New 'Cheyenne Spirit' purchase

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Got a great deal on these Cheyenne Spirit coneflowers at Walmart. They were $5.77 a piece. I would have bought more if they would have had more! ;o)

Anyone have any experience with their hardiness? I'm hoping they come back! If they do I will plant an entire area with these beauties. I can't believe they have different colors on the same plant! Kinda reminds me of what a zinnia bed looks like. That would be GREAT!!!

Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Athens, PA

Very pretty colors. Let us know what happens in the spring when they should be coming back.

Our Walmart got rid of all of their plants last month. :(

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Yeah, Carolyn. I love the colors too. It's especially great that they are different colors on the same plant. That is amazing! If they come back (please, pretty please, come back) I'll be buying many more of these to plant around different areas of my large gardens. I just wish I didn't have to wait until NEXT spring to find out. ;o( Oh well....

I'll update next spring though to let you know if they show up. :O) Wish me luck!

Anyone else grow these and know if they return?

Sherry

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

they are hardy in zones 4-9. wayside gardens is having a sale on them now

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I saw these recently at my Giant Food store and they were so pretty but i didn't buy them, as I had not read up or seen anything about this variety. I have not purchased any new perennials this year but I wanted to buy more Pow Wow Wild Berry variety but not got around to it. Hoping to collect seeds from the two plants I have now. That is if the birds don't get them first! Going away for a few days on Sunday so won't get to collect them until after Tuesday. Hope they will still be there!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

LAST WEEL I BOUGHT ONE AT LOWES 19.99. TODAY 3 WERE ON THE DEAD RACK FOR 3 DOLLARS AND THEY WERE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING DEAD. THE DEIDN'T EVEN NEED WATER. THEY NOW SIT IN MY GARDEN

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Cheyenne Spirit is a new introduction this year, It is reported to be the first echi that will bloom the first year from seed available from Johnnys, Parks, etc. Start indoors in Feb.

Winter sowing?

All of my $7 pots have two plants so I may attempt to divide. Love the description of a 'field of Zinnias' That's just what I thought!

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
Athens, PA

Gorgeous Cole - would they come true to seed? I know some do and some do not.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Just thought I'd share something with all of you all. The butterflies lived on my Magnus coneflowers this summer and the tall garden phlox planted behind it. Sometimes there were as many as 6 or 8 fluttering about. It was fascinating to watch. The coneflowers have been there all along but have never seen them until this past summer.

If I'm not mistaken, I picked up this tips on coneflowers from the "Mr. Brown Thumb" blog, who lives in the Chicago area if my memory serves me right. He has a great blog, telling how to harvest or gather seeds of certain flowers, how to sow the seeds,etc. I "think" he showed that when he cuts off the dried stem of his favorite coneflowers, he plants that dried seed pod with the stem sticking up . While cutting off all my seed pods from my coneflower plants, I decided to try his method. Did one 4 in. pot and by golly, I have green leaves that have popped up. Hopefully, they will continue to grow and I can get them transferred into the ground before first frost appears. Shucks, I don't see why that wouldn't work for wintersowing in milk jugs. I'll keep an eye out on that one pot and report back. I need to cut off my seed pods from my two plants of Pow Wow Wild Berry coneflower and try with those seeds.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Well. it's another spring already here and I was out looking for my Cheyenne Spirit coneflowers. Dang, I can't remember where I planted them. I think it was one of those, "I'll remember where I planted these for sure moments." LOL I really should have used my tags on them because I really loved them and wanted to see if they made it through the winter. I have several new coneflowers growing but I didn't tag all of them. :( I guess I'll just have to wait until they bloom. I have several new Hot Summer up with buds all over them. And my Solar Flare are doing great and the color looks like it is going to be amazing! Can't wait to see what they all turn out to be. At least it looks like I am going to have lots of beautiful coneflowers this year...just have to wait for the surprise of which they are. I am so hoping for the Cheyenne Spirit though because I LOVED the different colors all on the same plant. How cool is that!!

East Uniontown, PA

Good luck with the Cheyenne spirit!!.....I am in Pa., and some of my others are really starting to bloom....I have close to 30 varieties.....Took some time, but I finally did it.....My favorite is "Pica Bella!.....Also love "Green envy" and "Green eyed jewel!".....Never thought "Tomato Soup" would survive, but it did!....."Now Cheesier" is just about ready to full bloom....Saw two new varieties at a nursery yesterday, and might pick them up tom......Not sure, but I think one is "Nathan Saul!"....A biggie!.....Planted 5, 6 "lilliputs" in mass last year, and they all came through....Nice short cuties!.....Got "Kim's knee high" and it has tons ready to bloom.....Whenever I hear of a new series " I wait till the following year.....Actually have 2 beds because there are so many,,,,lol....Best of luck and I'll post some pics when they're going crazy blooming which won't be long.....Actually split a "coconut lime" and a "Magnus" then planted them together.....They are ready to go too.....That's a way to get multi colors....lol!.....The pics I have here are from last year!

