What would you plant in the old boots?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ferns look nice in them but I don't want ferns. I'd prefer something that can take some sun. It can get hot here in the summer.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

I like Succulents in them, like hens & chicks

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I like both of those ideas. Thanks. I have an old pair of gardening clogs that I will use for planting also. I have a lot of Hens and Chicks growing already so will probably put them in those. The geraniums are a good idea for a very sunny location and would look good in the boots as well.

Baby Crocs and a "shoe" cell phone holder. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Mesilla Park, NM

Hens and chicks..

I saw a regular high heeled shoe hard wrapped with mesh that was dipped in plaster (could use a concrete slurry for outdoor use). Then it was mosaiced . I wish I knew how to link. I have it as a favorite on my Flickr acct. if you google Flickr and find me under gourd- that little line is an underscore but my key board doesn't have it or I can't find it.

Then , after the shoes were sealed, they put small plants, small ice plants and prtulacas would spill over and look great.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a pair of my now-deceased husband's tennis shoes planted with cacti - really like the look.

Thumbnail by KayJones
Mesilla Park, NM

How nice to have your late DHs boots. Very nice Kay,

Here is the link to this lady's flicker, she has a tutorial on there

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cazkovacs/4287596420/in/[email protected]/

Thank god someone on Dave's forum answered my request on how to link..

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the link, Gourd. Some very nice ideas there.

Kay, I love those tennis shoes. I have several of the "rat tail" type cacti and I really like that look. Did you drill a hole in the bottom of the shoes for drainage?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Carole, I did not put holes for drainage - water seeps out through the stitching in the soles, plus - I don't water very often. These sneakers are in the greenhouse, which contains enough humidity, naturally, to keep the plants happy.

Newark, DE

Doesn't anyone remember what our own David did with boots?

AWESOME!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1297207/

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, very nice. Looking for other suggestions as well.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh my goodness ... so many ideas ... need more boots. :-D)))

Thank you!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

You're Welcome...ENJOY!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.