Time to voice your opinion on what columns to keep/drop

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Currently when you view the summary of your own journal, the following columns appear:

Common name
Cultivar
Genus
Species
Status
Entries
Actions

If you view someone else's journal, you see the same columns, plus a column on the far left titled RID, which also contains a thumbnail size photo if the journaler added a photo to that entry. Because of that column, the final right-hand column is cut off.

So...we need to choose a column/field to delete from both your personal view and the public view of your journal (they should match.)

I propose we delete "Entries" because it only serves to indicate how many entries you've made within that item - there's nothing particularly useful about that column to the journal-keeper or anyone viewing it.

But I want to hear from those of you who actively use your journal.

Please vote by making a single post here in this thread: you can vote to remove the "Entries" column, or suggest a different column to delete - if you change your mind, please edit your original post.

Simple majority will win out. Deadline for casting your vote is August 31, 2013.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

entries gets my vote

But can you please rearrange list so it makes correct botanically used standard. Thanks, Patti

Genus, species, cultivar.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

ditto

I like the order that the columns are in now. I guess if you have to sacrifice something, I'd say the common name. The most important view for me is of my own journal. After all the effort I've put into my journal this whole process is very disappointing.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2013 2:14 PM

echoes, I think you're mixing up two columns. The entries column only contains a number - 0, 1, 2, etc.

The RID column contains the photos, and that is what we dropped, but are re-adding. However, we are dealing with a fixed and finite amount of space, and the columns cannot be compressed any more, so a column has to "go" in order to bring that column back.

I know what the entries column has. So the purpose of losing a column is to put back the photos column in our personal view of our journal?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

that is my understanding and I am all for it.. I couldn't care less how many entries I have, but I would be sad to lose any other columns. However, I would chose the photo column over almost any of them (except genus and species).

Yes, that is correct - the column that contains photos is the "RID" column and will return once we are prepared to give up another column, and unless I hear otherwise by Saturday, we will proceed with targeting the entries column and bringing back the RID column (with photos.)

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 9b)

I need the photo column!

OK, then I will edit my answer.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Terry. So what did you decide to eliminate? When do you hope to activate the charge that will make our Photo's magically return? Anxious Journal user. Patti

From the sound of things, the entries column will go and the RID column will return. I'll file the change request first thing tomorrow and I'll let you know as soon as we have an ETA from the techs.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the update. Very pleased and as everything else is working for me, I am quite content with DG. Patti

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Terry, thank you for this. I've been struggling to update my journal because I relied on the pictured in the RID column so much. Hope we have an ETA soon!

We should have one soon - I have outlined what we'd like for the techs to add/drop and as soon as we can review it on a staging platform, we'll make sure it is what you-all said you wanted. Thanks for the input!

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 9b)

So when are the picture coming back? I really need them!

As far as I know, it should be part of the next release. I don't yet have a date.

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

I'm really looking forward to this - the loss of the RID column with the photo has made my journal unusable and I haven't been around Dave's for over a month as a consequence.

Once the tech's have fixed this, can we have a new voting thread to change the sequence of the three plant name columns to Genus - Species - Cultivar. I'd like to know how many Journal users would be in favour of this change. I often use copy and paste to put plant names accurately into my writing, because my hands tend to shake over the keyboard and I find it very easy to make typing errors - every time I do this copying from my journal for a plant with a cultivar name, I have to stop and re-arrange the order of the words, ARGGH!

I am not in favour of dropping Common Name, simply because I am using it to record my personal plant collection codes. I am probably one of the people on here who thrashes their Journal to within an inch of it's life, so I have had to re-purpose some parts of it to get as much functionality as I could within the limits of the existing system. I will miss "Entries" a little bit as it was a quick way to see which plants needed more information, but I CAN live without it if the pictures and RID come back.

I am showing first a picture of part of one of my Journal Categories and second an individual plant record, and third an entry from that record so you can see the kind of use I have been making of my journal. I freely admit I've got many more photos than I've managed to put up so far, but I'm hoping to amend that over time.

Ciao, KK.
when the photos come back

Thumbnail by Kaelkitty Thumbnail by Kaelkitty Thumbnail by Kaelkitty
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Kaelkitty, I have been begging for this change for years. Latest one, but only one of many of my request for this improvement. Patti

Quoting:
bbrookrd
nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9636038

Edit

entries gets my vote

But can you please rearrange list so it makes correct botanically used standard. Thanks, Patti

Genus, species, cultivar.

