Dog Proof Groundcover

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I have a large sweet gum tree surrounded by liorope located between the sidewalk and street. It seems to be the favorite pee post for all of the dogs in the neighborhood--and we have a lot of dogs in our neighborhood. I would like to add some kind of additional evergreen groundcover since no grass will grow under its canopy. What would deter or at least survive the dogs? I would even be receptive to a low growing (1-1.5 ft.) shrub.

Oops, liriope.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2013 6:35 AM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I hope these dogs are not loose dogs. If they are leashed dogs on a walk, maybe you could put up a sign? I know I would respect that. If they are loose.....ugh. :( I am not sure about plants, but I am interested in the answers. I have a sweet gum tree and wild liriope in my backyard.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I can't think of an evergreen groundcover suitable for your purpose.
Wintergreen (gaultheria procumbens) is evergreen, but doesn't do well with humidity.
I have a cute little evergreen honeysuckle (lonicera crassifolia) which is ground-hugging.
It's a little obscure - so I don't know how tough it is.
But being a honeysuckle, I'd think it would be pretty tough.
I like mondo grass, especially the dwarf variety (ophiopogon nana);
it's hardy for me, but it's on the same theme as liriope.
I think liriope is about as tough as they come; maybe you should stick with it.
There are some pretty variegated cultivars to choose from.
Classy groundcovers sells bulk quantities of groundcovers at good prices.
You might peruse their selection http://classygroundcovers.com/

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks for your replies.

The vast majority of dogs belong to people in the neighborhood and are leashed. I do believe our neighbors would probably respect a sign, so I'll add that. I'm also thinking about putting up a short (2 ft. or less) fence, possibly a picket fence since we have a craftsman house.

I did decide to add a couple of rows of Silver Dragon liriope around the existing green liriope. I am also going to fill in the rest of the area with pachysandra. I realize it is not as tough as the liriope, but I'm always attracted to it when I see it in a nursery, so I'm going to try it. Perhaps with the sign and possibly some kind of short fence in the future, it will make it.

When I finish planting the area, I'll post pictures.

I love honeysuckle, even the old fashioned invasive kind, because the scent reminds me of my grandmother's house. I've thought about trying a bush type. What is the name of yours?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You could always use a little humor in the sign:

Please do not allow your dog to pee on our flowers.

It makes them dead and hard to see.

I saw it long ago in front of a store and had to laugh. My dog was at home.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.