Jackie's panduratas please share your photos here #2

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh that's great to hear about the passion vines, I have some of Jackies passion vines growing too, three pots full.. I love it. My turtles are posting lots of passion vine fruits, my dogs acquired the taste for them too, so we all eat them, there are hundreds of fruits too. I don't have any on the other two passion vine though. I only have a few mgs going now, blue dawn, maybe a wedding bells, a tuberous mgs, and purpureas that I've been pulling out like crazy.

A.

Gautier, MS

A. at first when the passion seedlings started to come up, I didn't recognize them until they grew some and started showing their regular leaves. It would be nice to get their fruits but I think our summers are not long enough for them to produce fruit.

I'm glad to hear you still have your blue dawn, wedding bells is special too. Purpureas can be a problem. I'm containing my purpureas to one to a pot.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Sorry your pandys aren't blooming up a storm for you there A. Since Helenas aren't either, I;m beginning to suspect they resent the warmer temps in both locations. Just a guess though
as I don't know what temps they prefer. I just know they don't like very cool temps because as
soon as the night temps start dropping below 60 here, they go dormant and disappear underground
I;m glad your maypop passion vine sds sprouted for you and that you're enjoying the fruit already. Mine aren't blooming yet. :-(
We wish you were still growing MG's A and miss your posts and mg pics.

Thumbnail by patootie Thumbnail by patootie

Helena, I usually get lots of blooms and fruits on the maypop passion vines, but not
yet this summer. I think it was the horrible cold winter and took too long for everything to catch up.
Your summers are longer than mine so you should get flowers and fruits too. if you don't, might
be because you had an extra cold winter too and that messed up their natural cycle. Just speculating

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh, my maypops are just babies right now. But the incarnata have been full of fruit fit months now. They stay evergreen here each year. The maypop doesn't. How strange. Anyway , my maypops are just babies tight now. I think her kens is talking about the incarnatas also. I don't know if they bloom first year.

I'm cooking most of the day for a going away luncheon at DNS work , I made two huge pasta salad containers, a huge pot of Green chili stew, chocolate cake, and a container of banana pudding. I'm tired already. I just need the cake now.. Lol. I hope others are cooking too.plus DH us ordering lots of pizzas.

I'm glad I get to stay homemade I don't care for luncheons too much.

I'll try to take photos of my blue dawn, it climbed up the confederate rose stems and the other two are climbing on to an arbor.

A.

A, I should have realized the maypops are still babies. They might bloom for you and Helena next yr.
I think maypop is one of the parents of incarnata.
Please send pics of your Blue Dawn when you can.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

None of my maypop seeds came up.. I have some other passion vines, but they are not blooming yet..

Deb, Its not easy to germinate the passion vine seeds, at least not for me. Yours should sprout though as they're from the same batch of fruit as A's. You might try bottom heat.
M Hudsons catalog always used to recommend a day or two at 120 degrees.
Mabe we can plant the sds and then stick pot and all out in the hot sun, that should raise the temp to over 120 degrees. :-)
A, how did you germinate your maypop seeds??

Mesilla Park, NM

Jackies, I just divided them into three pots and stirred them in. I think the to secret passionvine seed is to germinate the seed when they are fresh, not even washed. Right out of the seed pod. That was the reason I asked for whole fruits. I noticed that the whole fruits that fell off the incarnatas right into my raised beds were germinating like crazy. I won't purchase anymore pv seeds anymore, they wash and dry them really good, you don't know how long they gave been dried. Washing them off dies something to them.

You're right A. I've heard that leaving that pulpy stuff on the sds helps them to germinate.
No wonder its so hard for me to germinate the pv sds I purchase, just a waste of money for
me every time.

Well, I'd love a may pop just to plant opposite my porcelain vine on the arbor..
here is my pandy, on the makeshift fence thing where the arbor USED to be off the patio..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Beautiful pandy blooms Debra and your pics are just great, love that 1st one.

Gautier, MS

Hey A. my pandy finally started to blooms a slow start but better than not at all.

Also wanted to show you my seedlings of the passion vines. I was wondering if I should separate them or just transplant them into bigger pots?

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena glad your pandy is blooming now. Worth the wait.
I love your 2nd pic with the sun shining thru the trees on your vine.

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi Helena , good to see your Pandy blooming. Mine too, has only a few flowers, maybe when it cools down some it will have more buds. As for your passie seedlings, I think I would plant the whole pot and not take them apart, unless you use super thrive and keep them potted up in the shade. I lose so many small plants because they hate their roots being disturbed. I have three pots full and I'm hoping some are the white incarnata . I won't know till next year when they bloom. I may just keep them in the pots till then. The butterflies already found these hidden pots.

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

I can't remember the name of this one, but for some reason it is hardier than my blue maypop. Thus stays evergreen here in zone 7/8, and I have three really thick older plants plus several younger plants, the three older plants cover over 100 feet of cattle panel tunnels. Do you guys know the name of this one? For some reason I can't think of it for the life of me.

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Gautier, MS

Hi A. Your passion vines look great too. I wish I knew the name of the last one but I'm not familiar with it.

I did transplant my smallest pot of passion vines without separating them. One or two of baby vines in the other pot have not made so I'm not going to mess with their roots just transplant them into bigger pots when they grow a bit.

You know I had sown the seeds into pots right after I got them and left them outside the whole winter. So when I had seedlings coming up I didn't remember that they were from the passion vine seeds until they started to get their true leaves.

