The Annual Photo Contest is open. Enter your best images Here

What's for dinner? (Part 45)

Columbus, OH

What is the texture of the fudge inside? I like moist, rich cake, but dislike goopy wet dough texture.

I am cooking corned beef for dinner tomorrow and I loathe plain boiled potatoes. Will a gallette with parsley and green onions go okay with corned beef? I am going to do a raw cabbage slaw instead of boiled cabbage, too. Totally untraditional.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

The Galette sounds great, as does cabbage slaw. Who says we have to be totally traditional (generally).

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Yes Darius that is the recipe- the only adaptation I see being that it calls for 5/8 of tsp salt instead of mine 1/4 tsp. Who ever heard of using 5/8 tsp of anything? I got it out of her Bakewise book.

We may have overbaked it. THe inside was very moist but short of the melted center Shirley described. Still quite yummy. And it refused to release from the pan. So its kind of chunky too.
8 ^P

Celene you might love the chocolate cake made with box of devils food, box of choc pudding mix, some sour cream maybe... my sister and I made one circa 1975 and its very yummy. Your menu sounds like a great improvement on boiled potatos and cabbage.

Columbus, OH

I have a really easy chocolate cake recipe that I like, it's from the King Arthur website, I was curious about this cake texture, I've seen the recipe. The KA recipe is my husband's favorite birthday cake, frosted with seven minute frosting.

I'm baking through recipes in Scientifically Sweet right now. Some of them are great.

I'm off for 2-3 days to get fresh peaches in SC, and hopefully some good heirloom tomatoes. Eat well while I'm gone!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Safe trip!

I ran out of Penzey's sweet curry powder, and bought red curry paste at the store . Turns out they don't substitute- the paste is Thai, but everybody liked it.

Columbus, OH

Dog ate the gallette, stole it right off the counter top. The second one looked nicer, anyhow.

Too funny!

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Oh no! Bad dog!

Once we were visiting friends and brought along our labradoodle, who was still a pup at the time. We were standing by their kitchen counter talking and all of a sudden we noticed that right under our noses she had somehow gotten the entire piece of smoked salmon, which had been out on a plate on the counter with some crackers and cheese, onto the floor and was starting to eat it! We picked it up, brushed it off, and finished it ourselves. She wasn't very welcome there after that!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We are home after being away most of the past two months. Of course the master bath toilet leaked all over the floor with the first flush so that set the schedule for the day. I discovered much of the Reidel crystal barware, olive wood spreaders and hand painted dishes in the dishwasher. I left a note not to touch my knives and set out a few substitutes but forgot about the rest of the kitchen. Better instructions on my part next time since I don't share my kitchen well at all.

We came north to south this trip and stopped to check in at Maypop, then on to the city. I picked beans and herbs for dinner tonight. We ran around re-stocking the house today. Will be making pan fried talapia crusted with panko and parmesan, grilled asparagus and an antipasti salad.

Thank you for the birthday wishes, Darius.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Welcome back, Laurel. I know it's not much consolation, but at least the toilet didn't leak the whole time you were gone, right?

If I can squeeze in a quick store run, tonight is grilled shrimp and salmon, with a side of zucchini-corn pancakes and fresh melon. Then I need to get busy grating and baking the rest of the zucchini that ballooned up with last week's rain. Eek. I have multiple bread and cake recipes ready to try and a couple family members who can take them to work and share the love and calories.

I think I'm also going to experiment with zucchini parmesan this week. Just like eggplant parm, but with zucchini slices instead. Fingers crossed.

somewhere, PA

I'm home too! I need to make it out to the garden but am running out of steam
fast.

Tam

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

Welcome home, Laurel and Tammy.
Tonight is sliced pork roast, mashed potatoes and gravy (crockpot time), and this morning's picking of green beans. Planted a new variety "Jade" they seem to be prolific and a long, narrow bean. Will know more later, first planting was a big failure (rabbits??) so we are just starting to get a decent picking. Don't know about the rest of the garden, such a funny hot/cold planting season, lots of basil, but tomatoes are setting on slowly, but not looking like we'll be doing much canning, okra plants are finally coming on strong since summer temps have arrived in Kansas, a couple of eggplant starting to look promising, replant of beets showing up, all in all a strange year.Even our Farmer's Market has been puny, so I know it is not just us.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I am crushed...a lobster boil???!!

