Whats the best flea treatment for out side cats?

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

My three cats prefer to be outside this time of year, but still like to come in and hang out with us sometimes. I have tried bathing them, using the flea Bio Spot treatment. Using the flea spray by Hartz for the house. But I am still finding fleas on me every now and then and flea residue on the furniture. Is there a better flea treatment that I don't know about? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks Marie

Thumbnail by marie_kap
Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Please, please do not use any flea treatment by Hartz!

I use (plain) Advantage or (plain) Frontline and it works well. I buy the largest dog size that I can get and split the dosage out for cats. For my guys, the dosage is .8 ml. (it goes roughly by weight). I have a syringe minus the needle that I use to measure. Check in back threads as there is an excellent one where our resident Vet - PalmBob gives us the 411 on cat flea meds.

Be thankful that we live where it freezes and the fleas die - in California fleas are almost an epidemic!

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

There are others but this is one of the long ones
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/899231/

PalmBob comments start 12 posts down.

This message was edited Sep 10, 2013 7:20 PM

Thank you Doug!

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Addendum: Do not use ANY products made by Hartz. Ever. Even if they are free. Worst pet supplier hands down.

Orlando, FL(Zone 10a)

When I had carpet indoors I used Adams Flea Off spray. I now use Adams Plus Flea & Tick Mist on my small, washable area rugs as needed. The Adams Plus has insect growth regulator, and a side effect is that if you have roaches, it sterilizes them, too! (I'm currently roach-free!) This is central Florida - even if the cat never goes out, all it takes is to have one flea hitchhike in on a shoe or pant leg and you've quickly got an infestation - it never gets cold enough long enough to kill the pests outside. I no longer use flea spray on the cats; I use Advantage. Since Adams is for use ON pets, it's safe for use in their residence; I'm extremely cautious about pesticides and chemicals used around my critters. Even when I had several indoor-outdoor cats, the Adams seemed to keep the house flea free.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I use Revolution...............kills ear mites and if I remember right some worms too. I get the 80 pound dog dose and divvy it up for the cats. 1/2 cc per cat as per vet instructions.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i was always told never to use a dog product on a cat...maybe that has changed now? the best outdoor cat treatment is the same as the indoor treatment, imho....advantage for cats.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

The dividing of the 80 pound dog dose for the cats came from my vet. He said it is the exact same product and it was much cheaper for me to do that. I trust my vet; I have no reason not to. This was for Revolution............maybe others are different???

I have been dividing dog doses for cats for years, too.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

didn't mean to imply that you all were wrong...just new to me.
i do divide my dog doses for the dogs. one vial per month, split between these two works well for me and saves money.

somewhere, PA

We've used frontline for years but found it stopped working on the fleas a couple years ago. We almost lost our poor Scirocco, who is just devastatingly sensitive to them. She stopped eating and dropped almost half her weight (from her healthy/not fat starting point of about 10lbs. Was at 6lbs at her lowest but is now back around 7.5lbs. Slim but she's thriving otherwise).

Advantage didn't solve the problem either. But mostly we wanted something for the ticks too so we now use Revolution. Which does take care of a lot of parasites as well as fleas & ticks.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Revolution is good, I use that. Oh, I guess I said that 3 months ago. LOL

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

The revolution is by vet only?

somewhere, PA

I believe so. That's where we get ours. It is quite expensive. A little
more than Frontline Plus

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Yes, I think you need to get it from a vet.

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

The vet prescribes Revolution, for my cats, but I get it from the Costco pharmacy - still expensive...

somewhere, PA

Lizzipa - it doesn't show up on their website. Is it less than at your vet?