I had the red one bloom today again, growing and making buds since I transplanted and training it to go up the trellis off my front patio. This bloom is from the other day.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Mesilla Park, NM

I remember, p. Caruela , I sent you both the P. caruela and Temptation fruits. The fruits I got from Jackie were for incarnata.

Deborah, my one purplish maypop just came up about a month ago. I'm so surprised at the caruela that stays evergreen here and I'm thinking it is hardier than the maypop.

Gautier, MS

I was driving on my road home when I spotted Pandy's growing along the road so I had to stop and take pictures. Funny how they can grow in the wild better than in my garden.

In the same area I saw Ironweed, there was so many of those purple pretty flowers and another yellow wild flower bloom, I think if I remember will go back for seeds in a few weeks. I do like wildflowers!

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena now you are sounding like me..LOL that cassia is beautiful. I have a kansas version growing on the south side of the house.. but it is a senna instead of a cassia. you will love them. I love anything wild. My iron weed did not make a show this year, so I will also be gathering seeds soon from the country. I am very pleased that my pandy has seed pods.. Yay!

I love the Cassias too. There used to be lovely Sennas growing near my local $ store.
I need to look for them.

Gautier, MS

Debra, I have quite often collected seeds of flowers I like along the road in the past. I've even had my son dig up an orange red cassia from a ditch close to where he lived years ago. I loved those blooms but the small tree only lasted a couple of years. I still have seeds from it though. They grow wild here on some places along the road.

I love the Ironweed too. I only have one, it's just not fair the ones along the road are growing so good, mine is in too much shade. I know the ones on the empty lot eventually will be mowed down if they ever decide to build a house there.

Jackie, I will look for seeds from the ones from here. I can send you some too. I think I started one too. The seeds need to be nicked and soaked for easier germination. I started seeds of calliandra, powder puff too, I'm really hoping they will germinate too.

bump...
finally, I have this beautiful plant coming back to me every year..now I know it needs it's own climbing space..and have seen three leaders off the ground so we are re-doing this grow area.It is on the edge of the north said of the cement patio, which with all the earthquakes and weater, is now needing to be re-done. Perfect opportunity to give this plant a real rail trellis. can't have the north fence, the neighbors really don't like the mess that my morning glory vines gives them. North fence is too shady. Dog-run fence has gold flame, halls japonica honeysukles, with , wisteria and madame galen trumpet vine. Somehow, the sweet pea manages to get a few blooms in the corner. My goal is always to surround myself with the beautiful morning glory. I am going to cut a piece off and see if I can get it to root.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

july 31st, August 9, August 12, August 14,

Debra, Your pandy is beautiful, great pics too.
Beside the fact mine has the virus, its needing to be
downsized some. Not quite sure how I'm going to do or exactly what I
need to do.
I hope you can root it,. Let me know how you did it if it roots for you,.

Gautier, MS

Beautiful blooms on your Pandy Debra.

I noticed that mine is sending a runner in search of a better location with sun. I think I have too much shade in my backyard. A big tree there and white Clerodendrum bushes that the hummers and butterflies like.

I saw the Pandy on the road Sunday with loads of blooms but didn't stop to take pics.
I'm glad yours is doing so well Debra.

Helena and Debra, strange how mine was fine for 6 yrs and then got the virus which is carrying over the last 3 yrs. I think I need to dig the big tuber up and maybe plant it down in the woods
and start over with a new one to see what happens. Its too prolific here I guess really liking this climate.

Jackie, I think if you dig up the tuber, you will still have a piece left in the ground and it would still come up. I see the farmers mowing, plowing along the roadsides when I travel, and go by the next year and there they are again. If the leaves are ugly, so what as long as the flowers are pretty, in the wild, no one sees anything but the blooms. I know the bees sure love them.

My vines have holes in the leaves from that shiny beetle, and also from the birds, they do peck off the bugs off of all my plants, and that is okay with me.
I tried to untangle the main pandy mess, but it is too dense. I hate to cut it back, but there are flowers under the leaves trying to bloom. I don't know what to do!
I also have other mgs growing together and boy what a chore, next year I am doing it all different, course I say that every year. The seeds I stuck into the edge of the bean patch are up and vining already in just a couple weeks. Now I wish they were in pots. *sigh*

Debra, I know I would have tons of pandy left to grow again next yr even if I take out the big tuber. So much greenery it chokes out everything.
Its definitely a thug. I like it anyway and can't stand the idea of not having one on the fence
My vines are so tangled it will make sd gathering a nightmare, already is. The worst of it happened right after my surgery and I had to just let it happen. Afraid I would poke
my eye out on a bamboo stick.

Thumbnail by patootie

beautiful! I am glad you didn't get your eye hurt , then.. I might just let them go and trim them a lot next year.

Deb, I might just have DH cut the offshoots down with the lawnmower and just let'the main stems grow. Mine has been in the ground for 9 yrs so thats why its huge. You may not'have to cut yours back for a few yrs. Look how far mine has spread from all the runners. 2013 pic

Thumbnail by patootie

holy moly! LOL well I am home today so managed to cut some purps out of the huge pile of pandys. I have repeat vines so am trying to just get one vine of each going on back there..

Glad you got some work done today on your day off.
We got a good downpour so some help with my watering chores,.

still putting out

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Love your pandy blooms Debra. Mine made its last blooms This past Tues. Might have lasted
longer if it hadn't been for the virus. Just tired of fighting it,

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.