From leftover concrete tufa bowls for succulents

Mesilla Park, NM

Made some planters using dollar store bowls, with the left over concrete . I just added some peat moss, and vermiculite in a couple. Cured them for a couple of weeks and here they are.

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Those look really nice!

Mesilla Park, NM

Thank you Linda. I use just about anything I find as a mold.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I so want to try the hypertufa but my time is so limited right now I'll be it will be a year or more before I can even seriously think about trying it!

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi pat,

How have you been? I made some faces again and had some quikrete mixture left over so I added peat moss and a little perlite to the leftover concrete mix. I haven't made much more tho. Mi did get more bowls and some styrofoam ice chests to make some square hypertufa planters. It has been so darned hot here in the past couple of weeks 105 some days and now it is in the 90s, cool for us, I think I got a little bit of heatstroke Sunday, been feeling lightheaded all week.

Get in there girl, I know you have your bench molds, boy those must be heavy to unfold. But, you can star small..

Good to see you!

Thanks, it was good to see some of your work again. I LOVED those faces you made and thought of that when I saw bowls. My husband has had 2 major surgeries in the last 6 weeks and it looks like we are facing at least 2 more. His new hip replacement got infection and we have been unsuccessful at getting the infection cleared up. In 2 more weeks if this is uncontrol, he'll have to have the hip removed.

During all this... I got a new job in a different town and I'm getting the house ready for sale!

HOWEVER, my son's girlfriend is interested in crafts and I'll bet I could convince her to try the hypertufa at their house!!! Heheheh... I'm sure my son regrets sometimes how much she & I get along so well! LOL

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh no about the hip problem. I had hip injections last year and got infections, had to unse a cane and walker to get out of bed. Maine did clear up, but, my hips always hurt. I wish you both well. Can't even begin to imagine his pain and discomfort. I feel for you also. This is another move for you? It has to be difficult leaving your garden..

You seem to be handling everything. Good for you on your new job. You have two of the top stressors in life right now.. Moving, new job... Fun, but stressful. Good luck there.

LOL... another move. It is always painful to leave my garden's behind. This one was finally really coming along, we've been here less than 4 years, oh well.
I'm thinking we will likely be stuck in an apartment for a while. Not sure how I'll survive that. I think I'll have to transfer my yard care needs to my sons' house. They could use some help!! Yep, now that I think about it, that's what I'll do.

I've been meaning to do "something" about their place. I'll have to design a completely maintaince free front with rock etc. None of them do ANY yard work and it shows. I've killed the scrap tree and been spraying chemicals to kill off the weeds but something PROACTIVE and attractive would be nice. My oldest son said he'd give me a budget to work with. I'd like to put rock, cement and some sculpture in. It has to be not too expensive and not too sensitive to abuse/vandalism.

My sweet husband has had more than his share of pain and surgeries. We've only been married 7 years this August and he's had knee replacement, shoulder surgery, amputation revision ( they reshaped the stump), 2 cataract, Quadruple heart bypass, and now 2 hip surgeries. Those 8 surgeries have been in the last 5 years.

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh no! He must be very strong. It is amazing what the body can take. Just when you think things are under control , something else happens . Sweetie stay strong for both of you. Will you be moving close to family? Sometimes it helps to just have them around

An apartment won't be bad, at least you won't have to worry about maintenance for a while.

Are you still quilting? I miss sewing, I may start up again closer to winter.

Gardening is for my sanity and I will miss it terribly if I don't find an outlet. But, you're right, not having the maintenance will be a blessing.

I have not sewn in months, and likely will not get a chance to for a while longer. A lot will depend on how fast the house sells and where we move to. I have a quilt block exchange that is due in September I need to complete.

My job is in Tri-Cities and that area is where all my family is. We tried to find work there 4 years ago and finally accepted a job & settled in Othello, an hour away. As my sons said when I lamented it wasn't Tri-Cities "It's closer than Boise!"

Southern California, CA

Love the bowls. So you mix hypertufa and then what? Are the dollar store bowls on the inside or outside? I remember your faces, they were great.

Can you post your faces here, would love to see them?

Mesilla Park, NM

These are some of the faces. The dollar store bowls are used in two. One inside the other, younplace some Crete/tufa inside lining the larger bowl, then you put the smaller bowl on top of the tufa, whic makes the smaller bowl land up inside. Make sure you use cooking spray on the inside of the larger bowl, and spray the outside of the smaller bowl.

Think hoe those Russian dolls sit inside each other nesting.

Thanks for the compliments.

Pat, I hope things get easier for you... You have a hard row to hoe about now.

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

PS. Excuse all the pots all over, we are still working this area, we just put in two crepe myrtles with the maroon leaves, one at the last face red bloomer, and one white flowering in the secret garden,

Those are so cute where did you find that mold?

Mesilla Park, NM

I got it on eBay a couple of years ago, I think the name of the seller was statues to go.. I posted the link at that time on a thread in the garden art forum under maiden lady thread towards the end of the thread. The name of the mold is David.

Mesilla Park, NM

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1166879/

Here are some of the faces

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.