Dahlonega, GA

Got this blasted laptop up and running AGAIN . Getting tired of it not connecting to the net and not having time to get hold of tech help to straighten it out

Thanks for the welcome home. Good point about the toilet not leaking the entire absence, Terry. It was enough that we returned from the Miami trip and were out of power for four days then the next thing we know we were off to D.C..

We have a new family member. He joined us June 27th, three days before my birthday. We were there for the whole journey and I was able to care for her as she labored mostly at home. We are smitten and missing them. They are planning to join us in about a week for an extended maternity/paternity stay. Talking about relocating here next year. From my keyboard taps to heaven.

Sallyg, I have become very familiar with Naval Bagels in your 'hood.

Eden's, our garden is on a wonky schedule too. We were picking cherry tomatoes the third week in June last year. Not even turners yet. BTW, the name was supposed to be Eden if DB (would that be right for dear baby?) had been a girl. Hope this boy loves veggie gardening and cooking. :)

We are having a garden veggie dinner. Salad with thinned beet greens and parsley topped with eggs, pickled beets and feta. SO is grilling corn topped Solo cup freezer pesto to which I'll add a knob of butter, zucchini fritters with remoulade and more grilled asparagus.

Maybe it's your router, Sally, and not the computer? They can be pretty short lived especially if you leave them on. I'm no computer expert but it seems the guy in charge of tech here is replacing routers all the time. He always leaves them on. Guess he needs (just one more reason) to have a fit. Keeps him seemingly mellow when allowed out in public.

Missouri City, TX

Yes, GG, there was a lobster boil. 42 live Maine lobsters were delivered Saturday morning.

Started the boil about 8PM, but it took over an hour to heat 80+ gallons to a boil - cooked them all - so feasting began about 10:30. We had lots of veggies in the pot, too - potatoes, corn, mushrooms, artichokes, radishes, carrots, and asparagus.

Many of the guests were already full - some of my fried catfish & fries - some smoked chicken - toothpick kabobs of pepperjack/salami/thin cut steak/sausage - and of course beverages - soft and adult. DGD had made her famous cookies, some guests supplied gumbo, beans & rice, spaghetti sauce, brownies, chips, fruit cups, etc.

Went back Sunday after 12:00 to assist with the cleanup - DS was cracking and cleaning the remaining lobster. Said the last group quit at 4AM.

somewhere, PA

Congratulations Laurel! Woo Hoo

Despite my hopes that the day long hikes would compensate for the delicious foods of Italy, I found that I have put on a few pounds. So I'm back to lean eating. Made up a pseudo stir-fry with mushrooms, onion, red pepper, garden squash & chicken with a little pesto from the freezer/last year served over a little barley. Was quite good.

Tam

Columbus, OH

DH is having corned beef hash and a salad. I am having soup, the beginning of the end of my braces.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Tam, welcome back! And Laurel - I can only imagine your state of bliss. Congrats to the grands and very best wishes to the new parents.

Bubba...I would have happily devoured a few pounds of said lobster. Yum.

Well, I've decided that zucchini sliced, salted, breaded, sauteed , dressed with sauce and mozzarella can make a pretty decent substitute for eggplant.

Tomorrow is looking like a crockpot day: pulled beef on rolls with some type of salad on the side.

Missouri City, TX

Made a lobster salad for lunch and a bisque for supper - so much for the 2# I brought home.

Used some of the sausage (previous night) in a spaghetti sauce.

Still have a package of skewered veggies to cook tonight - open to suggestions.

Have 5 lbs. of Maine lobster delivered to MY door, LOL!

Then, we can discuss possibilities for the veggies....

somewhere, PA

LOL GG.

We're gonna have omelets for dinner tonight I think. I have a big pot of chicken noodle soup in the works for my Dad. Its one of last year's roosters. The stock is cooked & ready to skim (off the fat) and the carcass is picked over and so its just the veggies & noodles and then assembly.

Heaven is a fully functional (and beautiful & new) kitchen!

Tam

Yay, Tammy!

