Good Summer Reads?

Lake Grove, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm looking for some good summer reads...preferably not romance but more along the historical fiction line....thanks!

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Not sure if this is your cup of tea but I think author suzanna kearsey ?? Marianna is the name of one book. First I read was The Winter Sea ( I think - sorry)
Not heavy reading or thought provoking but light summer stuff -- will keep you interested - yet still allow you to put down and start dinner or the laundry.

Also - you probably read this already - its old - and not sure it fits your request but the author did homwork in description of the earth and movement of early people, social structure, living etc.
Clan of the Cave Bear - quite popular in its time.

Historical but it is a "Romance" that I loved - "Shanna" . ( don't read these as a rule - this is old but you can get on Kindle so that should tell you how popular it was)

A Land Remembered - old again. Settling of Florida - but great great story if you can get your hands on it.

Have you read Gone with the Wind?

Did you read Pillars of the Earth? Ken Follett

I am just starting book by chinese award winning writer. Big Breasts Wide Hips -Mo Yan won Nobel Prize. 20th Century China ( chinese Govt doesn't like how China portrayed in his fiction so banned)

The Good Earth?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

The Good Earth is a wonderful read. One of my favorites of all time.

Roots.

Death Comes to the Archbishop.

Cinnamon and Gunpowder.

The Illusion of Separateness.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

lol. I didn't notice the date of the original post. I'm definitely late to the party. As usual. ;-)

Me too but now I have all your titles.
Did you read Cutting for Stone?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

No, is it good?

Great.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks. I'll check into that one.

You probably read but if not look into Edgar Sawtelle ( story of? )

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I've heard about it, but I haven't read it. I'll look into that one too. :)

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

I keep hearing about "Cutting for Stone" and keep forgetting that I want to check that out.

I have finally just read "Pride and Prejudice"... yeah, I know, it took me long enough!! Well I gotta say (please don't beat me), I was disappointed, I had no idea it was such a "chick book". Yes, I'm a lady, but I HATE "chick books" and "chick flicks". I couldn't help but love the Father in the story, but everyone else made me want to bonk them on the head.

Now, that book by Mo Yan sounds interesting, I may have to check that one out as well. =)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

It has been sooo long since I read P and P. Back in my youthful, romantic daze, er, days. So I remember liking it. But probably not enough to read it again.

I downloaded it about 4 months ago but did not start. I figured I should not (not) read such a classic.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

^_^

It is funny (not really tho) how when younger there was anxiety about all the books out 'there' and not wanting to miss a good one -- believed that for every book read -- I could be missing 4. But even if not enthralled with a book - I finished it. It never occurred to me that perhaps we get just so many books allotted in life - where we have time me to read, the vision, and the brain to process the book. I don't have one foot in the ole grave yet - but I am definitely on the other side of the mountain.....maybe I should be more discriminatory about choosing books ---- I may be down to my last 500 and I don't want to find the perfect book at #591!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

That's a thought. I can understand it. I've gotten lazy about longer reads. I tend to stick with shorter, faster to read books these days. Might be the urgency of so many books, so little time. You just don't tend to think about that when you're young(er).

Port Sanilac, MI

I agree about the longer reads, especially today. I am looking at Pillars of the Earth. I've picked it up and weighed it in my hand. Do I do it or not? It looks SO big today! I could read 3 or 4 regular books instead. On the other hand, I like Ken Follett and I've heard it's good. What do ya think?

I loved it.
Great story and character development and learned so much about architecture

I may have mentioned this before but a good read is What Alice Forgot

Not deep but thought provoking. Fairly fast and entertaining. I just read another by same author but CAN'T REMEMBER TITLE!

Alice was a little bit scary ....makes you wonder how you would handle similar situation..

Conneaut Lake, PA

Hi all....Big news flash....at least to me...(grin) My daughter-in/-law has had her first novel published. She is a senior high teacher at a local Christian school (darn good one, too...( lol) . Anyhow it's a nice easy reading love story, and since she is a Penn State fan, that's woven into the tale. Do I sound proud? It's called "Lion's Awakening". She says that she has even started on her second novel....I think it may be some sorta of sequel to this one, but she's being kinda secretive about it for now....Anyhow, congratulations to Cindy. I hope that this isn't considered advertising and I don't mean it to be. Now if I'd included a picture of the cover..., ??