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

We need those pics!!

East Uniontown, PA

I posted 5 pics when I registered.....They showed for the first 2,3 messages.....Then gone now...Now, just posted 5!!!!.....See what happens!!!!..

Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

They are beautiful

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Wow kingconeflower,
Those are beautiful. It's sounds like your gardens are lovely with all the different varieties. Keep the pictures coming. I'll have to get some of mine too. ;) Still haven't found the Cheyenne Spirit coneflowers I planted because none of them are multi-colored yet. ;( But I have several that are looking great. Love my Southern Bell and the Solar Flare color is gorgeous! My Hot Papaya are all doing well too along with the Hot Summer. I'll definitely get some photos. Have several other varieties too.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Well, finally took some pictures of a few of my coneflowers. Here are 4 of them:

1. Hot Summer
(looking very nice so far, think I'm going to like them and they all made it through the winter and look nice and healthy and sturdy)

2. Solar Flare (love, love the vibrant color over dark stems, gorgeous in person and seem to be sturdy, vigorous plants)

3. Southern Belle (like this one a lot also, very pretty pink, but wish they were thicker plants....maybe after a while, but still love them)

4. Irresistible
(I really like the flower, but not sure how hardy they are going to be...out of 6 plants only have 2 that returned and they are not very bushy, but hope they make it because they are so pretty....but they were pretty small when planted)

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl Thumbnail by Sherrygirl Thumbnail by Sherrygirl Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
East Uniontown, PA

Just curious Sherry.....How are things turning out with your coneflowers?....Those were nice pics....Funny thing about the "Cheyenne Spirit!".....I think sometimes with them it's a grab bag....The other day at Lowe's they had about 10 of them in bloom, and ALL were single colored....Mostly off white....My daughter-in-law called me and said at Home Depot, an hour away, they had them multi-colored....Mine has two colors as on the pic I posted....Good luck and I hope all of yours turn out beautiful....Waiting for just one more to bloom, then I'll make final post of Garden one....Got the biggest Double Decker I ever had!

Thumbnail by kingconeflower
Natick, MA

Pippi thx for sharing the tip on planting the whole seed head with stem! Did you dothat inside in a pot or? Love all the gorgeous coneflowers...I only have a couple in my front garden and preparing large area for gardening in back.....more sun (I like flowers more than grass!) I bought a sombrero coneflower at walmart and loved that it had different colors on same plant: orange salmon and yellow. But the majority af the blooms since I bought it over a month and a half ago seem to be pinks! Next year some fancy/mulicolored coneflowers are definitely on my list! Do most of you start your new species with seeds or go for the plants?
PS ireally enjoy seeing all your gorgeous photos!

Rochester, NY(Zone 6a)

Tried planting a seed head of pink Prima Donna in a pot last fall and now have about 30-35 healthy looking seedlings almost in a single clump. This week I carefully teased them apart transplanted most into small pots and gave them a drink of compost tea. Hope to get a good crop to add to my butterfly garden. With all the new bright colored coneflowers has anyone noticed butterflies attracted most to any one color? I've direct seeded Cheyenne Spirit this year as well.

Chesterfield, VA

Hi,
2 weeks I went to Lowes and I saw these magnificent cone flowers, with big bloom of different vibrant colors. They stole my heart there and then. I bought 5 Cheyenne Spirit, 3.5 gallons each, without knowing anything about them... Unfortunately there isn't much info about winterizing these plants, specially in pots. Many say that the new hybrids are somewhat fussier than the original hardy cone flowers. Most information out there is somewhat vague. One thing I have learned from the short time I have them is that they are prone to fungus, dislike shade a whole lot and over watering. In my research I found a neat little site, where I read that by cutting those gorgeous blooms, stem included, I would have a lot more chances of successfully keep them alive, during winter, though dormant. This made sense to me, at the time. So I cut down the flowers, stems included, in hopes of improving the root system, by redirecting the energy that was going to be spent in making seed and more flowers to the roots. Well, the results were not good. The plants became limp, almost lifeless, immediately after cutting them. I am extremely mad at myself for possibly having damaged my plants a lot.
I sprayed them yesterday with Organocide and some rooting hormone in hopes to perk them up and help them develop new roots. They seem to have liked it a bit, because they have perked up some, but they are still not the as vigorous as before.
I need help! What can I do to salvage them? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images