Projects 16

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Spent the weekend "trimming" the rodo's that line our property that had grown to small trees and self rooted. Had a major bonfire yesterday and still have 4 or 5 to trim.

Will post a couple of the mad chopping later this week.

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

I guess you could call these projects - some cairns I built while on vaca in maine a couple weeks ago.

this was the first one I built in front of the home we were staying in, one of sunrise and another of owl's head light house.

Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

collecting stone on the beach below owl's head light and some cairns

Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Beautiful, Bill. The cairns look like little pagodas.

Thomaston, CT

Bill, those are awesome! And just a beautiful spot to vacation.......

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Cool, Bill!!! What a lovely area!

When our son was hiking a part of the AT recently, they came across an area by some water where there were lots of cairns that hikers had built. The pics he had of it were cool. He felt bad when he knocked a couple of rocks off. He tried to get them back.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thanks folks here are some more - went to post them last night and they looked sideways in the preview even though I had rotated them - they looked right in the post

Still look sideways.........

built these on an island a mile across the straight - wind was blowing pretty good, the first one had to be rebuilt although it got taller to 14 stones.

Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is the last bunch built the last day - built a whole bunch of them and then balanced tall vertical single stones between them. Had quite a few folks stop by and take pictures - one lady who said she owned an art gallery was asking if I could do a workshop.

they did not last the tide

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Bill, if you run a class, you can call it a mindfulness exercise and attract the self improvement crowd.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I was thinking as I was looking at these that it would be cool to go back a year later and find them still there with more added. Then I read they didn't last the tide. I enjoyed these. One looked like an animal balancing something on its head. I especially liked the one with the contrasting light and dark rocks.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thanks - it is very relaxing

Thomaston, CT

Loved the round rock one......I bet tons of folks would sign up for a class like that....cairns are very popular....

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

very cool!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I thought of you Bill when I built one at the caboose camping site. Though mine was not like yours.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

started re-building the wall in the back I took a shot of a while back. only got a few feet of it built even though I was out there 6 hours or so - they just were not falling in place

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

It was a really good day and weekend for being outside so I think I understand Bill's enthusiasm. Way to go.

I weeded, edged and added soil. The local tru-value hardware store is selling Scotts .75 cubic foot bags of prepared soil for a dollar each. Going back for more tomorrow. More plants are going into the ground and I'm starting to feel proud when walking around. DH agreed on which trees we will have cut in preparation for the water feature and patio next year and some for safety.

Anyone got any great experience with saving trees that have a split at the fork? We've been hoping to save the most scenic of our mulberry trees, but it's separated all the way to the ground and some of the bark at the ground is gone. We've seen people insert a bar, but does it work?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Great thread Bill.Love the cairns.It must be like meditation.

Thomaston, CT

Rosemary, the damage to the mulberry sounds too great......I spent the morning priming the new upstairs windows....will paint them on Wed. when I get some free time.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Yep, that's what we think, but two garden and tree guys have looked in past years, and they thought the tree had strong roots, which puzzles us greatly. Maybe this is the year to bring it down.

Isn't it nice to have it a little cooler to get house projects done?

Thomaston, CT

Yes, I do have some projects waiting....fence painting for one!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Just found this thread, Bill. These cairns are fantastic. I love that first one you built on the windy day, and the one a couple shots later looks like a pregnant woman in stone. Very artistic all the way around. The cairns hank built down at the pond have sparked a contest to see who has more determination....the kids who love to knock them all down on Saturday nights or the man who keeps building them right back for them. LOL.

You really could turn this talent of yours into a retirement fund somehow! When you do it, it is far more than stacking and balancing stones. There is such artistic creativity in each one. I agree that many have a pagoda-like quality.

I had a bad day today, and seeing the foliage on my way home from the doctor and now looking at these creations in this thread brought me back to counting blessings. Boy does it help! Thanks, Pal!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

glad you liked them - nice way to spend an hour or so on the beach

Thomaston, CT

Hope you are feeling better, Louise......Fall isn't a happy time for me, so I agree that looking at nature & all the beauties around us gives us comfort.......

