Have your flowers been late this year?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Lots of my flowers are two or more weeks late. The David phlox and another tall light purple only bloomed the last week in August. Ligularia dentate is only now in full bloom. I decided to post this question when I discovered that folks in Connecticut and Tennessee were have similar experiences. Similar goings on in the veggie garden. What gives? If you have experienced this, do you have a hypothesis?

TIA
LAS

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

What a crazy year. I have Digitalis Camelot, Nigella and Sweet Peas blooming for the first time or about to. My David White Phlox bloomed late and went to seed in a heartbeat. Roses are suddenly blooming again, first time since the spring flush. Cosmos just showed itself. Many summer flowers have just about quit- Potentilla, Salvias, Veronicas, Phlox (except for one exhuberant volunteer). In general, the garden looks like mid fall. I think it got too hot too fast and too early, stalling the cool weather lovers. Then suddenly in early August, the nights started going down into the 60's and even 50's. I guess that's what triggered them, and also shut down most of the heat lovers and veggies. Strange!

Edited for typo

This message was edited Sep 4, 2013 11:45 PM

Thumbnail by Pfg
Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Now that you mention it, the morning glory is crazy late and caryopteris just now coming in.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have the same problem here in NJ. It was a cold spring early summer and then so wet. The summer has been cool also except for a few weeks. Cold nights here too.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

My morning glory is now budding and some of my asters are full bloom and some are not.We have been having very cool nights and mild days .

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Turks Cap just starting to bud - not bloom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.