Fubuki hakonechloa - anyone have experience with it

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

I just bought one fubuki grass to try in the front of my house which is almost total shade, maybe an hour or two of sun when it first comes up in the morning. I read (in a most reliable source - Wikipedia!) that, like all mostly white plants, it is not very vigorous. Does anyone know anything about that statement and have any ideas on how to keep it longer?

Thumbnail by cindyeo
Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Cindy ~ Where did you buy it? I bought one at Bluestone Perennials but it was so tiny and it died.

I, also, have a new shade garden. I have a few sedges in there as well as liriope which plays well against the silver leaves of the lamium and pulmonaria.

What else did you plant in there?

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

I bought it at my local agway. I'm going to put it in my front foundation planting which has a couple white azaleas, a white snowball viburnum, a couple Japanese maples, a white clump birch and a few specimen pines. But I was looking at it this time of year and its very dark. So I bought the fubuki and I have some white variegated hosta in another part of my yard which I will divide and move later this fall. I'm thinking of a couple white begonias next summer also.

But I hope my fubuki lives . .

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

There has been an explosion of new hakonechloa macra cultivars.
I love hakonechloa and have several beautiful stands of the older cultivars,
Aureola and All Gold.
I've of course been intrigued by the new cultivars,
but haven't seen any established plantings to decide whether they are improvements or not.
So I haven't bought any of the new versions yet.
So I hope yours thrives so you can show us it's full glory in a year or two.
Here are a couple pix of my 'older' hakonechloa cultivars.
#1 is Aureola along my shady driveway.
#2 is All Gold also along my driveway, but in a decidedly more sunny location.

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.