Starting lupine seeds?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Is now a good time to start lupine seeds so they can be ready to plant before winter (I am in 7b NC, and our winters are normally very mild), or should I wait until spring?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

My garden is in Maine, where lupine grows wild and plenteously, so I'm not sure my thoughts will help. But the new lupines start to grow about now, soon after the seeds have dropped. I did, however, read just the other day that a good rule of thumb is that most flower seeds won't germinate if there is a long stretch (a week or more??) of 80+ weather. So maybe in NC it's better to wait til spring?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You can start them now and they will flower for you next year.

When we do the chipping in the fall many seeds fall to the earth and grow there as you can see in the first photo. They don't require deep planting. We've lost many that I planted in spots that remain too damp. They prefer it more dry than wet.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl

Sorry, LAS, we cross posted as I was searching for photos.

I hadn't heard that about the heat and the germination but they do seem to begin their journey during the winter and spring to life quickly in April and most do bloom in late May.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I always collect and stratify a few to grow , mine did not bloom this year , big old plant though . (Lupine perennis)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thx! Prl, are your temps in the 80s right now? I started the biggest batch inside, but I would like to move them outside.

Our temp's are 75 to 80 now and it looks like they'll stay in that range. Why not put the seeds out in shade with only very early morning sun for awhile. See how they do.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from pirl :
Our temp's are 75 to 80 now and it looks like they'll stay in that range. Why not put the seeds out in shade with only very early morning sun for awhile. See how they do.

Never mind...I am under too much stress. I have pansy/viola seeds inside. My lupine seeds are outside. Thx!

As long as they're outside they should do very well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.