Dahlonega, GA

Tickled for you Tammy .
Wish someone would throw a feast like that my way ,Bubba .
Laurel , got a new router the last time before . It was out about 10 days that time . This last time ,(about two weeks later ) ,I just turned it on and it sat there with it's tongue stuck out at me .I have a security pkg. that I call them and they either fix it or send a tech out to do it . Best monthly fee I ever spent.
G G , I want to go out with Wanda's friend in the swamp and get an alligator for the freezer .And sight see . Missed her this last weekend .

Sally,
She told me about that guy!!! LOL, I don't think Wanda will get out of the truck!

Ya'll can have the alligator!

She told me she was heading your way. Don't know what happened to her. I'll call her on the way in this evening.

Linda

Dahlonega, GA

She got tied up with needing new tires for the trip and couldn't get them that day .
OT , sorry

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Chicken enchilada stuffed into zucchini boats and refrained beans! Recipe on Skinnytaste.com

somewhere, PA

I added summer squash to the veggie mix for our omelets and they turned out delicious!
The little bantum hens are laying now - such tiny eggs.

Tam

Missouri City, TX

Digger, When you said router, I thought you were getting into woodworking, too - LOL.

GG - all of the lobster is gone. But since we now know a great supplier we will be doing it again - just do not have a schedule yet. The packaging was great - each lobster was in its own cardboard cubby-hole, iced down and then the "blue-ice" packets on top. The intermediate container was a foam insulated box, inside a heavy duty cardboard box.

Shipping was almost as much as the lobster themselves.

Oven roasted the veggies with some TX olive oil, and made some cheddar stuffed, bacon wrapped jalapeno halves to go with them. Opened a bottle of wine and had a great meal.

Columbus, OH

Making grilled vegetables for quesadillas, and some pinto beans and chopped salad.

somewhere, PA

We had left overs but I was able to make a huge pot of chicken noodle soup with a ton of veggies, mushrooms and barley (gotta pack in a lot of nutrition) for my dad & step mother. Did I mention how much I am enjoying cooking again? lol

Tam

Columbus, OH

Do you love your new kitchen?

somewhere, PA

Absolutely! I have not found a few items (can't figure out where that last box is!) & often open 3 drawers to find what I'm looking for but its wonderful!

Tam

Columbus, OH

I went though that for a minute, lol. Now I love it!

somewhere, PA

I'd rather open a few extra drawers to find something than to unpile a ton of stuff to get the one item I'm looking for any day! I have a lot of drawers and I'm getting more used to where stuff is... but I really haven't had a lot of time in the new kitchen yet. And still have a box or two of stuff to unpack (mostly the pretties you set out for display or use 1-2x a year). I also need to buy a new dining room table as we decided to use the old one in a breakfast area (really more to play cards or games near the new beverage area.) I'm going to get it at a place that makes fabulous tables from old wood - they have planks 2-3' wide & 2" thick to make some beautiful farm tables. :-)

I'm going to have to work a few more years after all this spending!

So happy for you in your new kitchen at last, Tam, and the new table sounds like it will be amazing. SO built our Atlanta dining room table from old 2x dimensional planks. It's actually two sections on two bases with the planks going in opposite directions. There is even a knot hole going through one of the planks so you can see the floor. He was going to trim that board but the shape of the hole is so interesting and the bark is still in it so I voted for it to stay. My vote counts as two. :) A local iron artisan made a set of vase-shaped bases to go with the tops.

We had grilled wild sockeye on grilled tortas with a salad last night. I made a spicy remoulade to top our fish sandwiches. So good it is still on my mind.

I've had pollo en jocon (a chicken in tomatillo salsa stew) in the freezer. Thinking it would be easy and good thickened with home canned white beans as part of a tortilla filling for tonight. Now back to the soggy, humid garden.

somewhere, PA

Laurel - that table sounds fabulous! And my vote also counts two around here. Gotta love that!

We're going out for dinner tonight. Bringing my iPad full of way more photos than anyone could ever want to see. But I have patient friends who will chose to plow through them (or not).

Tam

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Aren't iPads wonderful for travel photos? I have all four trips to France on mine, plus the kids, our farm, my portraits...

How many photos do you have of your trip?

Tam. Kudos on a new finished kitchen!

I'm having Eggs Florentine for supper. Been bust canning, no energy to do much else.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.