The beauty of wild violets

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Some people curse them as weeds, but they are beautiful to me.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Well this goes back to what I always say: one man's weed is another man's wildflower! :)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Exactly. I like wild violets of all kinds. Of course, I don't have a garden or yard that is formal in design. All very casual with lots of wildflowers and natives. :)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Casual and informal describes my style exactly!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Do you have any photos?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

These are of my front perennial wildflower bed that I'm totally in love with. It's a constantly evolving creation.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's another garden that I'm quite fond of. I don't have any better pics of this one. It's glory is the spring and I'm hoping to add more summer and early fall interest this year.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh my, those are stunning. Right up my alley, so to speak. I like the border too. Did you already have the rocks on your property?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I went to some construction sites and asked the excavators if I could have them. I picked them all by hand and brought them in my beater truck. Probably 6 truckloads with the bed 2/3 full each time. Lots of work but I love it! The best part about it is they were all free :)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes, it's a great border. Free makes it even greater, IMHO. I did that in CA and hauled in lots of rock (not quite as large as yours) but here I haven't done it. I did bring a few of the rocks from CA. Yeah, I'm goofy like that sometimes.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...I don't think that's goofy. My parents live in the Phoenix AZ area and when I visited them in August '11, I brought home a piece of red sandstone. It was funny because I only had a carryon and I brought it through security. They flagged me and did a thorough search but the lady who was doing the search had a sense of humor and she let me go. I have that rock set right outside my garage so I see it all the time.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I still can't find the photo. I could have gone outside and take 100 photos by now. lol.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

haha...but it's cold outside :) At least it is here.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

It's 42 at the moment. We've had a run of warm weather although we'll have some lower temps in a few days.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah, it's really sad, I think this March will be much like last March, at least for my area. You may be somewhat normal. I'm an amateur weather enthusiast and from what I'm seeing, there will be a trough in the east and a crazy ridge in the west. Layman's terms: a cold start to spring for most of us in the mid Atlantic to Northeast :(

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

After this warm weather, we'll be having some very cold weather again (for us). At least down into the teens. I'm tired of the cold and wish it would warm and stay warm. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way. Mainly, I detest ice. We really haven't had much of that this winter and I'm grateful. I don't know how some people are dealing with their heating bills. There has been cold damage, I'm sure, and I'm waiting to see how all the perennials fared - especially those in pots. I'm fairly certain I lost some. :(

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah I hear you. We're expecting some single digits later this week. I had some burn on both of our cryptomeria and I even sprayed the one with wilt pruf. This winter will surely be a windfall for nurseries and mail orders :)

I've seen that this winter has been a zone buster in several parts of the country. I know central Ohio and parts of Georgia have had some temps fall below the mins for their zones. I'm sure a lot of people will be disappointed when their beloved plants don't make it.

When I plant things, I try to look for hardiness a zone to the north of us. We're in 6b so I generally look for hardiness of zone 5. Occasionally I'll throw in a 6 but not frequently. That way I'm safe even if we have a terrible winter.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

That's a good idea. They changed our zone from 6b to 7a so I had a bit of a cushion anyway, I suppose. I do see there is some burn on some of the evergreens but that may drop when the new growth begins. Some of the semps have frozen and they are usually hardy to something like zone 3, but at least one variety I have apparently aren't. The main problems would be with containerized plants here, I think. I hope the cold at least has gotten some of the insects that cause damage as well.

Do you have many plants in containers?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah that's one great thing about a cold winter; less bugs!

I don't prefer to grow in containers. Perhaps my pallet hasn't developed enough to consider them. I find them a hassle because one always has to worry about their watering needs and hardiness issues. In the future I might use containers as a way of growing non hardy plants and overwintering them in the garage.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes, sometimes containers can be work. We usually have enough rainfall to keep things watered but occasionally in July or August I may have to do some hand-watering. I've learned to group containers together to make that a whole lot easier. Especially back by the rain barrel.

I grow my peppers and tomatoes in pots. And have a raised side-door planter on the deck for some herbs, beets, carrots, greens mostly.

I have a lot of non-hardy plants in containers. Some I keep on a tall rolling plant shelf that I just roll out in the warm weather and roll into the garage for winter.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Very nice assortment you have going there! We have a tiny garage that is just big enough for my wife's Mazda 3. I don't have any extra room to store plants in containers not to mention that our garage is pitch black when the door is down. Eventually, I'd like to get a shed and a garage door with windows but that's not in the cards at the moment.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks. I get that. Our garage is a single-car garage too. And dark without a grow light or two hanging around. The car has to stay out or under the carport because the garage is full of "stuff". I'm sure the stuff must have been essential at one time (lol), but some of it I haven't looked through in years. In CA, we always had windows in the garage doors. I miss that.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah windows in the garage doors is a key thing I think. Our house has so little storage space. We have a bi-level and the fact that we can still park a car in the garage after four years and no shed is pretty amazing. I want to get some new lawn tools this summer and my wife asked me where I'm going to put them and I have no clue! LOL

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hope you get that shed. :)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha, yeah me too but I don't think that's going to happen too soon. My wife an I are saving to put an addition onto our house and hopefully at that time the shed happens :)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Seems there's never enough room for all of our plants.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah that's always the case. My wife is getting tired of seeing new beds spring up all the time. Personally, I think grass is overrated, that's what they make parks for :)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Way overrated. There are much better uses for our resources. :)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

More violets ? nice little wild ones ..

oops ,, oh well , what would the bees do without dandelions .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Natures lovely naturals! Nice pics :)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Those have got to be the most pure white violets I have ever seen. Lovely.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Very nice, ju. Someone gave me a clump of pure white violas several years ago but, alas, they are nowhere to be found anymore. I think they must have reverted. :(

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

These are wild , most in the neighbors yard . White ones like the dappled shade , like the Very old Magnolia they are mostly growing under .
That and a few other larger trees .

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

My clump was wild too and I thought I had them in part shade. Maybe not. I have a huge Norway Spruce out back with lots of violas under it. :)

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Will the natural blue violets bloom all season or just in the spring?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

In the spring but ours here have a long blooming season.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.