What's for dinner? (Part 45)

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Chittlins',

YAY!!

GOT TO KNOW HOW TO CLEAN THEM!!!

Thank goodness there are two sources for me in Houston!!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from Gymgirl :
Chittlins',

YAY!!

GOT TO KNOW HOW TO CLEAN THEM!!!

Now that is for sure!

Columbus, OH

Chitterlings make me glad I'm a vegetarian.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

I ordered andouillettes once in Paris and couldn't make myself eat them; even DH had to give up after a couple of bites. They are made with chitterlings and they smelled exactly like what they were...

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I suppose if you were among those starving in the South during and soon after the Civil War (how can ANY war be civil?) you'd be glad to eat Chittlins.

Frankly, I'd choose butter beans (which I haven't had in years)!

Sally, since you are technically a Southerner, being south of the Mason-Dixon line (barely), you need to learn to say Chittlins' rather than the proper name of Chitterlings. LOL.

(You don't need to learn to eat them!)

Oh yeah. I actually debated which name to write. But our local grocery store once had a sign in the meat dept about chitterlings so I went formal.

Gary Paulsen wrote that what you're willing to eat depends on how hungry you are. (many others must have said too)

There's an awesome quote about war by a doctor, posted at the Antietem Battlefield site. by Dr William Childs, but it seems impossible to find the quote anwhere else. ..."that a force can and will hurl masses of men at each other? It seems impossible and yet it is so- why, we cannot know...." Something like that But I digress.

Fridge is full of little plastic containers it must be leftovers/ clean out night.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Properly cleaned and cooked chittlins do not SMELL or taste bad...

somewhere, PA

I had a girls night out for dinner & a pedi with a friend but did cook when I got home. Made a big batch of "goulash" for my dad - will freeze it and deliver in a few weeks.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We went out for artisan pizzas and craft beers with the kids last night. Had peppers stuffed with brown rice and ground turkey tonight. Daughter made a beautiful salad with a lemon, mint, parsley, oil and garlic dressing like one used with fatoush.

Back to Atlanta tomorrow.

Columbus, OH

Warm quinoa salad, roasted zucchini, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and red onions, and spinach salad with berries. I will grill a piece of chicken or salmon for DH to go with this. Any opinions about which I should choose?

Dessert is melon...honey rock, verte de grimpant, and watermelon.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

My pick would be chicken. Can't stand salmon grilled, but I eat is every morning as Lox. Yummy.

Columbus, OH

I made chicken, because I had it in the freezer already. I loathe the smell of fish, that helped my decision, lol.

Dahlonega, GA

Chit-lins !
Menudo is an aquired taste .
Brains , I'm not that hungry .
Made sausage from fresh ground pork roast . (Love my grinder) Had simple sausage gravy and bisquits .
Got in on a half price sale on meat after the fourth and cleaned up . The fresh hams were down to $1.00 a pound , got two of those for around $10.00 each . I need a cube machine .
Wish I could talk DH into store pizza tonight . I slept from 3:00 yesterday 'till 6:30 this morning . Still sleepy . That's about once every two years event .
Nuts , I'll go find something easy for tonight . That putes to a 30 minute meal . Got it , stir fry with chicken chunks and pineapple bits , pecans .

I was going to do chicken-something tonight, but since todays high temp was maybe 79 and dry and absolutely wonderful out- I got out some odds and ends for soup. Chicken broth and tomato sauce with sausage, are my base for an improvised sort of minestrone.

somewhere, PA

I am getting way more summer squash than I can eat and its not going fast w/my friends. So... I made a dish I saw in NYTimes today. Carmelized onions w/cherry tomatoes & wine layered with squash & curry spiced panko. Oh was it good!

Back in Atlanta. Made a garden fusion Cubexican dinner. Homemade corn tortillas, garden cucumber, tomato, lime & cilantro salsa, pulled pork with fried cabbage, Mexican rice, and Cuban black beans.

Today is Little E's one month b.d.. Tomorrow is daughter's and SO's first anniversary. We will babysit and treat them to dinner out. Maybe a box of diapers for a gift since one year is paper. :)

somewhere, PA

Oh Laurel.. that gift idea just made me smile. I bet they would enjoy it immensely. And what a great story for Little E in the years to come.

The store had going-bad strawberries for 50 cents a pint. Made a pie and have a bag in the freezer for half another pie, for $2. The pie is very juicy, runny, or do you really have to let them cool so they set up?
and the Pillsbury pie crust seems nicer than the off brand ones I've bought lately. Do you guys like Pillsbury better? I just didn't want to make crust and have to wait and be eating pie at midnight.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

I always use cornstarch or Minute Tapioca in my fruit pies to stop them from being so runny, but it should be more solid once it cools, anyway.

I used 3 TB of cornstarch...they couldn't wait any longer to cut it!

Dahlonega, GA

I prefer plain flour for thickner . It makes a creamier filling . I only buy Mrs. Smith or Pillsbury deep dish pie crust . As good as mine and easier .

Columbus, OH

I make my own pie crusts and freeze them, so I don't have to do it too awfully often.

somewhere, PA

I found tapioca to work really well in fruit pies. I could only find the large pearl size last time I looked and then ground them up in my (cleaned) spice grinder.

Leftovers tonight.
Tam

Duly noted all great advice on pies.! TIme for me to have another piece.
Made chicken wings- no recipe. Just soaked in salt water a bit then some oil and generous sprinkle of Old Bay, baked till golden.

somewhere, PA

Perhaps time for a new thread?

