anyone know if this is a butterfly caterpillar?

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

My husband and daughter think this is a moth caterpillar - I am hoping for a butterfly - anyone?

Thumbnail by memays
Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

It may be a yellow-striped armyworm.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/30135/bgimage

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

I second the armyworm. Sure looks like one to me.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Southern army worm, moth, skeletonizer, look for a spider webbingcovering the backside on leaves and you will see em hatchin by the dozens...

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Yuck. And after I posted they seem to be tromping all over the streets of the subdivision on some grand mission. Oh well. The good, the bad and the ugly I suppose. Maybe some day my own b-fly garden will get beyond nectaring pretties to babies........

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Don't feel bad, I feel like all I raise is cats and never see an adult...

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

If you plant it, they will come. "Field of Dreams" paraphrased.

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

They DO come! Last spring I got a great deal on a mature milkweed (incarnata)at a nursery and also planted the regular butterflyweed and asc. syriaca seeds, from some wild clumps i found the previous fall. I had a couple lantanas, mixed zinnias and a little joe pye weed plant, and some dill. It took me a while to get the plants in the ground so i had low expectations for my butterfly garden. Not 2 weeks after planting the milkweed(incarnata) i saw those distinctive monarch caterpillars! I guess while it was in its pot, waiting to be planted, eggs were laid. I took 2 inside and left the other 6 on the plant. Both did well and i was able to watch the whole process, then release the butterflies.
I am now on the hunt for a spicebush, and pipevine to add to my butterfly host plants. Oh, and fennel and a pawpaw tree, and......and......and......

If you build it, they will come- and you will be hooked.

Thumbnail by scarletbean Thumbnail by scarletbean Thumbnail by scarletbean Thumbnail by scarletbean Thumbnail by scarletbean
Glen Burnie, MD

Scarlet - don't forget the parsley & rue! A couple of the local garden places know me very well. They'll see me skulking around the herbs, looking for ones with eggs or cats on them already - then of course I HAVE to buy em! Gives me a head start.

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, yeah, they know me, too. "here comes that crazy lady who never shuts up about the butterflies and hummingbirds."
I have flat and curly parsley but never a BF egg. I tried rue, but it started great and then fizzled. I will try it again this year as well as bronze fennel.

Glen Burnie, MD

I have 2 bronze fennel plants that have been in the ground several years & are growing again, even after the brutal temps we had this winter. The one in my south-side foundation garden grew to about 4' last year! At one point it had 35 BST cats! My rue plant finally died last year, after about 5yrs. It had been very hard to find. I bought it in a cheapo tin pot that I really only bought for a quick holiday decoration (Memorial Day). I never expected it to last very long, so I didn't take very good care of it - but the durn thing refused to give in. Imagine my surprise when it bloomed the next year. I replanted it in a whiskey barrel & it thrived. Hope I have the same luck with the new one.

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Having trouble getting my bronze fennel seeds to germinate. I always have dill, and the cats seem to like it, but really want the darn fennell!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Tn- Newport. May be soil, do you soak in water/peroxide mix with seeds? They may need more of a poorer soil...

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Kittriana- I soak the seeds usually overnight and use a seed starting medium for germination. I haven't tried peroxide. what is the ratio peroxide to water? I broke down and bought a plant yesterday while I was out trying to find a spicebush.hardly anyone has it, and I want a female so it will produce fruit So, if my seeds dont work out, I have a bronze fennel insurance policy!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ooooh, you are asking me for a memory that is probably faulty there. Spicebushes are hard to find.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

http://www.betterthangreens.com/Hydrogen-Peroxide-Dept/437/ my ref page for forgettin moments

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Chuckl, you had me jugglin aristolochia and spicebush there, gonna try fennel again, dill loves my house and i am trying to gather more milkweed seeds..

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

MW seeds, humph! I gathered a HUGE amount of asclepias syriaca seeds, thinking of seed bombs. Well, I tried a germination test, and out of at least 150 seeds, ONE came up. I did all and any method of germination helpers(soaking,chilling,etc) for just one little sprout! I have a big mason jar full of syriaca seed and am still finding fluff around the house. Now, my a.tuberosa comes up great from seed and from last years plant. and I have a MW incarnata finally coming up. I hope it will bloom this year, so I will have seeds. I will round out my MW obsession with some a.curassavica seeds from a DG member that should be in my mailbox soon.(seeds in the mailbox, not the DG member! lol!) Can't wait to try them out.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

scarlet, do you think that means they had not been fertilized?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

In the native and wild forum Amanda talks about a necessary 'cold and moist' for 2 to 3 months in the fridge. syriaca is one of several requiring that step for germination. I have cruised southward thru Okla today searching for MW and running theu my mind where I see them growing the best. Memory serves to tell me they are thickest and not appearing stressed where winter lingers long- Va/WVa/ northern regions NC, etc. Did you do the cold/moist stratification for at least 2mo?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I grow them here Syrica , their native , and still Difficult .. Tuberosa takes forever to mature here
And seasons are difficult for Incarnata .
They grow , But I won't bet on seed germination of most , They grow where they want to , when they want to , Regardless of us and professors ...

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I dont seem to ever see them in clumps, maybe they hate each other! Hey Ju!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey back to you Kitt ! True ,, You hardly ever see a really old plant that has or will form a clump .
About three stalks to a runner , is about it ..Takes a bunch of space for a milkweed field .
From time to time they will pop up around the yard . about June . I let them grow .
Not an ideal garden type plant ..
Saw an American lady today .. moving too much to get a pic though .

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, folks, Good points, all.
I don't know if the seeds were fertilized. I collected them from some clumps in open fields and along a country road. I assume they had a good strat period, because I collected them in the early spring, after being outside all winter. The ones I got in the fall of last year are separate. I tried the fridge for at least 30 days with a damp paper towel. So maybe it needed ore time. The ONE that i got to sprout was in a cup of water with about 50 seeds that I had almost forgotten about.
I think juhur7 has summed it up, these plants are masters of their own destinies. You can't fool mother nature!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.