Galvanized Garden

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

Don't know if this is the best place to post this but I wanted to share this idea.
I potted all my larger part-sun succulents in these galvanized containers.
The deer decided they were canned food and starting eating them. So in an attempt at getting them away from the deer I decided to "float" the pots above the ivy on this hillside.
I used plastic pots with a piece of pvc placed in the middle then I filled the pots with cement.
These were then mounted on 2 foot pieces of rebar pounded into the hillside, making a little pedestal for the pot. I like the look and you can see it from the landing above.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee Thumbnail by Domehomedee
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Good idea, Dee. I like the look of galvanized metal and tin in the garden ... buckets, pails troughs, anything really. I have old galvanized watering cans. Luv those.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

You are so clever Dee. Lovely place you have. We need to see more great ideas.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Will the deer avoid the ivy? Does moving them there help discourage the deer?

This is in an area of the yard the deer just have never had an interest in. It's a small sheltered area with the house on one side and the steep hill is like 8 foot from the house. Our deer are pretty lazy, if it's in their path they will eat it but they won't jump even a 4 foot fence. There are some things in the yard I just let them browse on, like the geraniums. I love the wildlife, it's hard to get mad at a baby deer or a little bunny. Yesterday there was a little mouse eating the birdseed that fell from the feeder. I think he lives in that ivy by the galvanized garden. The only wildlife I really have any animosity towards are the gophers, little sneak thieves.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

smart way to place pots on the slope!

Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL(Zone 7b)

Love this idea... I have lots of steep hills on my property.

You have such great ideas and I love your deck!!!

Decatur, GA

The burgundy plants (the name escapes me at the moment) in the first picture are really nice. People in the cactus and succulent forum would love to see those up close.
I like your galvanized garden containers on the slope but it seems if the deer want those plants they could easily get them. There must be lots to eat in your neck of the woods. ^_^

Sorry for the strange post. Long day...lol

This message was edited Sep 23, 2013 9:06 PM

helenchild - Our deer are lazy, LOL. This area is in an area we call the "Sculpture Garden", it has a 3 foot fence around it and is mostly this hillside and the little flat area above. Most of my fenced areas are 4 foot wire fences and this seems to keep them out. We live in a California live oak forest with lots of brush on one side of the canyon and trees and ferns on the other. They seem to manage pretty good without my plants most of the time, but they come in for water and nibble on anything good on their way in and out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.