Fireflies

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Has anyone noticed that we have an abundance of fireflies this year? All over the place daytime too.

My granddaughter inquires whether or not the intermittent flashing goes on daytime too - just not seen (does it?)

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

We always have an abundance of fireflies, probably because of all the trees in the area.

I don't think they "blink" during the day. I often see them resting on leaves in my garden during the day.

(Zone 9a)

We don't have any this far south but I saw what appeared to be thousands in Asheville 2 weeks ago. It was just extraordinary.

Biltmore would look magical with the wee lights

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I have so many fond memories of catching and chasing fireflies as a child here in Sumter County. I've often wondered why I rarely see them anymore. Could climate change be the culprit? Hmmm...

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I feel left out! I've only seen one!

I see them every year - but this year -- bumper crop
I feel like I am in a fairy tale garden a too bad the Mosquitos are out too!

(Zone 9a)

Barb was the one at Biltmore, I was nearby though the same weekend. You are correct, it would have been a fairyland there this yer. It must be all the rain.

We had TERRIBLE drought last few years -- so I hate to complain...but enough is enough. If that storm drenches us.....we will be engulfed by mushrooms.....either that or we will spear and slice each other to death with the frizzies springing like wire off our heads!

(Zone 9a)

....and the mosquitoes - if ony they were as pretty and non lethal as the fireflies.

Lately....not only don't I see them .....but the bite doesn't rear its head until much later...I think I got away with that "quick run" to yank that weed I saw from the window...and POW...few hours later. Back of the knee is a FAV spot for them

This message was edited Jul 10, 2013 8:11 PM

(Zone 9a)

That's true and the ankles too, I think it is because the blood vessels are so close to the skin surface in those spots. Then there are the chiggers and we won't speak of where they bite.

Mosquitos too and the shocking part is that they can get to me right thru my gardening bloomers. Now THAT'S no easy feat! I am dressed for chemical warfare and firebombs when I garden.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hee!

Skeeters and fireflies in abundance here too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.