I had my first dinner party w/the new kitchen. Was in heaven cooking for it!

I made chicken cacciatore, a squash w/carmelized onions, tomato in wine sauce layered with curried panko (baked) and a plum clafoutis for dessert. We toasted the new kitchen with champaigne and had a grand time!

I've frozen a lot of blueberries & 2 dozen ears of organic corn I got from the memonite farm neary by. The crop is fabulous this year so I'm sure we'll ahve more.

Tonight - left over squash dish w/fresh peaches for dessert.

Dahlonega, GA

Mango nectar with frozen strawberries blended into a slushy for me and smoked pork roast with mango salsa ,toms ,steamed squash , corn on cob for J.

somewhere, PA

And tonight, left overs - squash dish & clafoutis. And a glass of wine

Dinner here the last few nights with family and friends then dinner at a friend's home with our grown kids and theirs. Just the four of us tonight. Baby backs, squash casserole, baked potatoes & roasted Brussels sprouts.

yum yum yum

I made turkey burgers and forgot that they wouldn't shrink the way beef burgers do. So they're nice and big
Tomorrow homemade tomato soup.

Columbus, OH

I made some spinach, zucchini and chick pea patties to serve with a mixed grain pilaf, green beans with lemon, and sliced tomatoes, basil, and cucumber.

That sounds so good, Celene. Were recipes involved? I'm especially interested in veggie patties.

More guests tomorrow. I'm making fried fish tacos on homemade tortillas, grilled veggie salad and a fresh fruit salad.

Columbus, OH

The veggie patties loosely have a recipe. Loosely. I shred one medium zucchini with the large holes on a grater, and salt the shreds lightly--like you'd salt popcorn, and toss them in a colander to drain. Want mushroom? Shred and salt some of those as well. I leave this to drain maybe 30 min, and press out all the liquid, I squeeze really hard against the bottom of the colander. Pop the salted, squeezed zucchini in a mixing bowl.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment. These will stick like crazy, so don't try just using release spray, or you will curse the day I was born. I use parchment sprayed with release spray.

I use 2 big handfuls of dry, roughly chopped spinach per medium zucchini, you can mix it up as you like. Steam the spinach in the microwave for just a minute, squeeze until dry, and add to bowl with zucchini. I generally end up with 2 small handfuls of spinach when I'm done. Rough chop about 1/2 cup of drained garbanzo beans or whatever firm cooked bean you prefer and add this to the mixing bowl.

Add about 1/2 cup diced onion or green onion, about 1/2 cup cheese--the flavor is up to you, and 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs--seasoned is okay if you like them. Correct seasoning with salt and pepper, and whatever herbs you like. I personally like a little parsley and dill. Add 1 egg per 2-ish cups of veg after you've tasted to correct seasoning. Mix it all together and make patties--I use about 1/4 cup per patty, and place on prepared sheet, and bake until browned on top. Let them rest for a couple minutes and work them off the parchment, they'll be sticky.

Do you want to add...
chopped cooked broccoli, squeezed so it's dry, instead of spinach?
finely diced red pepper
finely shredded carrot
chopped, drained cooked kale instead of spinach
cooked, mashed leftover winter squash-great for leftover spaghetti squash, but be forewarned, the patties will be a monkey ugly color with winter squash. Like something you'd find in a diaper! They're still tasty, though.

What didn't work...
Tomato--canned, fresh sun-dried, not so tasty
Corn
Potato-any kind, fresh or not.
green beans

It's a forgiving recipe, just make sure the vegetables that are likely to release water when cooked...spinach, mushrooms, are steamed a little and squeezed dry, and the zucchini is salted and squeezed dry. The patties are not super attractive when they're baked, so you may want to throw a little extra cheese and maybe some diced parsley or dill on top when they're almost browned.

They reheat fairly well, I've never bothered to freeze them because they're so easy to make. My sister prefers them in ball shapes, it's up to you.

Thanks, Celene. I'm def going to try them. Thinking a little corn meal, seasoned crumbs or panko might reduce the stick. I don't use release sprays but will olive oil parchment and spritz the tops of the patties.

Forgot I bought two very large plantains at the farmers market that will make a good addition to the fish taco dinner tonight.

Columbus, OH

I've tried oiling the parchment, and it works as well as release spray. Let me know if the coating reduces the sticking to the pan, it's the only thing I dislike about these.

Columbus, OH

I have a pile of half-sheet parchment in my amazon cart. Should I try Silpat or one of the knockoffs instead? I will still need some parchment for odd sized pans, but I go through 100 sheets every couple of months. I have fear of sticking, and not fitting my favorite cookie sheet.

Silpats are a miracle!

somewhere, PA

I cut the silpat to fit my cookie sheet and am very much enjoying it. It was just about 1/2" too wide. No issue whatsoever in cutting it.

Hope Terry shows up soon. This thread is getting very slow.

We arrived at Maypop a few hours ago. After casing out the garden, and doing a little picking, the leftover salad was beefed up. Red beans have been defrosted and pulled brisket in tomatoes, onions, etc. (from the grits 'n cheese) dinner have been added to the beans. We are having a one dish taco salad on trays and Netflix.

It's chantrelle season here. Being mostly in the woods we've got tons. Fresh chantrelles for tomorrow's dinner.

somewhere, PA

I don't think she'd mind if we started a new thread. I'll start one soon if we don't hear from her soon

somewhere, PA

I hope Terry doesn't mind... I started us a new thread as this one is getting so long is slow slow slow...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1327767/

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.