Probably a flower of NC & SC only (LOL)

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I've been trying to identify a flower and unable to take a picture of any because of traffic problems basically. Each flower looks like a huge morning glory (maybe 5 inches across). I have seen them be white with a magenta dot in the center or various shades of pink and mauve. All the ones I've seen look like a little shrub, no taller than two feet tall by three feet across. I would like to know if they are an annual or perennial. Can we find seeds for them? Does anyone know what they could be? They're not too popular and I'm always looking in yards for somewhere I can stop and ask about them, but I have been unable to do so. Thanks.

Karin
greenthumb_NC

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

This?

Datura

Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie
Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

The second one looks like the right shape and size. The ones that have the multiple flowers are definitely not it. Each flower is not close to another. There's lots of leaves in between the flowers. They are very simple like the second one. I'm not sure about the first one because the diameter looks too small. The third one is a complicated flower and is not it. They are not a hanging flower, nor are they a vining flower. Thanks for the help.

Karin
greenthumb_NC

Sorry - I am not so hot at identification. But, this the only thing I can think of that looks like MG with no vine and huge. Interested to know what it is. Maybe you can snag a photo.

Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie
Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Maybe it's a Rose of Sharon? Or perhaps one of the hardy hibiscus - which I believe is also a Rose of Sharon - not sure about that...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/788/

Anyways - if you do a search online for Rose of Sharon you could compare it with what you are looking for.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

It does sounds like a hardy hibiscus - probably Disco Belle.

Try this site for example:

http://www.outsidepride.com/seed/flower-seed/hibiscus/hibiscus-disco-belle.html

I thought about hibiscus having just cut down a monster reaching the upper gutters! But I have not seen that big a bloom for ROS and Karin should not be seeing only rarely since commonly grown these parts. Could of course be that height.

Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) is a hardy shrub while Hardy Hibiscus (Hibiscus moscheutos) is a hardy perennial dying to the ground each year in freezing weather states. The bloom size for hardy hibiscus is a lot larger than Rose of Sharon.

(Zone 9a)

The "white with a magenta center" sounds like the native, hardy hibiscus moscheutos. You often see them in ditches or damp spaces and with all the rain this year they should be all over.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/982/

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Those are Daturas (upright bloom) and Brugmansias (bloom hangs down).
Absolutely. ;)
Barb

Yes Barbie not knowing which direction Karin's mystery blooms were, I just looked for huge blooms that might resemble. Thought datura most likely since we don't see them often here from roadside. Pretty both!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I believe that the flowers I'm viewing are the Hardy Hibiscus - Disco Belle. On that link that you provided, it looked like all the colors are on the same plant. These have one single color on each plant. I have the Rose of Sharon and there is nothing similar to these "little shrubs". They really stand out when they're in the front of a house. I'm going to have them next year.!! Thank you all for your input.

Karin
greenthumb_NC

The picture was just representative of the color range of Disco Belle - not of one shrub with many colors.

9 inch wide flowers!! Wow. Now, I am going to get a peek at this one in the flesh. The Japanese beetles destroy the ROS and the bees love it - wasps too. So, I avoid because hubby gets dead if he encounters the wrong end of as stinging bug. But I can LOOK !

(Zone 9a)

The Plant Delights catalog lists many many hardy hibiscus. Lots of pretty pictures.
www.plantdelights.com

I try to go to the open house weekends just to look....but it ends up costing me a bundle. Such a great experience those gardens - like a separate world once inside.

Check your local HD store. They have 'Midnight Marvel' for sale at our local stores.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I got some seed for 'midnight marvel' this spring from a DG friend. I haven't started them yet, so I'm glad this thread reminded me. :)

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

What a great link, Ardesia, at the Plant Delights Nursery in Raleigh. I didn't know they had those plants. If worse comes to worse, I'll know where I can buy them. Thanks.

Karin in Charlotte
greenthumb_NC

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

greenthumb - we seem to be living in the same neck-of-the-woods. I'm in South Charlotte, near Matthews.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, HoneybeeNC, we're probably pretty close. I'm near Mint Hill.

Today I stopped at the house where I first saw them and the lady was home. She said that in the fall, we'll get together after the seeds are dark and we'll sort them as to variety and she'll give me whatever I want to start.

I'm going to get her interested in Dave's Garden. She has a whole lot of flowers and likes perennials mostly.

Karin
greenthumb_NC

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Karin - that's great news about the lady sharing seeds with you.

If she joins DG we'll have one more person in the Charlotte area to swap ideas with. ^_^

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Y'all. These are not hibiscus at ALL.
The purple and white are Datura and the peach one is Brugmansia.
Barb

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I just want to point out that Datura (Angels trumpet) is poisonous!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Only if you eat them. ;) They are hallucinogenic. There's a story that the Indians gave the European settlers in Jamestown some and it's one of the reasons the settlement failed. Another name for Datura is Jimson (sp?) weed.
Some people have problems with Brugmansias also. I'm glad I don't have a problem with either.
There's info on the Web about the history of both and how they were used. I'll have to try and hunt that down.
Barb

It has been years but I had patients that would tell me that having no access to tobacco coming up - they would smoke Jimson weed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.