I use a mobile vet & she doesn't dispense rx's. If I remember correctly, it's $25 per treatment. They have to special order it - takes about a week. I know that the other rx I get for one of my cats (methiozole) is cheaper there.

somewhere, PA

We pay $15 per treatment with our vet. I think Frontline Plus was $12ea. I'll check Costco when I'm there.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

That's why you are better off to get the dog dose and separate it out. I just draw it out with a 3cc syringe....1/2 cc at a time, separate the fur on the kitty's neck and dribble it on the skin. No need to take off the needle; at least I don't. You could if you want, tho. It's such a small amount.

Tammy,

FYI, I picked up some Revolution @ Costco yesterday. It was about $14 per treatment (after I filled out a form for "patient" without insurance - LOL!).

somewhere, PA

I just picked up mine from the vet. It was $11 per treatment! They gave us 2 free with a 6 treatment box. I'll still check w/Costco as I'm wondering if its just more in Ca.

I, too, was wondering if it was the "bay area" pricing syndrome.

I live in Connecticut and paid $85 for 8 treatments as the 2 free for 6 special was going on.

somewhere, PA

That's what I paid here (I rounded that to $11ea)

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Lots cheaper than that if you get the dog dose. I think it was $18.00, and I could treat 4 cats with it using 1/2cc each.

somewhere, PA

I should have asked about the dog dose when I was there but my kitty Fred was howling to get home and I just didn't want to open the discussion. But what a huge savings! With 5 cats, that will make a huge difference.

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

I Swear by Advantage. I buy the xtra large dog size and dose 7 cats (4 of which are outside all the time..by choice) and a small dog and we are flea free. This has saved me a fortune! i could never afford the monthly spot on a one tube per pet cost. I check for ticks and get them off asap. There are alot of tick friendly places by my house.
In addition to the biting and scratching misery, fleas carry tapeworm larvae. These are very common nasties that look like (wiggling) rice ugh!. Most wormers do not kill tapeworms and the pills are expensive... $18 for 3 pills. So, getting rid of fleas helps keep them from getting tapeworms.
****DO NOT ASSUME ANY DOG FLEA PRODUCT IS OK FOR CATS!! CHECK WITH A VET***
also, don't guess at dosage, the needleless syringes are free at my vet but if you must buy them, they are cheap.
Revolution is a great product also. I have only used it for young kittens but it worked like a charm! Poor babies were INFESTED with fleas and ear mites( not to mention starving) and Revolution did the trick.

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

I was looking for a non toxic flea treatment after having a cat have panic and or some neurological reaction to flea drops..then to a flea collar on another cat
I found Pet Guard brewers yeast and garlic in a wafer.
You give a dog or cat over 6 months old
one wafer cut in half for each 10 lbs of weight ..be fore breakfast each day
So if a dog weight 40 lbs you give it 4 wafers ..each morning like a treat
then feed its food to it..
A cat weights 15 pounds you give it one and half wafers ..going by weight.

It works! My outdoor cats have not had fleas ..and not had ticks. in 3 years..
in the south ..we are out in the rural area in woods with many deer and wildlife here.

I found one tick on one cat in 3 years and pulled it off..if they do get on them they do not like their blood due to the Pet Guard ingredients in the cat or dog.
I am truthful and have posted to Amazon where I buy mine and you can buy on the phone from the pet guard company in the usa.

I am so happy to share that I stop pet owners at pet smart and other places like walmart in the pet aisle to share this with them and many are using it now.

there is one other that is the same called Four Paws.
that is sold on Amazon and also a company called Jeffers Pet supply from Alabama.
You might check those in search and put in Four Paws Supplement it has the brewers yeast and garlic also for dogs or cats. This does not harm them or they would not have been in business for years..successfully..My cats only go to a vet once a year for their rabies shot
they are healthy at 4, 6 , and 7 years old.

My cats are beautiful, s hiny coats, happy and no chemicals on them.
Sheri/sheridragonflys

Thumbnail by Sheridragonflys Thumbnail by Sheridragonflys Thumbnail by Sheridragonflys Thumbnail by Sheridragonflys Thumbnail by Sheridragonflys
Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

What lovely darlings! Lucky cats, lucky you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.