And it looks like the changes rolled in last night - the RID column contains your photos and the columns are rearranged to show cultivar after genus and species.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I am too excited to look. Too good to be true. I guess I will go see if this is real. If so, biggest hugs for the changes. Patti

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Whawhoooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Best thing ever for my DG Journal. Thanks so much Terry. Patti

Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!! I've just got into the office and seen the new layout. Thank you all, especially you Terry for putting up with us, and the techs for doing all the hard stuff at the back end.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the techs as I know what it is like to have to mess around with old code. I am still maintaining and using my old DOS database that I began in 1988! MY biggest problem is sourcing equipment it will work with - especially wide carriage dot matrix printers, because it is hard-coded for that kind of output. ARRGH!

Ciao, KK.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Terry, The photo's don't show up when looking at Journal entries when using Access by Status which they use to if my memory is correct. Patti

Hmmm. Are we sure they appeared there before? I can go back to the techs to add it, but I'm just curious as to whether they were there prior. (I didn't add photos to my journal - in fact, we didn't have that capability when I started mine), so I don't really know :-)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Terry, Pretty sure that we use to be able to see photo's in Access by Status as I often go to what I have as a status that I call "arrived" so I can see those plants just before planting and then I sort by location to make sure that they all look good together in a particular bed. Pattj

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Still not have photographs appearing in the Access by Status which I greatly miss. Any thoughts about fixing this? Patti

Patti, fixes are released in batches. As soon as I know when they will be including this one, I will let you know :-).

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Great, just wasn't sure it had made a list of fixes. Thanks ever so much, Patti

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

When you clone an item in your journal and bring over all previous entries, only the first picture for an entry is included. Do you know if this is on a future fix list?

Presently it is not on a list for fixes. Dumb question (because I have never had multiple photos in my journal entries)...did they come over with the cloned entry prior to now?

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

All my previous clones I checked were done with only 1 pic per entry, so I don't know if this is a new or existing issue. I still think it needs a fix. :)

When you clone an entry, don't you change the species or cultivar? If not, can you tell me why you clone the entry? And if you are cloning to create a new entry for a closely related plant, would the photos from the original entry need to be cloned also?

I'm thinking the cloning function may have never cloned any subsequent photos...but if there are reasons why it should and/or examples of when it did do that, I'm open to them.

Terry,
You can clone an entry for many reasons - sometimes you have more than one of the same plant and you want to start another entry for a specimen in a different place in the garden or category in your Journal. I can see someone doing this for Annual plants, especially vegetables - eg Borlotti Beans in Vegie Garden 2011, then Vegie Garden 2012, Vegie Garden 2013 etc - I always start a new category for Annual Flowers each year, because I want an easy way to get to the list of active entries for the year I am in, and the old ones become a record of what I grew in that year.
I can't speak to the behavior of pictures though, I always choose clone with no pictures.

Ciao, KK.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I clone with pictures all the time. I do it if I have divided a plant and move the division to a different bed. I change the date and location of the plant and I make a note in the information space as to my action.

I also use the clone feature if I buy another plant that is already in the garden and when I clone it, I change the price information and date and location and the vendor if different in the newly cloned entry.

All very useful. Patti

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

In the past, I've usually cloned journal items when dividing specimen plants or moving several of a plant grouping to a new location. All old cloned items had individual pics per entry, so it was fine. In this instance, some of my plants had babies this year. The original item has multiple baby pics that I wanted to follow the new entry, which is just for the babies that I moved to their own bed.

Okay - I see how you're using the cloning in a way I wouldn't have thought of. But I'm still thinking if I grow the same tomatoes or beans each year, and want separate entries for each year, my photos would be specific to that year's crop. If you've moved divisions of plants to different areas, those photos would also be unique and specific to each new "baby" plant.

Aside from the practical application, I'm not sure that from a technical standpoint, this would be easy to do...probably it would be easier to just upload the photos a second time.

@ Terry, not if they are photographs of the back and the front of the seed packet, LOL!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Terry, Hope this fix is still in the works, as I am very much lost when planting bulbs without seeing photos of the bulbs or plants to be planted on the print out of the new entries that I have made. Since the update when I sort the list by the beds that I am planting, I only have a list which is far less helpful then always before when I was able to see a photo next to the entry. I could tell at a glance what looked good with the other new ones in a specific bed. I need my visual reference back if at all possible. I am just now planting all the 3 or 4 thousand bulbs we have for next spring, so I am a tad at a loss to not have my normal printout with photos to help me with the placement of the new bulbs in specific beds. But I will survive this, but hope this fix is in the works for the new year. I am late getting all our bulbs in the ground this year by a week, but all will be good if I have the next 3 days above freezing to auger and dibble away. Best to you in the New Year. Patti

Quoting:
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2013
5:12 PM

Post #9686608

Edit

Still not have photographs appearing in the Access by Status which I greatly miss. Any thoughts about fixing this? Patti

Terry
Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9686685

Patti, fixes are released in batches. As soon as I know when they will be including this one, I will let you know :-).

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Patti, I thought this one had already been fixed and confirmed. I don't have photos in my journal, so I'll have to do some research.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images