Trying to ID this Moth...Had no luck in Insect ID forum

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi,
This Moth flew into our house one evening, about a week ago. I took some pictures, then carefully released it outside.

I posted the pics in the Insect & Spider ID forum where I've always had great luck due to the super-helpful and knowledgeable people that frequent that forum. But I've never posted a Moth before.

So far, I haven't received any responses (it's been a week) which made me wonder if that might not be the best place. So, I thought I'd try here in the hopes a knowledgeable Moth person might be milling about.

I tried to remove some of the yellowing from the pic caused by incandescent lighting in the room, but there may still be a touch, possibly affecting the color of the Moth slightly.

Oh, one more thing...though I never measured it, I believe it was around 2" wide from wing-tip to wing-tip (+ or -).

Big Thanks in advance for any help.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2013 11:00 AM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

N.A.N. I too have seen those moths before, but have no idea what they're called. Hope someone here recognizes the beauty.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Kim!
I just got some responses today on my other thread in the Insect ID forum. So far nothing definitive, but still very interesting.

Here's the link to my original thread I posted a week ago. Since you may have also seen these moths you might enjoy the posts.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1326656/

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Try cutworm moth
clover hayworm moth
Sheepsmoth I am not good with these kind of pics for ID I think you know that , but one of these is the family it belongs to , A place to do some more looking anyway

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks juhur! I'll look at those.
You might also enjoy the posts on my other thread in the ID forum. Flapdoodle, who has identified several insects for me in the past, had some interesting info about why some moths can be difficult to ID.

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Hey Nutsaboutnature, going through my moth book I came across your moth, Barberry Geometer. It meets the description in "Peterson - Field Guide to Moths of Northeastern America" Also examples at Moth Photographers Group site http://mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/species.php?hodges=7290

I adjusted your pic using Irfanview which is a free program via internet and the moth exhibits orange coloration and markings of Barberry Geometer.

Happy Gardening

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Awesome Ivy, thanks for the info. Happy spring to all.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Ivy!
That's so cool! I really appreciate the time you took.

Sorry I took so long to respond. I haven't been visiting DG for a while. It's so easy to get tied up in all the other things that I should be doing, especially with all the snow we've had this Winter.

Anyway, it looks like Spring is finally on it's way. I've got a lot of catching up to do in DG!

Happy Spring.

Hi Kim!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.