready for another month, and mine this year may never be ready. I'm hoping to find some good heirloom tomatoes on the trip to SC next week since their season is earlier than here.

Where's our traveler?

somewhere, PA

You mean me? I am digesting my last dinner in Italy. Stuffed corgettes and tiramisu for dessert

Tomorrow we drive back to Zurich but will stop at this fabulous roadside place that we used on our way here. Best panacotte ever! Beats the Howard Johnson stops of my youth!

I fly home Mon. Sigh

Tam

Wonderful memories that will last for a lifetime.

We are making Shirley Corriher's Improved Tunnel of Fudge Cake. The batter I licked from the bowl is the most delicious awesome fabulous thing I have ever eaten.

Tam, I agree... building memories that last a long time!

The only things I remember from our Howard Johnson stops when traveling as a kid are fried clams and pistachio ice cream. I doubt I'd like either today. Even the fried clams I had along the seashore in Maine a few years back were like rubber bands.

Sally was this the recipe you used? Sounds tasty...
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/28/science/28rbake1.html?_r=0

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.