SUMMER 2013 #2

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

If I take a short detour down a back road I get to enjoy a cutting garden. I'll drive by once a week just to see what is blooming. The son maintains it for his elderly mother. The reblooming iris aren't blooming yet, so I'll check again this week.

Thomaston, CT

Good son! I have the youth group from church coming over next week to weed & spread mulch....also, one of the adults, who is a fireman, will try to get me a burn permit, & he will burn my huge brush pile......hooray!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

That's really nice, RD.....good for them!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

wish I had help with my mulch today - well not really they would not have spread it like I want it spread :)

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Noone else would notice some fix up later.

Hurray for Marilyn getting help.

I have ten 1.5 cu foot bags almost ready to dump before I buy more. My garden center guy said, "I bet you live on a hill don't you?" He knew there had to be a reason for buying it this way.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I got the 3 cu ft bags, and they got wet. Soooo heavy! So we bought a super lightweight wheelbarrow at HD, and I can manage. But lesson learned! I'm about 1/2 way through the pallet of 45 bags we had delivered this spring. I figure they'll last at least partway into next year, then we'll switch to the 2 cu ft bags HD carries. They deliver too, if you buy a pallet, and I love having an endless supply available. DH likes it too, instead of having to buy half a dozen bags every time we go out.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Too bad most of us can't just wish the mulch into place. .I keep reminding myself that I'll be stronger next year :) For us delivery is trivial if it is only to the driveway since there is a series of hills to climb. I am partial to a Black Forest mix that composts nicely and smells like manure, but it holds twice as much water as the ordinary pine mix. I am also OK about saving half of the old rotten woodpile for next year's mulch. It has kept the newest plantings at the highest point very well moistened.

Glad Pam has a way to manage with the wheelbarrow.

Thomaston, CT

I had the mulch dumped into the driveway's turnaround.....have to get rid of it before the snow flies!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Great news, RD!!!

Glad you're getting some help! All that rain,mthen all that heat-- weeds went wild!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Bill you sound like my hubby, always has to do it himself because NO ONE else would do it right

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Anemone

and petunias in Red white and blue barrel

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
Thomaston, CT

Wow, your anenomes are early...mine start blooming end of Aug, beginning of Sept. Like that blue flower.......The coordinator of the Youth Group stopped by today & wrote down the jobs I have.....all is set for next Wed.!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Nice, Jen! My anemones finally "went away". (That's what those of us who don't handle death well like to say when a pretty fleur "is no more".). Maybe there's only one of "us"......oh Dear! LOL

Thomaston, CT

I lost one over the winter, too, Louise....my lovely double one! I replaced it with a single pink, right before the heat wave.....looked like I lost that one, too, but I noticed a new leaf the other day....yippee!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

That's great, Marilyn! I just hate it when I see a plant tag in my garden with an empty space behind it!

Thomaston, CT

Wish I was that organized...sometimes I remember a plant is missing at the end of the season! Hard to miss the anenome, it was right by my garage door, & it's poor dead foliage was very evident!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

My jungle corner, look how tall those DLs are!!!
Last of the Daylilies blooming
Volunteer Rudbeckia in the shade
Salvia Wild Thing
Phlox with Agastache in the background

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pectranthus Brazilian Purple

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Nice Jen. The Pectranthus is unusual.

Thomaston, CT

Really love that DL, Jen!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Surprised to find 2 more reblooming DLs

The fragrance on this Stained Glass Hosta is amazing!!!!

Aster 'Purple Dome'

Barberton, OH

Cannas and friends

Thumbnail by salix_man
Thomaston, CT

I have a few DLs reblooming also....would like to get a few more.....canna lilies are awesome plants!

South Hamilton, MA

DL Pumpkin time is still flowering. Golden rod popping open in several places.

Thomaston, CT

My Final Touch DL is putting on a show also....I really love it!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

RD, what does Final touch look like?

Lucy, I still have Baltimore Oriole, Golden Prize, Red Top, Luxury Lace,, Elaine Strutt, and Buttered Popcorn blooming.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh my gosh is this Final Touch???

I have to get it!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/50477/

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

That's really nice.

Thomaston, CT

Here it is blooming right now in my garden, close-up & clump.....it's a fav for sure! Quilt Patch DL is also blooming wildly, hibiscus & Redhead coleus.....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

That's a beautiful pink coleus.

Final Touch is gorgeous! And Quilt Patch looks a lot like one of my Noid's....Pic 1. Do you think iit could be the same thing? The previous owner here was a DL hybridizer until the late 60's, maybe I have a related seedling?

Pic 2 is another one, definitely related somehow, but more wine colored.

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Cool pics! I am new to the alternating colors on a DL. Now I want Final Touch and Quilt Patch.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

So pretty Robin...I am really liking the mixed colors on the DLs...this was another I had added to my wish list

http://www.oakesdaylilies.com/categories/daylilies/colors/pink/products/3292-banned-in-boston

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Very pretty, Marilyn! Final Touch looks a bit like Hush Little Baby. I love those colors. I also like that coleus!

Thomaston, CT

Thanks, all....Pam, you could have Quilt Patch......hard to tell with the flash on the camera...sometimes the color changes a bit....Oooh, I love Banned in Boston...so ruffly!

I had a guy working with me today. Got lots done I've been planning for weeks, one bed in particular I've been trying to organize for a couple of years, somehow never gets finished. But today, we made great progress. Noe there's a wide band of daylilies across the bed, tall grasses behind on the left, lots of iris on the right. SIBs part way back, TBI's yet to be planted nearer the front, Phlox and perennial sunflowers at the back.

At the Daylily farm I went to this week, they said to plant late bloomers in front of early, makes great sense, so that's what I tried to do. And since they've just stopped blooming (these are all noid's I already had), I know exactly which is which.

As soon as the worst of the digging was done there, I moved him to other places and had him keep up the heavy work. So now I have a lot of finishing to do, but at least the worst is over. There was a terrible corner in the 'poor relation' bed, naturalized phlox, thick Vinca, and weeds, weeds, weeds- volunteer Hosta, Tradescantia, ferns, grass- ugh! He got most of the worst of it today, YAY! And I have a wheelbarrow full of big clumps of Vinca to plant elsewhere tomorrow. Pics are during the lunch break, better ones tomorrow.

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
South Hamilton, MA

When our house was painted in May, the old & not used lean to greenhouse came down. Guy inspecting came around today & took it off the tax bill. yea!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

WOW, Pam, lots of work!!!! Looking good

Yay, for a lower tax bill, iris!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

good you had help - looks good

finally got around to trimming conifers today and weeding a large bed with lambs ear that keeps down erosion - re-thinking that and will move joe pye and some others to mingle.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.