New Uses for Old Glassware

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Been having fun at my favorite Goodwill store. Bought some "cut glass" plates, bowls, and vases as well as some plain clear vases.
Also found a cool watermelon plate and a ceramic vase that went well together.
Now I have some cool things for my garden and some cloches for my succulents.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew Thumbnail by rouxcrew Thumbnail by rouxcrew Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Would never have thought of putting those 2 pieces together. They look wonderful. How creative!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

The first 3 pics look like miniature Birdbaths! That's cool.

Thanks so much, i have seen several totems made with glassware, but I couldn't seem to come up with one. So you're right they won't hold much water but that's exactly what the thought was, small bird bath. or a butterfly way station.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I love the watermelon combination!!

Edmond, OK(Zone 7a)

I love the Watermelon small birdbath or planter, too! Great idea. What kind of glue did you use to hold the pieces together?

I used JBWeld epoxy clear. I have always been impressed with how well jBWeld works and although I was at the hardware store for a silicon sealant, when I read the info and talked to a "convert" I decided to give it a try. It sets very fast and is clear. I ran a bead on the vase top and put it together upside down with the plate on the ground.

I have found another cute vase with some little yellow flowers for $1, but haven't scored another fun plate or bowl. I have my watermelon one out in my flowers with water and a couple sponges for butterflies. Unfortunately here, the heat is so intense that you have to refill it several times a day.

Englewood, FL

I love it , how large is the water melon dish.

It is 12".

Southern California, CA

Clever! You have a good eye for what goes together.

Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL(Zone 7b)

I agree,, great eye. Love your ideas.

I've been in several thrift stores lately and still can't find anything as lovely as your watermelon plate!

(Zone 9a)

Love those ideas, especially the cloches for succulents. The watermelon plate would make a lovely bird bath for a small balcony or porch if one didn't have an actual garden.

A friend bought this solar light at a garden festival and has since started making and selling her own. Every one is different as you can imagine. It is just old vases and plates, glass blobs, etc. glued together like you have done. The solar light inside is the least expensive one WalMart sells, it is important that the light itself can be seperated from its base so it can be easily glued on the plate.

Thumbnail by ardesia Thumbnail by ardesia Thumbnail by ardesia Thumbnail by ardesia

Very nice.

Love that idea. I think it would be very pretty by the steps to our bunkhouse which doesn't have an outside light. We have a solar light stuck on a piece of rebar that is functional but this would be so much better.

(Zone 9a)

They do look very pretty at night, the crystal sparkles. It is important that the top piece not be concave or water will sit there. Not only does it block sunslight from getting to the solar light, it breeds mosquitoes.

I'll be going to the garden fetival where she bought the original one in a few weeks. I hope that vendor is there again, I'll take pictures to get some ideas. I want to make some for Christmas gifts.

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Very pretty. Can you glue plastic and glass together? I have an orange plastic glass and an orange glass bowl that would look nice together but I don't know if that's done with plastic and glass. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

>>Love

I have never tried to glue plastic and glass toy ether but looking at my glues, it doesn't say you can't, says it glues plastic and glues glass. I say give it a try. Just make sure that you run a little alcohol over the part of the plastic to be glued to make sure there is no residual oil on it.

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

(Zone 9a)

I saw these sun catchers at a gardening symposium the other day. They were in the silent auction and they had a lot of interest. Each one had several plates, bowls and/or candle holders glued together.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Ohhh pretty!!!!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

I love the cottage looking birdbath. I am doing this for sure! Thanks.

Somerville, MA

Some great ideas for DIY bird baths! I always like to mention to keep bird baths 2" deep or less to prevent accidental drowning.

http://birdbathsforsale.com

Virginia Beach, VA

What kind of glue do you use?

Thanks,

Belle

per note 8/1/2013: JBWeld epoxy clear

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful work!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.