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Marilyn. Today is a new day, as i knew it would be. A grateful heart and a good nap can work wonders, can't they? The thoughtful friends we have here on DG really make a difference. I am excited that Bill will have a RU in June so that we can see people we've really missed seeing. And Bill and Cindy's place is just so beautiful....more so every time i see it. It is great to have that to look forward to! 😎

Thomaston, CT

You're so right......helps the winter pass!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

finished the re-building the rock wall today in the middle of yard. may need so more work as I could not keep the height consistent - it kept getting taller and then leveled out about half way - I grab some pictures later this week

South Hamilton, MA

Considering our messy day, you did well to get it built.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Looking forward to the pics from the wall project.

I managed two hours of digging and mixing soil between rain showers today. The wheelbarrow of sand made it up the hill with help from DH just before it poured rain. There may be room for another peony where there used to be an underground sand and rock pile. The rocks are now part of a growing dry bed nearby. I was suspicious when

nothing grew there. There is also an underground boulder nearby but noone has the energy go find out if it's attached to anything.

Thomaston, CT

It was awful here weather-wise......3" of rain fell, showers all day today & now high winds.....can't get into the garden for any reason!

South Hamilton, MA

Heavier rain predicted for here overnight. since Fri. 7/8 of an inch. paertly cloudy at the moment.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

has a couple down pours with more to come tonight

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Good timing here, as the high winds started around 5:45, then rain at 6 until it became rather heavy by 8 pm. It gave me exactly half an hour after work to dump and mix six bags of soil and plant that lucky peony root. Its neighbors only got good soil well under their feet from digging sand caves. Who said we can't play like kids?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

nice:)

ordered some hellebores and a new blue/silver caryopteris from deer resistant plants and a couple smoke bush and more caryopteris from rarefind - caryopteris is a nice plant for fall color

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I planted a bunch of helebores last spring.
I love them then we get blooms in March.
Compost guy is coming Thursday.Cant wait to have that job done.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I've ordered two different compact Caryopteris for fall. Great minds think alike... Also, an Ashei magnolia, two ginkos for pots and a seven son flowers tree to attract Monarch butterflies. Avant Gardens was having a 20% off sale, and I always build an order at Lazy Ss Nursery. Seems all the really choice unusual stuff is selling out so the spring ordering gets earlier and earlier.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

did not see the 20% at avant - rarefind is having their 25% off - DRP was normal pricing which is still good.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I love Rarefind, but the stuff I wanted there was sold out, but available at Avant Gardens. Hope you got what you wanted, Bill, cause a sale is a terrible thing to waste :)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I got a few new things at our local nursery the other day including Caryopteris White Surprise. It is the one that I love the most, and it is blooming now. I also picked up a new, for me, Salvia azurea Nekan that should be hardy as the Nekan stands for Nebraska and Kansas. The nursery had a sale section with some up to 75% off, but I was feeling poorly so didn't do much more damage. A couple of clematis( Alan Bloom & Gillian Blades), Achillea (Strawberry Seduction), Baptisia(Twilight Prairie Blues) and 2 nice big Prunus maritima and another new plant that I hadn't seen before, Ajania pacifica. Alas none have been planted due to my latest malady. I finally decided that I needed to go see my doctor this morning, but he was away so I went to ER. I was diagnosed with a bad case of Shingles. Awaiting meds, especially the pain pills as I feel lousy. Another Medical malady that is causing me lost time in the garden. But not terminal, just and inconvenience.

I don't dare look for anything else until I can plant these new kids so I will avoid the Avant site. So I am house bound for a while and will enjoy catching up with all on DG. If I sound loopy it is the drugs. Patti

South Hamilton, MA

I have to find if the Rite Aid gives the shingles shot. flu vaccine first tomorrow.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh my, Patti! Feel better SOON!! They can be very painful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images