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

What exciting news. Congrats to Cindy and to her grandmother as well. :) No, you're not selling anything here so I think it's okay. And I have nothing whatsoever to profit from the book .... sooo ... I'm guessing it's this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Lions-Awakening-Cindy-Bingham/dp/1490802819

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

This is not "advertising", this is "SHARING", which is something we're all good at here! =) And, THANK YOU for sharing about this book! I am a BIIGGG football fan; and being a happy wife of 20 years, a HUGE fan of romance, so I will DEFINITELY get this book. < =D

Wheeeeeee, CONGRATULATIONS Mamma-in-Law!! < =)

How wonderful. Much success on her first book. Exciting times!

Conneaut Lake, PA

Thanks so much for your comments....and Cville ...one of my all time favorites was The Good Earth, actually anything by Pearl Buck, that is other than my little girl favorite of Heidi. I think that I read that at least 10 times...and saw the movie several times...(once a couple of years ago...guess we don't really grow ALL up, do we?) .lol

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Realizing this thread has gone beyond summer, I'd like to add a few recommends. Firstly, for exciting and engaging historical fiction I liked Gary Jennings books, Aztec and The Journeyer. The second one is about Marco Polo. His books are epic adventures. There is always James Michener if you can keep yourself awake through his incredibly long prologues that can last a hundred or more pages. It's been years, but as I recall, Hawaii starts with a description of a coconut floating on the Pacific from French Polynesia to the book's title. Though he does go on, I still remember the reading as good. Chesapeake and Texas were special standouts. I'd like to read Mexico. If you like history but need it dressed up with a story it does not have to be fiction. Mark Kurlansky has a few great tales to tell that are non-fiction. His book, Cod, is amazing. It's a history of the world through what was at one time a worldwide primary food commodity. Another of his books, Salt, tells the history of the world through salt which has had religious significance, political significance and was at one time used by many cultures as currency. Kurlansky's Cod should be of special interest to those living in the N.E..

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I thought summer reads meant light reading. Boy was I off...lol

The original poster requested something along the lines of historical fiction. Light reading would be an oxymoron. Summer reading from my earliest memory was a huge list of assigned reading from teachers and supervised by parents. It was challenging and supposed to foster an appreciation for literature. My teachers were not beyond making summer home visits and would be invited for dinner. Dreadful! This was public school in the fifties. I did have a year each of American lit., world lit., and Russian lit. by the time I graduated from high school.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

That comment wasn't directed at you personally, I did think the original post was an oxymoron as summer reads means light reading to me. But I have seen a lot of good books to try. Lol my kids still get a summer reading list of the same books I read at their age. I'm sure some others have been written...

I could not put Snowflower And The Secret Fan down. It's a cultural history of 19th c. China and based on a woman's diary found on a train. The story shares the lives of two females who are paired as life friends at seven years through the custom of having their feet broken and bound. I recall women with "lotus feet" from my childhood. Then I found Splendid Slippers at the library, a book of incredible lotus slipper photos with history.

Another one. The All True Adventures Of Lidie Newton by Jane Smiley. I think that's the title. Great writer and great read.

Wichita Falls, United States

try reading Sydney Sheldon books.

I read the Good Earth when I was 10-11 ish...and Guy de Maupassant ...

In our house we took what we could get....

....then dad ordered Readers Digest Condensed Books ...I read The Moonflower Vine -- and those stories set my ideas about "light reading"

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

My mom ordered the Reader's Digest Condensed Books. I still have a couple of them in the guest bedroom.

The golden page ends....

When the mail came.....oh boy...........

Replaced " highlights " and the big cookie can of crayons!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I loved some of the Highlights features- they were a special treat at the eye doctors office

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I remember Highlights. Hadn't thought about them in a long time. Always looked forward to when they came in the mail. :)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

they still publish- wish I has some little kids to subscribe for!

Chicago, IL

From the topical I recommend What Comes After: A Novel, by J. Tompkins, and if you need to prepare a review for a book or other analytical materials, then I advise you to check this https://papersbattle.com/papersowl-review/ the current review on PapersOwl. On this cool service, you can always study useful characteristics about written help services, this will help save time.

This message was edited May 6, 2021 1:51 PM

NY, Albania

An excellent book. I agree with you. Being only part of the big picture, independent states, which are a prime example of the continental-European type of political culture https://edupro.cc/subjects/political-science/, will be mixed with non-unique data to the point of complete unrecognizability, which makes their status of uselessness increase. It is difficult to say why the proponents of totalitarianism in science, overcoming the current difficult economic situation, are considered exclusively in terms of marketing and financial prerequisites. In particular, the cohesion of the team of professionals speaks to the possibilities of the positions taken by the participants with regard to the tasks at hand.

I could not agree (or disagree) with the above sesquipedalian statement more!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.