Thalictrum "Splendide" can take good sun

(Zone 4b)

I have an established Thalictrum "Splendide" which I think does well in a somewhat shady location. But I came across an outstanding specimen (in someone else's garden) planted in full sun.

So last August 2012, I put in another "Splendide" in a full sun location. So this season is its first full year in this aspect.

It has done just fine this summer. Surprisingly it has not needed much supplemental water. And I am hoping it will become fuller and more floriferous in subsequent years.

Here are a few shots of this plant in our garden.

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

That's good news! I have one ready to plant but just can't figure out where. Shade options are limited, sun options are better. Thanks for the info.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow -- that is stunning -- I hadn't heard of that plant.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I am installing a Dublin Bay Climbing rose on a trellis in full sun in spring. What a smashing combo that would make!

I remember you posting this gorgeous thing, but can you tell me how tall and wide it gets? I have had thalictrum rochebrunianum and thalictrum aquilegifolium 'Sparkler' but this looks bigger.

Then I have to find out where to get it!

(Zone 4b)

Yes I have posted (too many times?) about this plant in the past. I love it.

The one pictured is about 8 feet tall with flowers and definitely under...18" wide.

(I am embarrassed to say that the one I have in too much shade is easily 10 feet tall with flowers! But with this height the top few feet, the section with flowers, has flopped over and is now horizontal! I will post a picture of it tomorrow.)

The only drawback of this plant is that for sure it needs staking. It helps if you put the stake(s) in the ground in the spring before you need might need them.

It is so easy to find space for it as it grows almost all vertically. I know this seems counter intuitive but consider planting it closer rather than further back in your bed as the delicate flowers and not dense foliage allows for such a placement.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2013 9:22 AM

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh gosh. It's PERFECT!!!!!

Here is my Dublin Bay from years ago.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/265887/

It grows 8-10 feet tall, and will be in full sun. The trellis is the right width. I'm installing the rose in spring. The bed that it is in has all pink, purple, blue and white flowers and roses.

Thank you!

This message was edited Aug 5, 2013 5:07 AM

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Wow. That is really beautiful. I've never had one but I think that may change.....

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It was actually my first rose. I was looking for something thta was a "mannerly" rose to grow up a chimney. I must have looked at 50 roses. It is a huge seller in Europe, and so easy that when asked by my inlaws for a red rose this was it and they compliment me every time. Easy peasy. Low care. Not too big, not too wide, not too thorny. And, unusually for a red (something no one ever mentions) the flowers don't fade to some ugly color. Completely disease resistant, winter hearty and the flowers are gorgeous. Hybridized by Sam McGredy of Ireland and Australia. It has been called the best red rose in the world.

Only flaw? No scent.

(Zone 4b)

Quote from rouge21 :

(I am embarrassed to say that the one I have in too much shade is easily 10 feet tall with flowers! But with this height the top few feet, the section with flowers, has flopped over and is now horizontal! I will post a picture of it tomorrow.)

See the pink "mist" at the back corner (just in front of the "Lucy" tree standard hibiscus)?

This particular "Splendide" is 10 feet tall with the top two feet (the flowers), bent very much to the right. (I ran out of tall enough stakes!)

EDIT: I have included a close-up of this same "Splendide". It is too vigorous in this location. (I had to cut out a main branch a few weeks earlier as it had broken due to the lack of support. There would have been many more flowers otherwise.)

This message was edited Aug 8, 2013 7:26 PM

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images